Want Your Thoughts On Linear comp: BRT or STD.

9x19

I have linear comps from DPMS (5.56), STD (5.56 & 7.62), and B&J Hardware (7.62 opened up for 9mm).

The STD look better, but I think the DPMS and B&J work (slightly) better.

B&J - 9mm
Lone%20Wolf%20G9%20SBR%20vs1_zpsrqaqjtcm.jpg

DPMS - 5.56
SampW%2015S%20pro%20g2_zpsyujokbok.jpg

STD - 7.62x35
PSA-ST%20AR15%20bv%20h_zpsrrqookfw.jpg

Last edited:

marine6680

Is there a reason for going with a linear over a standard comp, or flash hider?

To push the blast down range?

If you don't mind the standard A2 flash hider... The BCM comp is decently effective and has no more blast than the A2.

rickyrick

The linear comp makes the shooting experience less noisy for short barreled weapons. It sends the sound and concussion forward of the shooter and bystanders.

It also sends the recoil impulse straight back. Not up down or sideways. It has more felt recoil but easier to shoot. I have one on my AR pistol and it works great. I don't have either of the type that the OP was asking About tho.

marine6680

I know what they do... just didn't know what he is thinking of putting it on.

Wondering what his intentions are for the comp... an SBR, a standard rifle?

pilpens

Yes - to push blast and noise downrange and just to be a little different.
I was looking at a Tridelta brake at first based on mrgunsandgear video but it is no longer available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTmCxXYD7h4
So, looking on the internet, I came across the small linear brakes which seems to accomplish more of what I want.

I think I will not like the regular comps because of the noise and side blast.
It is to replace an A2 on a 5.56x45 16" carbine.

marine6680

Like I said, the BCM comp is decently effective, with no more blast than an A2, which isn't much at all.

Its not as effective as some other comps/breaks, but you get the noise when you use them. I would say it has a good balance of all characteristics.

But it looks a lot like the A2, so you don't really get "different".

mavracer

Like I said, the BCM comp is decently effective, with no more blast than an A2, which isn't much at all.

On a 16" barrel a linear is a lot easier on the shooters ears than a A2 is.
I love them and have linears on every thing I own with threads.

rickyrick

I agree, I think I'm going linear on everything too. The 10.5 with a linear is perceived more quiet to me than any other .223 I have.

I have one 16 that is the loudest of them all it has a jp supercomp on it.

Dragline45

The BCM comp is decently effective and has no more blast than the A2.

The BCM comp has a good deal more blast than the A2. It also throws out large sparks out the sides due to the large ports. Not a fan at all of that comp.

marine6680

The BCM comp has a good deal more blast than the A2. It also throws out large sparks out the sides due to the large ports. Not a fan at all of that comp.

Shooting my BCM, and PSA rifles back to back... I can not tell the difference between them in regards to noise at my ear. Nor have I experienced added blast or much extra flash... Not enough to bother me anyway. (I am speaking from the shooter's perspective, not as a bystander or someone in the adjacent shooting lane... But indoors, where echo and noise rebound is amplified, and added side blast would be much more noticeable, I did not notice much difference)

I have shot it indoors and out, sound and blast seemed the same between them. Recoil and muzzle rise were reduced a noticeable amount.

Its made me a fan, and I think I may get one for my 308...

I was thinking about a linear comp for my 308, but the ones that are actually effective at reducing recoil and muzzle rise, (at least to a small degree) in addition to sending blast down range, are either very expensive, or look ridiculous.

The Troy Claymore is an example, it reduces recoil and muzzle rise a small amount, but I hate the spiky flutes on the end of the Claymore, it looks like its trying too hard to be "tacticool'...

The Hera Linear Comp Reduces recoil and muzzle rise better than the Troy, and looks decent... but costs $150.

Black river tactical does make a very attractive linear comp though, and its priced reasonably, but it only sends blast down range, you get no other benefits.

