Was this request unusual?

SPEMack618

I'd go with the convicted felons thing as well.

In college, I lived in a town house where we had trash service. Turns out the property management company got a tax break for hiring felons to wheel our trash to the road.

surprisingly, they were friendly guys, and made it a point to knock on our door Monday morning if our can was empty. And they hauled off all our aluminum cans.

buck460XVR

The mere fact that they tell you to remove any firearms from the bedroom means they encounter it often and it is a concern of theirs. Whether it is a safety concern, concern of theft or accusations of theft is irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact is that they feel the need to tell gun owners this. Why would any responsible firearm owner leave a gun somewhere that could be handled, either intentionally or by accident, by someone they do not know, or know anything about their knowledge of firearms.

shortwave

Why would any responsible firearm owner leave a gun somewhere that could be handled, either intentionally or by accident, by someone they do not know, or know anything about their knowledge of firearms.

Unfortunately it happens more than we may think.

A friend of ours own several chalets/cabins they rent to people vacationing in the area. It is unbelievable the number of times the owners have went into a chalet that has been rented out for a week for cleaning, only to find a firearm stashed in a cupboard, a closet and yes...under the mattress that has been left by the renter.
Not only have they found firearms over the years but other valuables as well.

Here's the kicker... often times the renters are hesitant to put their cell phone# on the info. form when they initially rent a chalet. Instead they choose to only write down their home phone number, and some refuse to write a phone# at all, even when asked to do so.
The causes a real PITA for the chalet owners getting these forgotten firearms back to someone especially if the renters are from out of state. The chalet owners have had to ship the firearm back via a local FFL to an FFL in the state in which the renter lives or the renter has to drive back to get the firearm. :rolleyes:

buck460XVR

Unfortunately it happens more than we may think.

Again...this is why I'm sure the delivery company makes the request. Not every gun owner is responsible. Nor do folks always remember what they have under the mattress. Don't know how many times I have gone in to refinish a hardwood floor or do some remodeling in a bedroom and have to move the bed. More than once the homeowner has come home expectantly and rushes into the room only to see the bed has been moved and their stash of sex toys/drugs been found.

WyMark

Why would any responsible firearm owner leave a gun somewhere that could be handled, either intentionally or by accident, by someone they do not know, or know anything about their knowledge of firearms.

They wouldn't.

Unfortunately though not every firearm owner is a responsible firearm owner.

ClydeFrog

Guns & apartments/vacation homes....

People who leave firearms in rental homes or apartments in not uncommon.

While working as a apt complex guard, we had a tenant leave 03 rifles in the unit. :eek:
2 semi-auto hunting type rifles & a large SKS 7.62x39mm. None of the firearms were loaded & the mgmt couldn't find the former residents so they turned them into the local sheriff's office.

If I had a time-share or rental home, Id have detailed regulations in the lease/tenant agreement that firearms & ammunition will not be returned or recovered after 7 business days. Also the FFL shipment and/or fees would be charged to the renter/lease holder.
7 days is plenty of time to get a gun or ammunition back.

Clyde