Walther PPQ M2, rate it as a range gun.

WVsig

I think there are better pure range guns but your definition of "range gun" is might be different than mine.

It would help us to know what you want in a range gun.

Worc

I don't have a M2 but a M1. I shoot it and my Sig P226 equally well at any cadence or distance. Out of my 9mm's the PPQ is usually the gun that most others that I let shoot my guns, shoot the best. These are people that range from first timers to very experienced shooters. They have were good trigger characteristics which is helpful for accuracy.

If not a PPQ which would be a very good choice. I would look at a Sig 226. Another very accurate model of mine is the Steyr L9-A. It has an equally good trigger as the PPQ. It does have trapezoidal which take a little getting used to. They can always be changed out for dots. The Beretta 92 is also a model that tends to be an accurate shooter.

TfflHndn

I have the PPQ M2 in .40S&W, and I like it a lot. Very accurate for a polymer gun designed to be a service pistol and not a match pistol. Trigger takes getting used to, with the very short reset.

Morgo

The PPQ is decent gun for a polymer "duty" type handgun.
As for a range gun, its a loooooong way down my list of preferred picks.

If no 1911's then probably my Sig X5.

pilpens

For a polymer range gun, out of the box, PPQ would be very good.
Steel non-1911: CZ-75 (check out the custom website), EAA witness match

sigarms228

I own a Walther PPQ, several SIGs, and a few HKs.

IMO the Walther PPQ is a top candidate for best all around pistol. It is a great CCW pistol and can also do very well at the range. I take mine to the range often to shoot and it always brings a smile to my face when shooting it. The Walther PPQ/P99 are extremely accurate especially for their size. My Son's P99 AS came with a factory test target at 25 meters with five shots in a 1 5/8 group. The combination of mechanical accuracy, great trigger, and fantastic grip make it a great range gun for me.

Depending on what you are looking for in a range pistol it may be just right for you. However if you are going to be looking for the smallest groups possible at long distances taking maybe up to several seconds between shots then you may want to look at something bigger/longer, and heavier. Longer sight radius and more weight to steady aim may help.

My personal favorite range guns for me are my Walther PPQ, SIG P226, SIG P220, SIG 1911, HK VP9, HK45, and my HK P30LS.

If I wanted something a bit better for long range best groups for myself I would consider SIG X-FIVE or SIG P210. Both in the $2000 range and both capable of less than 2 inch groups at 50 yards. But I need to get new glasses first.

My PPQ:

Nail Shooter

I have a PPQ M2 (also numerous Glocks and M&P's). It has the best trigger of any plastic framed gun that I've ever handled. Accuracy is pretty darn good with this gun too.

Tackleberry1

PPQ M2 new EDC

Been looking to up gun my EDC for a while now for the the 6 + 1 Kahr PM 9 I've been carry since 2008. After much research I went with this PPQ M2 and have been very happy with this guns performance. Great trigger, easy to carry, easy to employ, and very accurate.

P71pilot

I own a Walther PPQ m2 in .40, I say it is not a great range gun simply due to the recoil. The gun is so light (I believe 26 or 27oz unloaded with empty mag), in the .40 caliber especially with 180gr bullets it tends to have that jumpy snappiness that people complain about with polymer .40s. I thoroughly enjoy shooting it at the target range and plinking with if, but I feel that a 1911 of any kind or maybe a cz75 or metal framed SIG would make a better "range" gun.

Now I have never shot the 9mm version so cannot say how it feels when shooting or comment on the recoil of it. The PPQ is a great gun, rrrreally sweet duty/combat/defense type gun. But again so is a 1911. The Walther does indeed have the finest striker fired trigger out there. Which helps most to shoot well. And the grip ergonomics aid in point ability and feel in the hand. Especially when you add rubber Talon grips. I also installed Dawson precision sights on my PPQ and love them. Highly recommended

sigarms228

Now I have never shot the 9mm version so cannot say how it feels when shooting or comment on the recoil of it.

I find my PPQ 9MM to be a sweet shooter. My son has a P99 AS in .40 and I agree that with such a light pistol I would not want to fire it extensively at the range. The only pistols I enjoy shooting in .40 are metal frame and in particular the SIG P229.

triplebike

I had the Longslide version, brought it as a range gun. It's was extremely accurate with no problems whatsoever. GREAT TRIGGER . The workmanship of the Walther PPQ is 1st class throughout. Thing will probably last forever.

If you're looking for a striker fired range toy , I don't think you'll find anything better

I enjoyed shooting it , I think it's an excellent handgun, but I'm just not a big striker fan for range shooting. Ended up trading it.

AVG

The Walther PPQ M2 is a very accurate gun. This one is in 40 s&w. It makes for a great range gun.

ironox

if not a Walther, then what?

A Glock or Sig are what I own. Otherwise, I've read and heard nothing but great reviews about the PPQ.