Weird. I didn't order a pizza

PH/CIB

Pizza Guy

Rule number one, never ever answer the door, unless the smoke alarm or burglar alarm inside your house is going off and it is the Firefighters or Police outside on your doorstep, or you can identify the person as friend or family without opening the door, all others take a hike.

Rule number two, never answer the phone, unless you have identified the caller by caller ID and actually want to talk to them, or have listened to their message on the answering machine.

Rule number three, delete and never answer or open any emails that you cannot identify.

And the most important rule of all, never be without your firearm and knife.

Old Woodsmen

Look, all that Cris B is saying is just keep your guard up. I live in a low population rural area with a town of about 1,500 pop. four miles away, for as small as it is the amount of druggies that live there seems unnaturally high. But when I have talked to people from other towns they pretty much see the same thing. Now most of my neighbors are aware of the same druggy vehicles that go back and forth on the county road in front of our homes, those people so far have never come up our driveways, though in their minds they have probably catalogued when we're home and when we're not. Usually these guys are not the problem, over the years it's been unknown vehicles were they come up driveways asking for gas or gas money or to sell some thing for fuel or food. A few months ago a car pulled half way up my neighbors driveway and told my neighbor there had been someone killed down past our place. It was probably good that she has a large nasty sounding dog and that her son came out to talk to them. On the other hand the people in that car could have been casing out my neighbors home. So far I've not heard or read of anyone being shot, though there are some mining claims on the creek where people live that that could have happened. Truth is we are living in some really bad economic times with unemployement far more than is reported, if you don't think that there are opportunists that want to take advantage of you or your neighbor in any way possible then you may get blindsided when you lest expect it. Always be aware!

Last edited:

Old Woodsmen

Wildalaska why would you want to leave the safety of the areas you lived in the N.E. for the high cost of living in the Anchorage area?

Onward Allusion

Good rules to live by.

PH/CIB

Pizza Guy
Rule number one, never ever answer the door, unless the smoke alarm or burglar alarm inside your house is going off and it is the Firefighters or Police outside on your doorstep, or you can identify the person as friend or family without opening the door, all others take a hike.

Rule number two, never answer the phone, unless you have identified the caller by caller ID and actually want to talk to them, or have listened to their message on the answering machine.

Rule number three, delete and never answer or open any emails that you cannot identify.

And the most important rule of all, never be without your firearm and knife.

riggins_83

Uh huh, riiight. First, I never let complete strangers answer my door as they are never generally in my house with very few exceptions. As far as complete strangers finding out I carry a firearm around the house all the time? Well, since me and a few other neighbors started OCing, crime has virtually stopped on the block, go figure. Neighborhood watches work, if you work at them.

I miss worded sorry. I mean you're letting people who you open the door for know you have firearm(s) in the house. I've quit answering the door at home unless it's a friend, UPS or Fedex. Nobody else can have anything I'm interested in. Long as you don't scare the girl scouts away.. those are good cookies!!

/peace

Stevie-Ray

you're letting people who you open the door for know you have firearm(s) in the house. I've quit answering the door at home unless it's a friend, UPS or Fedex. Nobody else can have anything I'm interested in. Long as you don't scare the girl scouts away.. those are good cookies!!
Not necessarily. If you carry the only firearm you own, it is never really left in the house but rather on you at all times. Many I know own only one firearm and that's their HD and carry weapon. And I'm the same way, not generally answering the door at all, until I've found out who's there. Lucky for me there are windows on either side of the porch on both my houses. If I don't know them, I don't answer, especially at night. In the summertime, though, that's a bit tougher to do with the inner door open (Which my wife insists on) and people yammering through the screen at you. It's usually met with a "I'm not interested!" Girl Scouts in our area don't go door to door. They usually sit in parking lots and create a drive-thru of sorts. And my yearly cookie bill runs around 40 bucks.;)

langenc

from post #6

I never answer the door without a .357 magnum snub-nosed revolver in a pocket with my hand on it. Simplifies things.

To original poster et al:
I am surprised you didnt have your 'friend' along.. esp when all you saw at the door was one delivery dude w/ hands full. If not taking the 'friend' dont even go to the door.

markj

Wish I could get a pizza delivered to me....... where I live I have to drive into town and go to dennys for the best pizza around.

I wonder what was in the bag?

N.H. Yankee

About the time he wanted to come in, I would have let my 105 pound dog with no sense of humor take care of both him and the pizza.

ET.

When a gun is pulled in a situation it creates a new dynamic. Either it will cause the opponent to stand down or attack. I know that I have created an either/or situation. Most times it is resolved with no one getting shot, but the only other option is some one goes out on a stretcher. I'm not judging what the OP says he would have done if he had his gun. I wasn't there. I just know that I will pull my gun knowing that I have changed the situation & I am prepared to blow the guy in front of me away.

