Warming up to 44 Spl - we need more choices

ligonierbill

I bought my first last year, for the gun, not the caliber. It's a Charter Arms Bulldog, which seems to dominate the GB listings. Neat little pistol, easy to carry, just a little lively. Now, I shoot all the major revolver rounds, and I'm a big fan of the .45 Colt. But the 44 just seems to fit, and of course, Elmer liked it. The thing is, while you can shoot it from a big framed magnum, that seems like a waste of powder and shot to me. I just ordered a Blackhawk Flattop, the mid-size frame, in 44. It looks interesting and has some good press, but there aren't many other choices. If I wanted an N frame, I'd get a 44 Mag. I see a few L frames out there - does S&W still sell that in 44?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd think we'd see more medium frame .44 Specials out there.

rclark

You would think wouldn't you :) . But the market is fickle. While I would argue that the .44Special will do most all that needs doing, can be shot in a smaller frame, and easier to handle, most would argue that the .44Mag can shoot both the .44 Special Special and the .44Mag, or just download the .44Mag to .44Special levels if you reload ... so why bother with a dedicated .44 Special medium frame revolver? Anyway, I think that is why you don't see many different revolvers out there in .44Special.

I had a 'wahoo' moment when Ruger introduced the .44Special on the medium frame flattop (finally) through Lipseys. Have a couple of them plus a New Vaquero Sheriff. Really enjoy shooting this cartridge along side the .45 Colt. I normally just shoot the Skeeter load in mine, but have shot the Keith load. Load down for my Bulldog. It is a reloader's cartridge for sure. Love it.

Last edited:

Paul105

Freedom Arms Model 97 -- the smaller frame model. Five shot with transfer bar. The 5 1/2" gun pictured weighs 37 oz (3/4 of a lb lighter than the M83 .475 Linebaugh top gun in pic) and is narrower than the mid size Ruger Flattop.

Crummy picture -- tried to enhance with photobucket (to no avail). Gun on right is .44 Spcl.

548370da-fd80-4a53-a8a6-03e317c4999b_zps21b4e4fd.jpg

Can be loaded from mild to wild (will handle .44 mag pressures if needed or desired). Heres a picture of 25 yd groups with 325gr Beartooth WLNGC at 1,200 fps and 240gr SWCBB (commercial cast) at about 850 fps.
26ca9a7f-5692-43f5-994f-f68ae77792bd_zpskb0o3krx.jpg

One of my favorites.

Paul

DPris

Member Emeritus
There's a new mid-frame 5-shot .44 Special version of an existing DA revolver in development.
Might be 2-3 months before announced, possibly sooner.
Denis

Paul105

Smith & Wesson M69 (5 Shot L Frame .44 Mag) weighs in at 37 oz with 4 1/4" bbl. Some think it is better as a dedicated .44 special. I personally find it to be the optimum .44 mag carry gun. I've have three, two have been shot a bunch, and the third was function checked and put in the safe as a backup.
Also one of my favorites.
Clock wise from upper left M69 (L Frame .44 mag), M66-8 (6 shot K Frame current version of S&W M66 in .357 Mag), M617 .22 LR all with S&W Hogue 500 grips.

m317%20-%20m66%20-%20m69_zpsz47oxwwa.jpg

ThomasT

Don't forget the Taurus Tracker 44 mag. With its light weight and frame size it makes a better 44 special than a full blown 44 mag. I had one and stupidly sold it. I shot a few mag rounds through it but mostly shot reduced loads at around 900fps. Those were pleasant enough to be shot all day. The only thing I didn't like about that gun was the ported barrel. I wish they made a version without the porting. I would buy one right now.

Sniper 51

DPris,
What manufacturer should we looking for to possibly produce this new 5 shot? I for one am very interested.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Major name, but that's all I can say till it's announced.
I think people will like it.
Denis

Sniper 51

I hope you're right. I have been looking for a reasonable carry option for a .44 Special for a Long time. Never have been able to warm up to the Charter. Almost bit the bullet on a Model 69 S&W the other day but would still like something more dedicated to the special and a good carry option.

smee78

I like to carry my S&W 296, makes a nice carry 44spl. I had a S&W 696 but was not really happy with it so I sent it down the road. I really like to shoot my S&W 629MG with 44spl's, that is a fun shooter.

rodfac

Well, if you like Smiths and don't want to pay the premium that a M24 in either 4" or 6" bbl. lengths, would command, you can get the newish M69. Smith's 5-shot 44 Magnum...and have it both ways....44 special for everyday work, and the ability to go with the magnum when hunting demands its great velocity and smash.

My M69 is a joy to shoot with .44 specials (I do like Skelton's old 240 gr SWC load with Unique at 950 fps)...it'll keep 'em all on a 50 cent piece at 25 yds from a rest. But with Magnums, even the current crop of down loaded factory offerings, its recoil approaches the 'heroic' level. Even with the new soft grips, it's a real beating touching off a full house magnum.

For the afficionado of the .44 special, nothing can compare, however with Ruger's recent offerings in the flat Top series. They're great guns, accurate, but heavy when compared with the M69, being a full 6 oz's. stouter. Too, they're SA only if that makes a difference. I've got three of them, both the 4-5/8" bbl'd ones [SS and blued] as well as the 5-1/2" bbl'd blued model. The shorter ones are a bit easier to tote in a strong side holster of the old Tom Threepersons type, and are every bit as accurate as the longer one.

For day to day use here on the farm, either is a good choice, but the lighter weight of the Smith is deeply appreciated after 10 straight hours of haying astride the diesel. A good gun belt and holster helps immeasurably, BTW. At this point in time, were it left to me to make the choice, I'd go with the Ruger....but I"m 70 now and tradition and the bad old days are a fond memory...I'll live 'em while I can. Here's a target shot with my then new 4-5/8" and a pair of home made grips.

HTH's Rod

Ozzieman

Anyone that has read any of my posts will probably know that I am a 44 special NUT having a herd of N frames. There is another little nice special. I’m not a Taurus fan but when I see a 44 special I buy it.
I picked this one up with known issues which a gun smith fixed and he did a nice trigger job. It’s heavier than the Charter arms bulldog but also smaller. With the grips on this gun it does let you know when you touch it off. I have it as a range toy and would never carry it. But they are cheap when you find them.

Last edited:

CajunBass

I'm a 44 Special fan also. I've had a few of them over the years, including a pair of Smith & Wesson Model 24-3", with 4" and 6" barrels...with the box and papers for each.

Alas, I had to sell them when I lost my job a few years ago.

One of my favorites that I sold off to buy another something was a Taurus 431. That was a nice gun. About the size of a K-frame Smith, but a five shot 44 Special with a 3" barrel, fixed sights. Man, I missed that one as soon as I sold it. If I see another...

Today I've got one, a Smith & Wesson Model 21-4, in nickel. Fixed sights, four inch barrel, shrouded ejector rod, round butt. It's got a BK grip adapter not shown in the pictures, and the box and papers.

I'm not crazy about nickel finishes, or round butt revolvers, but I'll make exceptions in this case.

Last edited: