Wax In Hollow Point, Why?

jtmckinney

Problem was, the spin of the bullet often flung the material out of the bullet cavity long before reaching the target.

Bob, That actually makes a lot of sense. Assuming 1,000 FPS (357 magnum is probably going to exceed that) and 1 in 16 inch twist the bullet leaves the barrel at 45,000 RPM's. That is a lot of centrifugal force.

TXAZ

I'd question the safety of potentially creating a cyanide gas cloud in front of the barrel, should the wax quickly melt and cyanide vaporize.

Bake

If you don't know what a "Rag Head" is, ask me, before deleting my post first...:( Or was it "Hollywood BS" that got it deleted:cool::cool:

dayman

You could possibly get enough risen in a HP to kill a shark.
Killing a rubber shark is extra tricky though.

44 AMP

Staff
From what I have heard, during the making of the movie, keeping the rubber shark (Bruce) "alive" was the tough part.

:D

tipoc

Problem was, the spin of the bullet often flung the material out of the bullet cavity long before reaching the target.

That and the wax would melt before leaving the muzzle. What did not melt would be flung away as said.

It's a movie...the need for drama and tension trump facts.

I recall some movie where the hero sealed nitro glycerin in his bullets making explosive bullets. If anyone wants to try that at home let me know how it goes.

tipoc

Adrian

I recall some movie where the hero sealed nitro glycerin in his bullets making explosive bullets. If anyone wants to try that at home let me know how it goes.

I don't doubt it would make explosive bullets. Now, making them do more damage to the bad guy than to the hero when they detonate in the barrel, that's the hard part.

dahermit

I recall some movie where the hero sealed nitro glycerin in his bullets making explosive bullets.
If it was, "Day of the Jackal", it was not "nitro-glycerin", the explosive, it was just "glycerin", an oil-like sugar alcohol. In the movie he was supposedly making the hollow points more frangible. In short, the resultant bullets were liquid filled, not explosive filled.

T. O'Heir

How much poison it would take to impress or anybody or anything? Requires 1.5 mg/kg body weight. Not likely to get 1.5 mg in any HP. That's a milligram. 1.5 thousands of a gram or .00005 ounce. One gram = .0353 oz.

Stevie-Ray

Believe the mercury thing was done by Robert Ginty's character in The Exterminator. Shot some pedophile in the stuff with one. At the time, I didn't really know what for, other than mercury's poison properties, maybe thinking he would die no matter where he was shot?

tipoc

If it was, "Day of the Jackal", it was not "nitro-glycerin", the explosive, it was just "glycerin", an oil-like sugar alcohol. In the movie he was supposedly making the hollow points more frangible. In short, the resultant bullets were liquid filled, not explosive filled.

Naw it wasn't anything as distinguished as that flick. If I remember right it was a giant snake or octopus he was after. Or maybe a sharktopus or some lumbering monster. It was nitro, as each shot exploded into the foul flesh of whatever creature it was.

At any rate the idea was no goofier than sealing in glycerin, mercury or poison into a bullet with wax. Or trying to seal it in at all. Or maybe equally goofy. If it worked on any level it would have been sold commercially 60 years ago.

Now a shot gun shell?

What flick was that where the hero loaded the shotgun shells with quarters? One of the Mila Jovovich ones. Raccoon City, in a prison or something. She shoots monsters with about 4 bucks worth of quarters a pop. Steel washers wern't dramatic enough...had to be quarters.

tipoc