Walther P1/P38 sight issue: please explain the L and R rear sights.

jmstr

Hello everyone.
I need to know about the L and R rear sights that Walther made to adjust
the windage on their P38/P1. Basically, can you tell me which side of
centered the notch is for either the L or the R rear sight?

My P1 that I just picked up shoots about 4" to the right of center, and I
usually shoot 1" to the left of center. My gunsmith found the same problem
and he IS a good shot [unlike me].

I just don't know if the L means the notch is to the left of center or if it is for guns that are shooting left of straight.

Thanks!

DPris

Member Emeritus
On adjustable sights usually L means turn the screw in that direction to move the bullet to the left. R means turn the screw in that direction to move the bullet impact to the right.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.
Denis

Milspec

Hi! My P-38 and P1 both have "L" marked rear sights with the notches visibly offset to the right.

So if you're shooting to the right you need a sight marked "R" to fix it...which will have the notch offset to the left...if that makes sense.

I posted this on WaltherForums too... :)

jmstr

Hi! My P-38 and P1 both have "L" marked rear sights with the notches visibly offset to the right.

So if you're shooting to the right you need a sight marked "R" to fix it...which will have the notch offset to the left...if that makes sense

Thank you!

That is what I was hoping for: clarity without room for me to second/third guess what is going on.

Thanks again!

DPris

Member Emeritus
My apologies, I did misunderstand.
My P38 has fixed sights with no L or R, assumed you had some sort of adjustable sight.
Denis

jmstr

No biggie,

I was just trying to figure it out before I placed an order. Now I have them on the way. I'll start with the R rear sight and then fine-tune with minor drifting of the front sight.

THEN I have to begin filing the front sight to raise the POI.

leeharrysouth

P-1/38 sights

I have a P-1 that shoots low and to the left. I orderd the latest white dot sights for it and things did not change. The front sight that came in the set is marked no.3. I understand that if I want to shoot higher I need to go to a larger nomber such as four or five. I also have read that rear sights are marked L or R to compensate for windage. Mine shoots left so I understand that I must go with a sight marked L to bring impact point further to the right. I see that front and rear sights marked L or R or available from numrich and also numberd front sights. Now If I get a rear sight marked L, does it matter if the front sight has a white dot or not. I seems that dotted sights are differant in hight than non dotted sights of the same number.

Thanks for any help

cheezhed

The front site is also adjustable in a dove tail on the pistol I own. If you want the gun to shoot to the left then drift the sight to the right or vice versa. You may want to put a little penetrating oil on the sight and letting it soak before
moving the sight.

leeharrysouth

P1/38 sights

Thanks. But, is it correct that I should get a rear sight marked with an 'L' to compensate for a pistol that shoots to the left. In other words the notch in a 'L' marked sight will be offset to the right.

rab

P-1

Got a good on a P-1 a little while ago. The only sight adjustment is moving the front. Love the little pistol. Long story. I shoot it rarely. It's just there in the safe.

By the way, I did pick up a ATI Titan. Love the little gun. Anybody got any experience with them?DSCI6059.jpg I did have to adj the extractor a little lighter, then it ran perfectly. It's not a comp, but something to keep close.

Jbar4Ranch

DPris said:
My apologies, I did misunderstand.
My P38 has fixed sights with no L or R, assumed you had some sort of adjustable sight.
Denis
If the pistol shot slightly right, it got an R marked sight with the notch offset slightly to the left, if it shot more or less to the center, it got an unmarked sight with the sight notch centered, if it shot slightly left, it got an L marked sight with the notch offset slightly to the right.
As you can gather, the rear sight is not adjustable, and if you tap it with a brass punch & hammer, it will break in two - yeah, I did this with my first one. :eek: