Want to get a 44 mag

DealHunter

Just out of curiosity do you reload? I agree that a Ruger Blackhawk is a good bet, but I ask because even "range" .44 mag ammo (factory) is not cheap...

drail

Ruger Blackhawk. Then start saving for a reloading set up. You will never really see what that gun is capable of until you reload for it.

RobertInIowa

Ruger Blackhawk is a great gun to start with. There's plenty of them available and the price is pretty reasonable. Very strong gun and quite accurate.

L_Killkenny

"Don't have a lot of money" and ".44M Cowboy guns" don't go together. You're .44M SA options are kinda limited and none are cheap. Blackhawks don't come in .44M it takes a Super Blackhawk for that and then you're looking at a $150 to $200 price increase right there. We haven't even gotten to ammo prices yet. IMO, stick with .357's or even .45's or .44sps. Then you up your options to include a whole bunch of import clones.

Last edited:

458winshooter

44 mag western gun

Look for a Virginian on GB or a Ruger Vacaro or Blackhawk.The Virginian would be cheaper but they are not made any longer and parts are harder to come by.It looks much like a Colt SAA.

Newton24b

genuine six shooter, eaa bounty hunter. its supposed to be blackhawk sized but comes in genuine 44 mag. descendent of the hawes western marshall according to internet. its an interesting gun

Hal

Look for a Virginian on GB or a Ruger Vacaro or Blackhawk.The Virginian would be cheaper but they are not made any longer and parts are harder to come by.It looks much like a Colt SAA.
Virginains and Virginian Dragoons have been "discovered"...
They aren't inexpensive anymore.
They start around $700 and go up from there.
MSRP on a brand new Super Blackhawk is $719.

I was going to recommend a Virgian Dragoon, but, decided to check and see what they go for now.
Now might be a good time to think about selling mine..
I'll probably wait and see what happens w/the AWB though...

Rebel9793

Superblack hawk

Keep your eyes open in the pawnshops an such for a used superblack hawk. Being you dont have a lot of money on hand to spend, Talk to your local gun store owner and see if you can make payments on one that may be slightly out of your price range. once you do pick a .44 up, you may want to look into reloading because .44 magnum is not cheap what so ever. you can load "cowboy" loads cheap.

I've learned the grip on the super blackhawk is too small for me. My pinkie is under the bottom, so I replaced the grip with a Hogue brand. Since then, I've also learned that the Bisley version has a larger grip than the standard or super blackhawk. In my case, at first I thought I should have bought the Bisley, but then it looked like the barrel length I wanted was not available in that model. So take a look at the Ruger website and research all the different models.

ClydeFrog

SASS? single action?...

Are you talking about a SASS or cowboy type single action six-shooter?
Uberti markets a few firearms that look like replica western guns.

Ruger & Beretta USA sell a few western guns too.
Check GunsAmerica.com or maybe Dixie GunWorks.
Clyde

357 Python

I can highly recommend a Ruger Vaquero. I have a 5 1/2" Vaquero in stainless steel. It is my fun gun and is literally a blast to shoot. A used one should do very nicely.

Last edited:

Sergeant

If your going to shoot a 44 mag on the cheap, your going to have to reload. I load some at 44 special specs for plinking with lead bullets and jacketed for hot (make my day) plinking. You just cannot shoot 44 mag factory ammo on the cheap.

Lost Sheep

The O.P. was reloading back in July of 2009 (I clicked on his ID and peeked at his previous posts. Took about a minute.) He has started a couple of threads about Cowboy Action Shooting and posted some questions about bullet mold sizes.

So, while he did not provide this information in the beginning, I suspect he is interested in CASS with a gun that will double as a "big banger"

Unfortunately, the Super Blackhawk (and most all Blackhawks) will not fit in the CASS scene, as they have adjustable sights. Purist groups will ostrasize anyone using such a gun, but some who are not as strict will allow it.

I think it might be tough to find a 44 Mag with fixed sights that will fit the CASS mold.

If you want a 45 Colt capable of the really heavy 45 Colt loads, the same limitations apply.

However, the Ruger New Vaquero in 45 Colt or 44 Special/44 Russian (both cartridges that were used in the proper historical time frame to qualify for CASS) might be just the ticket.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

Last edited: