Weak index finger on trigger guard / finger forward technique, pros/cons

Para Bellum

I shoot and compete a lot (Glock 17/19/26).
I also carry 24/7 (mostly Glock 26).
I found out that I control especially the Glock 26 much better in fast and multiple follow-ups like an IPSC lon course with my weak hands index finger on the trigger guard.
Some tell me not to do that, but nobody can give me a reason for not doing that. What do you think?

Hook686

While I truely do not know the real reason, I once read about placing the index finger/weak hand around the trigger guard and firmly pulling back towards the grip, at the same time, pushing forward with the heel of the strong side hand. I tried this, with my Glock 19, and found it prevented 'limp wristing', reduced recoil muzzle flip, and allowed quicker return to target POA.

hksigwalther

I found out that I control especially the Glock 26 much better in fast and multiple follow-ups like an IPSC lon course with my weak hands index finger on the trigger guard.

Same for me since I started collecting/shooting since the late '80s. Allows holding pressure to be applied to the gun higher (closer to the bore axis) for me (which means better recoil control).

Don't know why some folks think it is wrong.

Steve in PA

Its poor technique and you won't find any of the top professional shooters using it.

You get inconsistant pressue on the trigger guard, push or pulling left or right. During rapid fire it is also very difficult to maintain contact.

I remember a USAMU fellow saying something about why this is bad when I took the instructor's course at Camp Perry many years ago...

But I can't remember the exact wording. I think it had something to do with extraneous variables in your technique. "Why add another trigger-finger to your hold? The first one is hard enough to deal with" or something to that effect.

If it has improved your scores I sure as hell can't rag on you for doing it, though.

Who's got their big yellow pistol instructor's manual handy? Mine is buried somewhere... I'll try to find it.

I didn't say he should stop doing it. I just gave him the conventional wisdom that he specifically asked for. I'm glad you could add so much to the conversation, Dave.

Jeff22

support hand index finger on the trigger guard?

Back in the late 1970s or so, many IPSC shooters wrapped the index finger of the support hand around the front of the trigger guard. The theory was that it would help control recoil.

However, experimentation revealed that, for most shooters, all that did was compromise their grip on the weapon. Unless they had big hands and long fingers, the index finger would bounce off the trigger guard in rapid fire, accomplishing nothing.

So the competitive shooters largely abandoned the technique, right about the time that various gun manufacturers began putting "tactical trigger guards" on their handguns.

Some people really like the technique and it works for them. Most shooters find that it compromises their grip, and they're better off NOT doing it.

Jkwas

It may be poor technique, but it works for me! I even use it with my revolvers. My hand just naturally goes there.

Magyar

Its poor technique and you won't find any of the top professional shooters using it.

Jeff22 is correct....Very popular at one time, and I experimented with it myself..For just casual plinking, not bad; but like others I couldn't sustain the grip for rapid fire. The weak finger all of sudden becomes stronger & exerts enough force to become a balancing act....
BTW, those big square trigger guards aren't just for shooting gloves. ;)

Dave85

oldbillthunderchief -
I'm looking at that post of mine, which took me about 2 seconds to accomplish, and I'm thinking, "man that comes off as pretty pissy." Sorry about the offense.

And BTW, skeeter1, the gunshop near me sells those Gripmasters. I recently injured my hand and was looking at them for rehab purposes.

pax

It can be a dangerous habit. When you move from shooting whatever you normally shoot into shooting a gun that is much smaller, that habit can place your finger dangerously near the muzzle while you are shooting. There's nothing funny about powder burns -- and the results could be a lot uglier than just a few burns.

pax

Lurper

Why do what works for you when you can do what somebody else heard should work for everyone?
Why shoot the way the best shooters in the world do when you can spend years learning what they already know?

It is an ineffetive method. Most people can't even keep the finger on the trigger guard during recoil. It also causes you to exert undue and somewhat erratic force on the gun. As mentioned, your grip is inconsistent. Shooters began trying it in the early 80's. It was part of the process of discovering that isometric tension, crush grip, Weaver, Chapman and other techniques are not as effective as a neutral grip and stance.

OBIWAN

CAn we all at least agree that there is not a single right way to shoot a pistol

Some of us anyway??;)

One problem I have seen is if you shoot a smaller gun like a Kahr having that finger there can interfere with your trigger finger if you press from the first knuckle

pax

CAn we all at least agree that there is not a single right way to shoot a pistol

Yep. I think most or all of us agree that there is more than one right way to shoot a pistol.

There is also more than one wrong way to shoot a pistol.

pax

Charles S

Why shoot the way the best shooters in the world do when you can spend years learning what they already know?

Ah but learning would require an open mind, the willingness to learn from the experiences of others and the ability to admit you are not an expert.

There is also more than one wrong way to shoot a pistol.

That is exactly correct. In the first class I took I believe that I had at least one thing correct. I brought the right ammo for my gun, other than that everything I was doing either could be improved upon or was just plain wrong. I really learned a lot.

I highly recomend a quality basic handgun shooting course for everyone who is not shooting at an expert level. These classes are often offered by some of the top shooters in the world and are generally reasonable. I know I learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn.

The original question was answered, it is inappropriate due to grip inconsistency and will lead to slower follow up shots. If it works for you then by all means continue, everyone is an individual. On a timer I am much faster without my weak handed index finger on the trigger guard.

cheygriz

There are no advantages or disadvantages to it. It's a matter of perosnal taste. Many people, especially those with long fingers find it very comfortable.

TexasCop

I used to shoot this way too, I got into competition shooting back in the late 70's early 80's and I used it for years and was a good shot.

Since the mid 90's there have been lots of proponents of the "wrap your off hand around the shooting hand" and I've done this as well. I find my groups tighten up a bit when I use the latter technique.

There are still times when shooting my 1911's or my Beretta that I find my finger in front of the trigger guard but it's not often anymore.