Want Scope Recommendation For My Rifle

1tfl

I picked up a Remington 700VS rifle in 223 caliber with the thought of learning to shoot small groups at ranges out to 300 yards (max distance available around here).

I need some recommendation for a scope for this rifle.
I think I would like something with about 12X power max.
I was thinking about the 10X Super Sniper based on some reading I've on various web sites. The other option I have is a Leopold VX-2 3-9x40 which I can get from a fellow here for about $200. Final choice is a Bushnell 4-12X40 scope on sale at BasPro Shop for $190.

If possible I would like to keep the price at $300 or below.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

ELMOUSMC

Scope?

Take a look at MUELLER scopes,nice optics at not an outragous price good luck and good shooting ELMOUSMC

azredhawk44

I'm very pleased with my Leupold FX-2 4x33 on my M1A.

I was shooting at ~300 yards on Saturday, keeping 10 shot 6" groups. That's only 2MOA and not impressive to some folks, but it was prone and the wind was blowing 90 degrees from my right. The target was also only marginally larger than the intersection of my crosshairs, and hard to keep steady with the minimal magnification.

But the glass was clear, and the reticle didn't shift at all in the face of the recoil of my M1A, the vibration of its various parts, or the power of the .308 cartridge. Any inconsistency here is either my shooting technique, ammo inconsistency, wind gust variation or my rifle. The scope is rock-solid and built well.

Were I to rig up a bolt gun for repeatedly shooting 300 yards, I'd say 4-12x40 would make a good setup. But I'd trade down to 3-9x40 in order to get Leupold glass over Bushnell.

I also REALLY like having a low power magnification for shooting closer, like 25 yards or fast target acquisition situations like varminting. A variable scope gives you the ability to do this, whereas a fixed power at 10x makes it hard to shoot closer than 100 yards.

I'd say go with the Leupold VX-II.

4orty5ive

has anyone tried the Burris laserscope? it looks kind of bulky but I thought htat having a buit in rangefinder was pretty nice. I can't find how many yards it is accurate to (the rangefinder).

CPTMurdoc30

Take a look at Bushnell's Elite 3200 and 4200 line. I have a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm on my 223. I am thinking of selling it off to buy a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm which I have one on my 308 target rifle. things get small at 300 yards. and 24x is about the max I would go to keep the mriage down when shooting while it is hot outside.

I grew up shooting squirrels at long distance (200 to 400 yards) if you want to make small holes in paper then power is your friend.

sholling

I haven't shot a tasco in years but I have been next to someone at the range that had his red dot fail after about 50rds through his 22. No disrespect intended and no flame my friend but if you can't see the difference in brightness and clarity between a $100 tasco and a $300 Leupold then I highly suggest glasses.

CraigC

I can not see the difference in the glass and if I could I don’t think it is worth the extra 500.00 dollars.

You need to do some more shooting and get your eyes checked. Cheap scopes fail, period. If you don't believe me, I'll send you a whole box of busted scopes. Cheap is too expensive and money is never wasted on good glass.

As of late I find Cameraland to be the best dealer in optics.

Wow, I just looked up one that was on the back of the Cabela's shooting catalog sitting on my desk. A hundred bucks less than both Cabela's and Midway! Thanks for the tip! :D

Full-choke

Rule #1 with optics is don't go cheap, so your $300 cap might be better suited to be a little flexible.

In the world of optics I turn mainly to two companys, Bushnell and Leupold. Leupold might make a VX-I down in your range but I don't know for sure. Bushnell definitely does. On Bushnell I would reccomend the Legend series. I have a 5-15x40 mil-dot w/ AO that I picked up for $190 new last year. Very good scope and I would match against something like a Leu or Zeiss.

Just stay away from Tasco, BSA and some of the other cheapies because you will end up buying another scope in another couple years. As long as you stay with a well known company (known for their quality) like Nikon, Burris, Bushnell or Leupold you should be good. I would look somewhere in the 4-12 or 5-15 range with a 40mm Objective...that will do everything you will ever require of it.

F-C

ginshun

I bought a Bushnell 3200 in the staight 10 power with the mil-dot reticle and put it on my .22-250 last summer. I couldn't be happier with it. For a $200 scope, I don't think you could possibly do better. Optics are clear and light transmision is good.

The gun is a Howa 1500 and I rutinely shoot MOA 3 shot groups out to 200 yards with Sierra bullets / H380 powder in my reloads. I am planning on stretching out further this summer and seeing what I can do, but 10X should be fine out to 4 or 5 hundred, assuming I do my part.

44 AMP

Staff
I'm not going to recommend a brand, but I will some power

Or rather the lack of it. Very high power scopes have their place (on the range, mostly) but they have their drawbacks as well. For myself, I fond that mirage (heat shimmer) much worse in high power scopes. Remember, they magnify EVERYTHING. Heat shimmer, your heartbeat, just everything. I have scopes (variables) that range up to 18x and 24x, and they are useful for spotting and close up looks at small targets (varmints, etc.) but I turn them down to about 9x for actual shooting.

I can hold steadier on target with a lower power setting, and that seems to make a difference for me when it comes to shooting groups, or varmints. Also, in the field, at lower settings your field of view is large enough that it makes finding your target and spotting your misses (and hits) easier.

So, I would recommend a good variable over a fixed power, unless all your shooting will be on the range from a bench. A good 3-9x or a 4-12x on your .223 will serve you well, and be useful in the field as well. I wouldn't go higher than a 6-18x (or 6-24x) unless it is a dedicated target rifle. Power on the high end is nice when you want it, but power on the low end is important when you need it.

phil mcwilliam

Go the Leupold

I've just had my 20 year old Sako 22-250 rebarrelled to a heavy barrel & at the same time replaced the old 2.5 -10 x 45 Bushnell with a 3-9x 40 LeupoldVX-II. My other rifle, a Sako 308 Finnwolf, has had a Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II since I bought it 15 years ago. In my opinion ,the Leupold has a slight edge over the Bushnell that is only obvious very early morning or at dusk. I find I can see a little more clearly in this half-light with the Leupold. During daylight hours I can't notice much difference between the clarity of the two scopes. The Bushnell & the Leupold (with Sako mounts) have both held a good reliable "zero" over years of use.

jhansman

Mueller Eraticator. Look no further. I have one on my .223 bolt gun and love it. And, if you can, Mizzou Mule Guns up in Alaska is the place to get it from.