Walther PPS

MLeake

Thinking about picking up one of these for a warm weather, IWB under t-shirt gun. Leaning toward 9mm, given size, weight, and capacity. Any compelling reasons for the .40, instead?

Also, how is availability of magazines, and night sights?

Thanks, PPS owners.

M

Uncle Malice

I would, and did, go 9mm. The 40 is pretty hefty out of that little bugger. I hear night sights are becoming more available. I still have factory sight in mine though.

You won't be disappointed, that's for sure.

zombieslayer

Totally subjective. I have two of them, one in each caliber and I prefer the .40. But they both shoot and carry FANTASTICALLY.
Other than how good the guns are all I see emerging is another caliber war. It seems you prefer 9mm so go with that. Mags are $50. I only have three for each gun, not much need for a huge stack of them, its a ccw gun. Cant help you an the night sights, I never looked into them for a PPS.

not sure as to the availability of sights and mags. i liked the sights, and mine came with two mags.

IMO - a must have accessory is this kydex holster from FIST. order# 1AK.

2011-10-26_22-01-49_681.jpg

Seaman

Have one in 9mm. Superb CCW.

If you like Glocks you will like the PPS even more: thinner, better trigger, super accurate, overall a more comfortable concealed carry. 6-round short mag allows good ankle carry, 8-round long mag works for IWB, OWB or shoulder hoslter.

No effective external safety, save the pivoting center trigger block...makes me nervous. Demands a good holster and attentive trigger guard discipline, especially if re-holstering.

Excellent BUG, would consider one in 40 cal a primary.

Check your 6.

output

I think the PPS would be an excellent choice. It is small and thin which requires training and practice but it is very accurate and reliable in my experience.

I know XS and Meprolight (ML18802) make night sights but I had a hard time finding them in-stock.

Magazines cost $40-$55.00

Best of luck!

TxFlyFish

This is one of those guns that there just isnt really anything wrong with it. If I have to nitpick

Mag extension gap
Light but not lightweight for its size

But really its that good if not the best in the market. Make sure you check date code and buy at least a "BB" gun...significant changes were made to late BA

Fargazer

Availability of magazines is OK; there are enough places both online and "bricks & mortar" that you can usually find what you need. Pricey, as people have mentioned earlier in the thread.

Night sight availability is limited; Meprolight has a set.

For an IWB holster, take a look at Milt Sparks VM2. I have one for my P99, and will be ordering one for the PPS tomorrow (they only take orders the first of the month, and stop when they have a month's worth of work). Wait time is around 6 months, but well worth it.

MLeake

I appreciate the inputs.

As far as holsters go, I have a few friends who make holsters. I know that at least one (Cerisse Wilson) makes a nice IWB for the PPS, and I've already ordered one from her at http://soterialeather.com. I have one of her OWB/bodyshield models for my M&P45, and she does superb work.

Regards,

M

Hoosier_Daddy

Haven't had my PPS 9 mm too long but I really really like it for CC.
When I looked at the PPS at my local gun shop, the guy I worked with had never fired a PPS but mentioned that one of his coworkers felt the recoil of the PPS .40 was too substantial for him.
Only thing about the PPS that some might feel is different is the magizine release. I don't have any problem with it but I've read here at The Firing Line that others are not comfortable with this type of mag release.

For now I am using a Desantis Super Fly pocket holster. Doesn't quite hide completely in my back pants pocket but in winter with coats and jackets and sweaters, it is out out sight and not uncomfortable back there. Without a untucked shirt or sweater or jacket the grip is partially exposed. In a few weeks I should receive my FIST kydex IWB holster and I am hoping that will work well for warmer weather CC.

I had a surprise with my PPS with Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point ammo. There was a hesitation to chamber the first round. I pulled the slide back and released, and the slide moved forward a bit and then stopped. About the time I thought, what the heck, it finished chambering the round. This happened more than once. I just polished the feed ramp this afternoon and that feed pause didn't happen so hopefully it is gone.
When I was buying this latest pistol, I had my choices narrowed down to three, S&W M&P9c, Glock G26 and the PPS 9. I ended up buying the M&P9c and PPS 9. I am just not a glock fanboy, it possibly could be the better handgun for all I know.

I grab the PPS for CC 99 % of the time. I like the grip and sights of the M&P9c better but the PPS is thinner and seems to concile better for my build.

Hope this helps your decision. I have no gripes or buyers remorse about the PPS 9 at all.

Last edited:

TxFlyFish

Mine did choke in range ammo couple times in first two mags .... smooth sailing after that. Again check the date code!

dec41971

I bought both 9mm and .40; Like Uncle Malice and others have stated the .40 proved to be a handful. It sure wasn't pleasant to shoot so sold it and kept the 9mm. The 9mm is very accurate and recoil is not bad. A lot depends on your hand size. I have the PPQ in .40 which I preferred to the 9mm. The PPS however being so thin tends to move around a bit in my hand, so the .40 was just nasty kept wanting to take may thumb off. I have even an LCP which doesn't bother me, so its really the size of my hand, my style of holding it and the fact its so thin that contributes to its rather nasty character. Some folks love it;

What I will tell you is .40 will not out-shoot the 9mm regardless of who is handling it, but 9mm may do just that to the .40 for many folks. Basically you can't go wrong with the 9mm. You give up very little, if you go 9mm. I love mine so much am never going to get rid of it.

Magazines are available in 8-7-6 round configuration. It doesn't come with night sights, but they are available. I put a set of meprolights Tru-Dot night sights on mine, and the green glows very bright in complete darkness and also excellent in low light.

Last edited:

balance

The rear sights on the PPS aren't click adjustable like on a P99 or PPQ. They are pressed into the rear dovetail and are held on by a roll pin. It can be moved left or right but it requires a sight tool or a hammer and punch. All PPS sights, factory or aftermarket, are this way.

9x19

I had a 9mm, didn't wow me, but nothing wrong in terms of quality.

I got some extra mags for mine from these folks (quick service):

http://gregcotellc.com/

I still have a little IWB holster, but it isn't marked for maker.

Need to list it for sale... :D

PPSH2.jpg

PPSH3.jpg

PPSH1.jpg

group17

If I was buying a new one I would get the 9mm. Took a chance on a slightly used 40 with 3 mags because the price was hard to beat. I don't find the 40 a handful at all and the gun has been flawless.

dsc03216h.jpg