Well... I've entered the world of M4gery 16"

power5

Anderson 16" RF85 upper. Anderson closed lower. MOE stock. Bushnell trs25. Just put it together. Need to get to range to adjust sight.
0c02fdfc52de54d660fc59ace921c5c1.jpg

rickyrick

Let's get a review on that red dot when you use it

I've been thinking about picking up a couple of those exact ones

But I'll probably get a weaver 1-4 for the carbine

power5

Not an AR expert by any stretch but the dot is not too bad so far. This just involves looking through it last night and seeing how quick I can acquire the dot when bringing rifle up. Very bright but again it was night so. Lots of favorable reviews is why I picked it up. Only slight wish would be for it to have flip up covers instead of the elastic rubber covers. This will only be a defense and range gun so there will be no testing the dot when rolling around in the dirt. I am not that fond of the riser that came with it. Does not seem to be a great fit. May look at a larue since they claim you can remove without having to rezero. Not that I intend to remove the dot.

I plan on heading to the range this weekend to break her in though so will report back.

rickyrick

UTG.... But I suspect that several sellers use the same sight....
I swapped the springs and such out of a real milspec carry handle sight... Just to ensure reliability.... Even though it seemed fine on its own...

But if you are handy with a dremel and have a carry handle laying around; you can make one, because all it really is just a cut down carry handle

power5

Red dot worked a charm. Only had a chance to shoot 50 rounds at 25 yards though. Not sure how it will be at farther distances. Maybe next weekend.

MoBart

I really like the mid length systems better then carbibe. Since we can't have 14" barrels without the paperwork and tax stamp I'd just as soon have more sight radius and more hand placement options for diffrent shooting positions. I built this out of a delton kit for $425 from ctd. I have about 300 rounds through it so far and like the hell out of it. I'm building a 20" rifle next and planning on the same maker for the kit.

MoBart

Plus I can mount a bayonet properly on a midlength. Doubt I'll ever have a need to it bayonets but the idea of haveing one and being able to use it is a suprisingly big deal to me lol

rickyrick

I wanted a middy but in the end, the lower cost of the carbine cancelled out the marginal advantage that I would notice through my shooting habits... It will have a conventional magnified rifle scope with either a duplex reticle or crosshair. So the sight radius issue goes away....
M4 cut is just incidental to availability... From my test firing, it seems that it doesn't affect performance lol... It's just there.

MoBart

I couldn't get my pic to load for some reason.

The leather looks great. I am sure it makes the grip feel better and fuller obviously but does it make the hand guard bulkier? Have you fired it enough to see a change in heat dissipation? I don't know if I'd do it on one but the work is really creative and nicely done.

rickyrick

All the vent holes match up, so I don't suspect heat will be a problem... The pistol grip is a standard a2 style underneath, so the added material puts it just the right size

power5

Let's get a review on that red dot when you use it
I've been thinking about picking up a couple of those exact ones
But I'll probably get a weaver 1-4 for the carbine
(in reference to my Bushnell TRS25 Reddot
Anderson RF85 16" upper. Anderson closed lower. MOE stalk. Bushnell trs 25 red dot. Not hanging off the front anymore. Back one notch.

e94ac6d96919db2a62efa0fd853f5d5c.jpg

a4399ec22395c6943ccd52c7efbb1087.jpg

50yrds with the AR today. Bench rest. 1 second between shots. Wish I had a picture of my unsupported 2x 30rnd mag dumps after I finished sighting in at 25 yrds. Shots were peppered inside the black area. I do not have lots of patience or much desire to sit for the perfect groups. I am always just looking for operationally accurate enough.
Only issue with the reddot was that it loosened up while I was sighting it in. First the mount, then the dot. No loctite unless there was some from factory. I will probably loosen both mount screws and add some before my next trip out. Then re-sight it in to make sure its on target.

As for the anderson rifle, after about the first 20 rounds with a handful of random FTFires requiring flipping to safe and back to fire, I had zero issues from then on. So far I am very happy with this rifle. Except when it maliciously burned my hand after I set it down and then grabbed the barrel to straighten it up on the wall so it wouldnt fall. :( :facepalm: No blisters but 5 minutes later it was a bit more painful to shoot for the rest of my hour range time. Do love having an indoor 100 yard range 15 miles from my house. Don't have to sit in the melting snowy mud.

Tucker 1371

Congrats! Hope you enjoy your new toy, I certainly have mine! PSA were great folks to deal with and their prices are hard to beat.

I built this using a PSA barreled mid length upper (with A2 hand guard) and a locally bought Anderson lower. Eventually added the BCM 13" Keymod rail, Aimpoint, and AAC flash hider.

Ignore the blasphemy I have committed against my M1A below :D