Want Scope Recommendation For My Rifle

beeck

I just bought a Leupold VXIII from the custom shop and like it very much. But I also have two Nikons one a Tactical and the other a Monarch, in mho they are just as good if not better than my Leupold and a little more inexpensive.

surg_res

I agree with the above posts. The false economy of buying cheap scopes is not realized by the person who shoots once a year. For them, a cheapy might get them by. Furthermore, most scopes seem the same in full sun, however, when darkness falls that extra 5-10% of light transmission makes all of the difference in the world. If the human eye can detect a 10,000x change in brightness, every percent counts.

I've bought cheap scopes just to have "something" on a rifle while I save up for a real scope, only to regret even doing that, for they don't even last long enough. Case in point was a redfield that I tossed on an M1A--and as I sighted in the gun and struggled to turn the rough turrets I heard click click click snap... so much for that scope and a precious box of ammo had been wasted. Buying a rifle without thinking of the scope is kind of like buying a car and not thinking about gas and insurance. Shooting centerfire rifles is not a cheap sport, and nothing but dissatisfaction will result if someone tries to make it one.

As for the original question... I just bought my 1st Valdada (a 6x42 with the MP8 reticle) and could not be more satisfied. They are too heavy for a light hunting rifle, but for a bench rifle or tactical setup--the german glass, etched reticle, and overall solid construction are hard to beat at that price.