Knowing exactly when (or if) to pull your gun is a crap shoot. Pull it too early and you just fricked up. Pull it too late and you just fricked up. Pull it when you shouldn't have pulled it at all & you just fricked up. Carrying a gun carries a ton of responsibility with it. I don't take that lightly.

psyfly

Chiming in again after an absence.

From a few posts ago concerning my "Busted...what for?" and associated answers.

1. I was talking about the person who posted doing such a thing not that I would necessarily do so.
2. Even so, I live in Texas. If I'm in my doorway in my own home, I'm not breaking any laws by "pulling" a gun on someone standing at my door. Or, at least, not any laws that are not covered by "it is a defense against prosecution..." sections of other laws.

I live in a rural community that has a very low crime rate (aside from Meth related manufacturing and distribution crimes which, here at least, tend to be non-violent).

Despite that, over the past 23 years I have had three friends and one acquaintance murdered in their own quiet, peaceful homes (well, one in her own front yard).

I think this has been discussed in a thread on paranoia, but I'm not sure.

It's not a good idea to go around all twitchy and ready to hurt someone, but it is a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and prepared to defend the lives you love.

Best,

Will

mrgoodwrench76

Now me, as the door is getting kicked in, I am running into the back room and cowering behind the couch or bed (with a gun and phone) calling 911 and shouting at the invader that I am armed and he better leave. I would only shoot if I had no other choice. I wasnt appointed God or a Judge and Jury of One, so its not my place to take life over my Sony, my own psychological inadequacies or some need to be the Avenger of Society.

Really? You'd hide in the corner armed and allow someone to rob your home? Maybe my mindset is too agressive, I'll admit, but there is no way I would allow someone to rob me of my posessions while I hid in a corner of my home with my firearm. Make no mistake, I have no desire to use my sidearm in self defense. That being said, I also could not allow someone to run off with all of the things I have worked very hard all my life to get while I cower in a corner. The line has to be drawn somewhere. In my mind, the line is my front door. Cross that, and all bets are off. And to the OP, I apreciate you sharing your experience. Until now, I never thought of the pizza man as a possible threat.

taylor351

I also could not allow someone to run off with all of the things I have worked very hard all my life to get while I cower in a corner.

I understand what you are getting at, but they are just things. I have insurance for things. I would have a hard time shooting someone over personal items. Threatening my wife or kids I will put a stop to your actions. With increasing force until threat is nuetralized.

Threatening my TV.....you can have it.

Keith

aarondhgraham

A friend of mine once asked me,,,

"Would you really shoot and kill a person for trying to steal your stereo?"

I replied something like,,,
"The stereo has nothing to do with it,,,
I'll shoot him for invading my home."

The only thing I know for certain about someone in my home,,,
Is that they have no legitimate reason for being there,,,
I will not make the assumption they only want loot.

If you don't want to or can't do it, then don't.

(speaking very softly now) It's that simple.

Aarond

MisterPX

Did not too many of you read the whole post? Pizza guy did not try to enter OP's apartment. PIzza guy wanted to stand in teh warm apartment complex foyer.

mrgoodwrench76

From what I got, Pizza guy tried to forceably enter dwelling against occupants wishes. That in itself would alarm me enough to take whatever action necessary to stop his advance. And no, I wouldn't want to take someones life to keep my TV or stereo, but to keep them out of my home, you bet.

DanThaMan1776

What did his tone and body language suggest? I invest heavily into these factors, because they are usually spot-on. Did he grab the door and say no keep it open in a pleading manner because he was clearly cold as hell, or was it aggressive and did he put a foot in?

Honestly I think you overreacted. I would have helped the poor guy out by letting him in and waiting there with him while he called his business. No need to be paranoid and disrespect your fellow man.

swappedeh2

I have to agree. My first impression from the details given is that the guy wanted to get into the lobby (note: NOT the OP's apartment) so that he didn't have to stand out in the cold trying to figure out where he got his information mixed up. His demeanor and body language while grabbing the door (which we have no real information about) would be the key puzzle piece to learning his motivation. Obviously the property managers wanted those buildings secured for a reason and he may have overstepped by trying to gain access but it's a bit disturbing to see how many people, without that information, immediately suggest brandishing a weapon. Would I pocket a weapon on my way downstairs? Sure. But drawing on the guy? Come on. Call me naive, but from the details given I find it a much more likely scenario that a poor minimum wage worker wanted to get out of the cold on Christmas Eve to figure out his mistake rather than an enterprising criminal went down to the local pizza shop, purchased a box, and hid a cut down 870 or something in it.