Last edited:

Dragline45

Shooting my BCM, and PSA rifles back to back... I can not tell the difference between them in regards to noise at my ear. Nor have I experienced added blast or much extra flash... Not enough to bother me anyway.

I have shot it indoors and out, sound and blast seemed the same between them.

That's not my experience whatsoever, the blast and flash of the BCM comp compared to an A2 was noticeably greater, which is to be expected with a comp. Shooting my buddies BCM middy with a BCM comp at night I noticed it throws out large sparks fairly far out the ports, it looks impressive, but not something I want and one of the reasons I passed on the BCM comp. I ended up with the Battlecomp over the BCM comp when I ordered my upper from them, largely in part because they offered it from their drop down menu while ordering and pinned and welded it for me before it was shipped, so it saved me a trip to a smith to do the work. With that said the BCM comp is a fairly good comp, but nothing to write home about.

This review comparing the BCM comp to an A2 also found the same result, noticeable increased blast and flash, again which is to be expected.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1047

The sparks I was talking about are very prevalent in this video, and if you look at the still shot from the review I posted prior you can see the sparks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFV9svpKo9s

marine6680

It definitely will have more flash than an A2... I haven't shot it in the dark or low light, so I have no experience to share about flash.

I hear lots of good about the battlecomp, it is billed as a hybrid/balanced type comp like the BCM. From videos, it seems to have as much or a little more flash than the BCM. It spits out less particulates, but that means that on occasion, those particulates can build up and cause a larger than normal flash.

Seen several low light tests between them online... and depending on the video it seems to swing between the BCM or Battlecomp.

The only negative I have seen mentioned, is that the battlecomp can over compensate and push the muzzle down below the shooting level. Some like it, some don't.

And I am sure the BCM has increased blast, but I personally haven't noticed it, or the difference is slight enough to not bother me.

But, I haven't tried standing next to it, and that is a different story when standing to the side of a comp. From a shooters comfort standpoint, I have no complaints with the BCM.

tirod

There's a group test of brakes that rated the battlecomp middle of the road. There are others that do a better job. And it's a brake, not a linear.

Any of the muzzle devices with slots or holes out the side are brakes - the A2 is even directional with the underside closed off to reduce dusting off the ground. For the money it's the best value - simple as that - $8 and done.

But if you have an SBR/pistol then blast is much higher - up to 25% more pressure at the muzzle than a 16". That's the reason for all the huge devices sold now. The prices seem to be by the ounce, too.

Linears don't have side ports - therefore they direct all the blast forward, which has been shown to reduce the amount of noise at the shooter's ear. Since some can't or won't resort to a silencer on their gun - why have a 10.5" barrel just to screw on another 6" seems somewhat self defeating - linears have become more popular of late as the current trend in short barrels continues. Not much else is new for AR's out there other than the hole of the month handguard club..

Levang, BRT, STD and others all do a good job pushing the blast and noise forward. Considering the recoil of the AR is so minimal you can shoot it with the stock resting on your jaw, any other reduction is incremental. Mostly 3Gun type competitive reasons to keep the muzzle on target to reduce double tap reaction times. It's more a race gun perspective, not necessarily anything that would be helpful in combat. After all, we are talking 18MOA targets that won't stand still and shoot back.

I use an BRT on my 6.8 deer rifle and with no hearing protection the first few shots aren't ringing my ears badly. That's as far as I went - and for hunting a fair test of what it offers for those who won't wear amplified muffs in the field. Which I now do and kick myself for waiting as long as I have.

On the AR pistol I'll get the 5.56 fluted BRT, partly for looks, but mostly because short barrels are no fun with brakes turning the blast sideways. People who work in teams stacked or side by side don't use brakes! Seriously consider what you are asking your family to tolerate when you are at the range, or worse, need to do when defending them, at home or out. Brakes are NOT friendly to bystanders and damaging their unprotected hearing is simply unnecessary. If anything the advantage goes to using a linear - which would be pointed at the target where the blast can add some incremental value.

It's no better than running open exhaust on the family car - all you do is create noise where it formerly had an effective silencer, and disturb not only the neighbors but general public. Yes, I know all about the "Loud pipes saves lives." I'll just point out that those who support that are also trying to get as much attention from the public as possible. Plenty of full dress bikes run the roads with no issues.

If silencers were as available as the nearest hardware store, there would likely be little demand for linears. Under the circumstances, tho, they are a good choice to do as much as legally possible until we change the laws to reflect common sense.

tirod

If it has holes or ports out the side - it's not a linear.

Battlecomps have their fans, but in one test of a sampling of brakes it lacked any distinction, placing middle of the road. There are better.

Comps/brakes are devices to reduce recoil and keep the muzzle on target - but the point is for fast followup shots under a timer. Recoil with the AR is minimal already, you can shoot it while resting the stock on your chin. And in combat getting off quick double taps is accomplished with full auto trigger control, which can cycle faster than most good shooters can. The auto sear trips before the learned reaction time of the shooter - it's house odds and will always be faster. Take a fatigued soldier who just road marched ten miles with a pack and that's the whole point.

That's why comps and brakes are competition items. Soldiers who work in teams side by side Do Not Use Brakes! Their teammate is standing there, and despite all the protective gear you don't need to have your brains exposed to concussive waves just to be incrementally more accurate anyway. The targets are 18MOA wide, moving, and trying not to get shot, all while shooting back.

On your SBR or AR pistol, consider that it will be no different. You, your buddy, or even your family does not need to be exposed to the extra blast and noise, especially in a defensive situation. Comps/brakes have no tactical application - they are range options, and with the emphasis on light bolts and reducing the action causing the muzzle to lower when chambering, brakes aren't all that needed, either.

If silencers were available at the local hardware store, linears would likely be a rarely offered item. With SBR's and pistols, tho, they are the better choice and have the performance qualities needed. I use a BRT on my 6.8 hunting AR and the first few shots will not ring my ears - great for hunting if no ear pro is used. Now I do, amplified muffs, but the linear still has a place. On the AR pistol, which is much more likely to be used in built up areas (even a range,) then having the 25% higher muzzle blast go forward means having less of it bother others around me - maybe even family.

Leave comps/brakes on the range guns, for timed events. That they have gotten as popular as they have goes to marketing and how some choose to shoot - to get as much attention as possible. There are far more of them sold than actual competition users - same as the latest Navy SEAL knife, right?

Linears are the better choice and we'd be better representatives of the MSR user to those who have easily thrown us under the bus before - those who supported the AWB as long as their guns weren't included. :)

Dragline45

There's a group test of brakes that rated the battlecomp middle of the road.

You are referring to the vuurwapen blog study, and myself as well as others on the AR15 and M4Carbine forums found lots of faults with his study, and I am not talking about just the Battlecomp. He went into that study with a bias towards the Battlecomp though, and even went out of his way to write a hate article about the company and trying to shame them. Sorry, but anyone who doesn't go into a study with an impartial stance wont get any credibility from me. All in all, I don't need a bunch of gizmos strapped to me and the gun to know how well a comp works, all those bars and graphs mean nothing to me.

rickyrick

The muzzle brake .223 debate comes up regularly here.

Yes many people use them for cosmetic purposes to dress up their guns. That's fine, well within their rights.

I used to think brakes on .223 rifles was a silly affair. This was until hunting prone on the ground at night. The blast from a bare muzzle would kick up dirt and sand in the dry west Texas area.

So I pondered a solution. A brake with upward ports. Tada!!! Problem solved, also had reduced flash and could pretty much see the hits on the critter as the rifle stayed on target. Bonus side effects. Negative, louder perceived noise at the firing position.

No rifle I own has ever been seen in public or fired in public around others.
When hunting, I'm alone.

Now, I have one firearm with a linear comp, but, I am unsure about the dust firing prone; I haven't tried it.
I may switch my brakes out for linear