Warning... Cracked slide Springfield Armory Champion..

Kreyzhorse

Never heard of this being an issue with Springfield but I am curious to their response. My hunch is a quick and easy fix however.

g.willikers

It seems that most, if not all, problems with the 1911 come from modifications to Mr. Browning's design.
Maybe folks should leave well enough alone.
Not everyone is as smart as Mr. Browning.
Just a thought.

smee78

I have a Springer and did not know there was a bad batch of slides out there. I'm glad the OP shared this with us and hope to hear good follow up from Springfield once contact is made.

TunnelRat

It seems that most, if not all, problems with the 1911 come from modifications to Mr. Browning's design.

Just a thought.

Wait. At what point in this thread did we conclude that a cracked slide was the result of Springfield modifying JMB's design?

TunnelRat said:
Wait. At what point in this thread did we conclude that a cracked slide was the result of Springfield modifying JMB's design?
I don't think we concluded that the problem was due to the change, but the Champion has a 4-inch barrel and slide. The Browning design, as I'm sure you know, was for a 5-inch pistol.

TunnelRat

I don't think we concluded that the problem was due to the change, but the Champion has a 4-inch barrel and slide. The Browning design, as I'm sure you know, was for a 5-inch pistol.

I seriously doubt all Commander length slides and barrels are subject to cracking. Nor is the 45 ACP such a high pressure cartridge that I would expect cracking from normal use. Given it's a used gun who knows what the previous owner did.

Webleymkv

Originally posted by g.willikers
Just a thought.

I suppose leaving well enough alone would be fine and dandy if we were all content with our guns shooting minute-of-moro at 25 paces with standard pressure 230 gr FMJ-RN out of 5" barrels, because that's all Browning designed the gun to do. However, if we want more accuracy, reliability with JHP ammo, a more concealable gun, or anything else that Browning didn't envision 104 years ago then we might have to change things a bit.

std7mag

Ok, I talked with a rep from Springfield Armory. They are sending a pre paid Fed Ex packing slip for me to send it back. They will fix under warrenty, and return Fed Ex.
Rep was really pleasant to deal with!!

While, yes I am a hand loader, I try to keep the pressures down. My usual load it a Hornady 200gr. LSWC over 5.6gr. of Unique..

Even my "defense" loads are 185gr. Sierra Power Jackets, loaded to about 900 FPS. Nowhere near the pressure limits of the gun. No +P loads.
I like to hit what I'm shooting at, not just burn powder, and make lots of noise.;)

Anyways, My hat is off to Springfield Armory!!
And the "Warning" wouldn't have been said, if I hadn't done an internet search and found several other cases of the same issue.