Walther PPS

simonm2211

I have had numerous problems with my 40 and it went back to S&W twice. It probably runs OK now although I was so disappointed in both it and the customer service, I haven't put too many rounds through it since the 2nd return. Good luck.

Uncle Malice

I have had numerous problems with my 40 and it went back to S&W twice. It probably runs OK now although I was so disappointed in both it and the customer service, I haven't put too many rounds through it since the 2nd return. Good luck.

You are in a vast minority of people that have had bad luck with either the PPS or S&W customer service. To say that you have had bad luck with both is almost unbelievable. I'm not saying that you are lying, just that it's a very rare occurrence.

When I bought my PPS, I bought it used from a local guy. Got a good price on it with 3 magazines...then I found out why. Numerous failures to feed and eject... trigger would fail to reset sometimes. I thought I was screwed. Called up S&W customer service to ask if they had any suggestions and explained that I had already cleaned and lubed it several times and tried different ammo. They immediately sent me a prepaid label. Sent it back and got a call about a week later that the ejector was broken. He explained that it was an integrated part of the serialized frame chassis on the PPS, so it could not be replaced. In that split second, I thought I was out of luck and that the money I had spent on the gun was wasted.. then the rep continued to tell me that they were going to go ahead and send out a brand new gun. He explained that they would have to do the paperwork and pull it out of inventory, and the gun should be at my door within a week or so. Indeed, it did show up about 3 days later. Brand new PPS in the box with 1 magazine. Grateful as I was for the replacement, I did send them the 3 magazines I received with the gun. I gave the customer service dept. a call and asked about possibly having my old mags sent back since they are kind of expensive. Without hesitation, the rep said that he would go ahead and send me out 3 brand new mags to replace the ones that I sent in.

I have nothing but the highest praise for S&W customer support, and that seems to mirror everything else that I've read about them in the past. Quite a shame that you seem to have had a different experience.

MLeake

I have to agree, with regard to S&W CS. My experience with them has been positive - they found the parts to build me a replacement for a gun that wasn't in current production, after mine..um.. blew up. (Lesson: know how to identify a squib, and do not pull the trigger again after a squib... detonation was not due to the gun.)

A friend had timing problems with a 28-2, bought used, and S&W did a warranty repair on the gun, even though he told them it was used.

While I don't doubt that even the best CS departments can have an occasional hiccup, I am very comfortable gambling on S&W.

Ropin4gold

I am a big fan of the PPS 9. Like others have said, its what glock should have made. Single stack, good trigger.......

dec41971

Shot the 9mm PPS I have a lot. Never had any issue. My hand hated the .40 though and try as I did, I had to sell it to my local range shop. I have a PPQ .40 and its a dream to shoot, so not so much the round, but the round in the PPS proved a handful. That plus followup shots were way off due to the nasty muzzle rise and snap. I'd flitch just pulling the trigger knowing what was coming. :D

I called S&W for the night sights, they didn't have them, but as soon as they had them they emailed me and followed up with a call. That along with some magazines for it. I have no complaints at all. Now if someone can make a guide rod laser for it, it would be perfect.

Carry_24/7

I have a similar sized .40, the Taurus 740 Slim. I bought it because it was cheap, and I turned it into a range beater/truck gun.

It's horrifically inaccurate, but has never malfunctioned. It kicks like a mule; it's crazy to shoot. I imagine that while the PPS is tremendously more accurate, the recoil is probably close. I have the PPS 9, and it's great.....I recommend the 9, skip .40 in a lightweight pistol.