Was this request unusual?

KyJim

We just bought a new bed from a national manufacturer which retails their own merchandise via local showrooms. The automated call setting our delivery window said to remove any guns from the bedroom. Now, I would do this anyway but I was curious if this is becoming common or not. I'm not sure if they are concerned for their employees' safety or my safety or maybe something else.

4thPoint

I imagine it's because there isn't a college-level class for people who want to go into the bed moving business; therefore they have to hire whoever happens to be between jobs at the moment the ad is placed. Such people may have records or be 'as yet uncaught miscreants'. Requesting 'no guns' may reduce the insurance liability the company is required to carry.

You may also wish to remove any easily pilferable items from the bedroom, jewlry, watches, game systems, DVD's, etc.

ClydeFrog

Guns....

That does seem like a strange request but I could see the business owner's point.
A AD/ND could happen when some home owner/client leaves a loaded gun lying around.

About 4mo ago in my metro area; a sworn police officer had a ND when a 3 year old boy(a son of a friend) got into his bedroom closet & fired a small .380acp pistol. :eek:

Mishaps can occur nearly anywhere with weapons but since many gun owners store them in bedrooms/halls to clear them first isn't a bad idea.

Bezoar

well when strangers come into your house,the only gun out of a big safe should be loaded and hidden on your scrawny bottom. i believe the philosophy was

"hidden guns make honest folks" back in the day,..

Mike38

I don’t find it overly unusual. Did they only mention firearms, or did they say anything of value? My line of work takes me into people’s homes often, and at times when they are not home. I have seen thousands of dollars worth of firearms out in the open (as well as other easily stolen and valuable items) in some of these homes. A dishonest person in my position could make some extra cash on the side by stealing these items. I would say the bed / furniture company is just trying to protect themselves and you.

Jo6pak

I think it's a good policy for the company to mention it. A buddy works a similar job and he said it's commpn practice where he works.

When I worked in HVAC we often entered peoples homes when they weren't there. You would be surprised what people leave lying around, even if they know strangers will be in their home. I've seen underwear, "adult literature" (and "toys"), guns, jewelry, large amounts of cash, even drug-paraphernalia.

I don't think it is likely that they will steal anything while they are there delivering and setting up the bed as that would be too obvious. But they could possibly make a note of the items and come back later.

KyJim

Did they only mention firearms, or did they say anything of value?
Just guns. As I said, I was moving them anyway (gun in a nightstand and a shotgun in the close).

I don't think it is likely that they will steal anything while they are there delivering and setting up the bed as that would be too obvious. But they could possibly make a note of the items and come back later.
I understand this. I'm really low key about my firearms ownership. Family and a couple friends know I own guns, though not all the details. I don't display pro-gun stickers or otherwise advertise.

musher

I'm guessing they've had a case or two where they dumped a shotgun or pistol on the floor while breaking down the old bed. Not too uncommon to stick one between the mattress and box spring.

44 AMP

Staff
I'm guessing they've had a case or two where they dumped a shotgun or pistol on the floor while breaking down the old bed. Not too uncommon to stick one between the mattress and box spring.

I'd be willing to bet that is the origin behind it. They might even have been sued for breaking or damaging one. I think the insurance liability is just an added plus for the business.

Most places require bonded employees for things that involve going into others homes. Not doing that puts the business at risk, too.

My personal rule is NO ONE enters my house when no one is there, unless they are breaking and entering, in which case, the police will have something to say to you. I don't care what you are working on or delivering, if I'm not there to watch, you aren't there either.

I know this isn't practical for everyone, but it is for me. Really, its for the best, my wife's 35lb mobile hair shedding system might lick your ankles off if you don't get her a cookie!

jmr40

Another likely scenario. I'd bet empoyees have been falsely accused of stealing valuables from peoples homes in the past. Reminding homeowners to remove guns and other valuables may help limit liability. I sure wouldn't want to be alone in a strangers home. You could be accused of anything. Same reason a male Dr. won't be alone in a room alone with a woman.

In October I drove my truck into our local Sam's Club to get tires rotated. Shortly after going inside it dawned on me that I had forgotten to take the G-19 out of the console. Checked it as soon as I got in the truck and it was gone. I met the manager and viewed security tape which cleared Sam's employees and satisfied me. I was polite and did not go in making wild accusations, but did want to find out one way or another.

After I got home I discovered 3 other neighbors had been hit during the night. The gun was recovered exactly 1 month later in a neighboring county.

ClydeFrog

Posts, firearms....

I had the same intent as post #8 in my remarks. A lot of gun owners store hidden guns in the bed or bedroom area. If I were a contractor or delivery person, I wouldn't want a big N frame .44magnum rolling out or a short barrel sideXside 12ga stick out. :eek:

In 2000-2002, I worked as a security officer in a low end apartment complex.
We constantly had tenants cry & whine about "missing items" or "not knowing" staff/repair personnel would be working in their unit, even though they requested the repairs/service. :confused:
People would leave out tools, weapons, $$$, etc. Some of the contractors & repair guys would request that I went with them.
My view was to eject(evict) the problem tenants but the owners let them stay. :mad:
Many would wind up being evicted or they'd split before the lease was up.

Clyde

This is the first time that I have heard of something like that, and we actually had a new mattress delivered not all that long ago. I think it's a pretty good idea in all honesty. As others have mentioned previously, you wouldn't want the delivery person happening upon a firearm, it could create an uncomfortable situation. Sounds like the company is just trying to avoid a bad situation.

Skans

It's a smart request. Lots of folks keep guns under their mattresses, pillows or mounted somewhere on their bedframe. It sound to me like the company has encountered problems in the past with accusations of lost, missing or stolen guns.

wayneinFL

I can see why they might mention it. It could be a issue due to safety, damage, or theft.

Although when I worked in a garage it wasn't uncommon for someone to have a pistol in the glovebox, and it wasn't a big deal.

Kreyzhorse

I've never heard of that but, like mentioned above, I'd guess some of the local guys stumbled across a gun of two in their time. I'm sure finding them jammed between the mattress and box spring happens a lot.

OuTcAsT

I'm gonna guess that some of the most common places to find defensive handguns are; Between a box springs and mattress, under a pillow, or in a safe or box either directly under, or attached to a bed frame and, on a nightstand beside the bed. You don't want inexperienced people handling your hardware do you ? ;)

Additionally, openly displayed firearms would seem to offer a lot of temptation to folks that are bent toward thievery.

ClydeFrog

FWIW....

A chain hotel I did security work for in the 2000s hired ex-cons & parolees for housekeepers. :eek:
They had a high turn-over & most didn't work out very well.

They were worked for low wages though & got a full time job.

Keep that in mind when you travel. ;)

Clyde