Want to buy a pre-1898 gun

robertsig

I'm looking to buy my first (only?) pre-1899 antique gun. I have no particular purpose for it, nor preference for pistol vs rifle. What I want it something modern by the standards of the day, so I can use current ammunition off the shelf in whatever caliber it is. I don't want black powder. Something relatively easy to use or take care of would be preferable.

My first thought is an older Mosin or Finnish M39, but welcome other rifle (and pistol!) choices. What are some of the more common and readily available antique guns?

mapsjanhere

Chile Mauser 1895 is a good one, the whole series is pre-1898 so there's no questions on legality. Lacks the 3rd lug of the 1898 but otherwise close, and the 7x57 is still a serious hunting cartridge. Gew 88 is also a series completely in the antique range. Other "if early build" guns that can be antiques are 1891 Argentine and 1894 Swedish Mausers, both of which you can still get ammo for.

98 220 swift

I really like my argentine 1891 mauser in 7.65x53. Some where made before 1898. Mine was made in 1892. I like it so much I took it deer hunting this past season and took a button buck with one shot at about 75 yards. Beware a lot where sporterized in the 50-60s and are being passed off as carbines. Very well made rifles. The gew 1888 rifles can have a .318 bore size that makes them dangerous with modern 8x57 ammo. some have been changed to .321 or .323. Even with a .323 bore they cant take full bore 8x57 loads. Us factory made ammo would be fine as it is downloaded. I reload for my 1888 gew. I use the min loads in the manual. Mine has the .321 bore.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just remember that the antique cutoff date in the law is THROUGH 31 December 1898, and that the date of the gun is the date of MANUFACTURE, not the Model date. So a Krag Model 1898 or a Mauser Model 1895 could be an antique or a "modern" gun depending on when that individual gun was made.

Jim

mapsjanhere

Jim, all of the original 1895 Chile Mauser with the Loewe manufacturer marking are antiques. There are later DWM ones but I thought those are marked as 1898.

kilimanjaro

If you have the bucks, look at the Mauser C96 Broomhandle pistol, and definitely the Krag-Jorgensen rifle. Those are about the best of the 1898 gang.

Also look for the Lee-Metford rifle, and the early Mauser rifles.

If you reload, the choices improve along with your ammo availability. You can also lighten up the loads a bit and prevent breakage of parts.

Don't buy anything not in original condition if you want resale value.

aarondhgraham

Model 1892 8mm Lebel revolver,,,

Mine is barrel marked 1903,,,
It was the first military revolver designed for smokeless powder.

lebel.jpg

The good thing is ammunition is available for it,,,
Fiocchi makes a run of this stuff every few years or so.

I was able to score 550 rounds the last run.

gadscustomcartridges.com will load ammo for you,,,
He does them off of 32-20 cartridges.

I put 12 rounds through mine just a few months back,,,
Mine is strong, accurate, and a blast to shoot,,,
And it has that great steampunk look I like.

There's one on gunbroker right now.

Aarond

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, mapsjanhere,

You are correct on the Chilean Mauser. I used that as an example without checking the details. Maybe I can make it a Swedish Model 1896, or a Winchester 1873, or a Colt 1878 or any of the other zillions of guns made in that era by folks who didn't know that in 70 years or so there would be a law that made the manufacture date important.

Jim

gyvel

What is your purpose in wanting a pre-1899 weapon that fires modern ammunition? Are you trying to avoid a 4473? In some jurisdictions, they are still classified locally as firearms or deadly weapons.

mapsjanhere

4473 is the federal form you have to fill to transfer a gun at a dealer. Some people try to avoid them if they're prohibited from owning a gun by buying an antique so I'm not sure what the rules are (as felons are often even prohibited from owning even large knives).

robertsig

Ahh, no that's not me. I have quite a collection already. I'd buy a full-auto gun for the collection too if it wasn't so cost prohibitive.

Pathfinder45

If I was going to start collecting guns that old, I would be thinking primarily of Old West artifacts like Winchester, Marlin, Colt, Sharps, Remington, etc.