was P O Ackley ahead of his time ?

t45

I'll put my tight neck 243ack up against a factory 243 any day shooting 95gr thru 115gr VLD's. Now after saying that, I've spent over the last 10yrs countless hours at the reloading and shooting bench. Would I choose a 243ack for my next build? Probably not. There are plenty of other cartridges out there that are more efficient and have better accuracy potential. As far as P.O. Ackley being ahead of his time? I think he was beneficial to the wildcatting movement but I think others made greater advances.

F. Guffey

I thought Hatcher was a wildcatter, he moved the shoulder of the chamber forward close to .080" in an effort to determine if excessive clearance caused case head separation. The case was not named but I have always called his creation the Hatcher 30/06 + .080".

His case shoulders did not move when fired and his cases did not experience case head separation.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

I have Ackley improved reamers, one is the 270, another is the 25/06 and then there is the 30/06 and 257 Roberts. For the 30/06 chamber I have the 308 Norma Mag. Reamer.

F. Guffey