Want to buy a pre-1898 gun

rightside

Do you know how difficult it is to convince a pawn shop or even gun stores that they don't have to do the paperwork on a pre 1898 weapon? Most of them insist on doing paperwork anyway, "just in case".

Clark

I did paperwork in this 1896 built rifle 3 weeks ago.... don't care... no serial number:)

Wait a minute, there is a serial number, the pawn shop did not find it.

Attachments

• Remington No.4 ~1896 22 2-24-2016.jpg
    Remington No.4 ~1896 22 2-24-2016.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

robertsig

Whoah. Just read about the Krag. Is it the same 6.5x55 Swede ammo? If so, that would go well with my existing Swedes.

kraigwy

I like US Military Weapons. I made it from the Krag to the M4 (M1A instead of the M14, SP1 instead of the M16A1, Semi A2 and 16in semi version of the M4 since I don't want to go the Class 3 Route).

But the Garand, Carbine M1903A3 & A4, M1917, and Krag are all USGI.

I know, Pre 1898. Since the M4 is the latest, I had to start going the other way, I got the 1884 Version of the 73 Springfield Trapdoor 45-70, and my wife is now in the process of buying me the 1866 50-70 trap door.

Plus I have a 1886 Remington Rolling block in 44-90 Sharps bottleneck.

I don't think this late in the game (I'm getting old) I'll much further back, but then again who knows, I said the same thing when I got the Krag.

I also have the original USGI bayonets for all but the 50-70 Springfield and the Remington Rolling block.

Lots of fine pre-98 military rifles out there, but I like US versions. You can still find Trapdoors in good shape if you do a bit of searching. The same with the '86 Remingtons.

I said I'm quitting but I probably wouldn't turn down a chance of the .58 cal. Springfield MLs or a Spencer's if I could find then in fair to good shape.

I'm to old to consider future collector values so I shoot all my rifles.

To the OP, I have to warn you, you're not gonna just get one. Old guns are as addicting as meth or any other drug out there.

I'm luckier then most, my kids are all grown and doing fine and my wife shares my addiction. But old guns, like other addictions have ruined a lot of marriages.

darkgael

Trapdoor

The first rifle that I thought of as "pre 1898, can use smokeless powder, etc." was the 1873 Trapdoor Springfield 45-70. I picked up a carbine a few years ago....a fine shooter.
Pete