Want to get a 44 mag

seeker_two

Ruger made the large-frame Vaquero in .44Mag for awhile, so used models should be available. Probably more of them in .45Colt....which can be loaded rather warm in a big Vaq.

Redhawk5.5+P+

357 Python post#18

I can highly recommend a Ruger Vaquero. I have a 5 1/2" Vaquero in stainless steel. It is my fun gun and is literally a blast to shoot. A used one should do very nicely.

This guy is a very smart guy, or at least he's steering you in the right direction. All you have to do is find one, good luck, time is on your side. Good thing don't happen overnight. In fact, I think I just be in the market for one now, so you have competition now.

TBS, Vaquero means cowboy.

Rifleman1776

All good advice so far.
I'll ditto the advice to also get started reloading. I could not have afforded to shoot my Redhawk .44 mag. for years if I did not reload. And, that was before ammo prices started rocketing upwards.
Plus, with reloading you can customize loads for different uses.

gak

+1 Ruger Vaquero - as in the original large frame (only way a fixed sight Ruger .44 Mag has come) - made for about ten years and available in all Colt-like barrel lengths if you look around.
Blue/faux case hardened frame combo or polished stainless. They are essentially fixed sight Super Blackhawks.
Pros:
- Ruger durability
- Colt sixgun looks in a slightly larger, heavier frme befitting the .44 Mag
- Full "six up" capacity--safe with transfer bar.
Cons:
- no longer made
- in stock form, the cylinder indexing over-travels the chamber-to-the-loading port making re-loading (or ejecting cases) a bit more tedious vs the current Flattop and New Vaquero design, Colts, USFAs and Colt-patterned imports. Free spin kits re available which rectify the chamber over-travel however. As suggested, these kits do not "stop" at all on their own.

As far as new: fixed sight .44 Mag, look at Uberti Callahan, avilable with a unique (to the Colt pattern) 6" barrel--the length I've most often seen them in--and fluteless cylinder like the Super Blackhwk. IIRC, a 4-3/4" barrel is also available. Also unique 1860 Army grip, which is slightly longer than the 1851 Navy used on most Colt SAA-patterned guns. (The Callahan is also available in adjustable flattop style target sights). I have seen these at Bass Pro Shops and elsewhere. All blue (no cch)--like the recent years' New Vaquero (and all years' Blackhawk) line.
Pros:
- Colt Sixgun feel and looks (other than unique 6" barrel) with the "requisite" hammer mounted firing pin and Colt four-click hammer.
- Army grip for larger hands with "pinky under" issue
- Ubertis have come a long way' wouldn't worry about durability/problems. Still, if intending on regularly shooting "super heavy" loads, I'd lean toward the Ruger.
- nice one piece walnut grips
- availble new
Cons:
- despite built in "safety," it's not a transfer bar, IIRC, and I would only load 5 - leaving empty chamber under the resting hammer
- see "super heavy loads" above.

Both are slick pieces.

Last edited: