walmart 12ga federal target shells on sale

A400 Fan

Do these lower price Federal "promo" loads pattern sufficiently well enough to justify the quality step down from Federal Gold Medal target loads?

Depends on how well they pattern in YOUR gun and how much you pay for Gold medals

RMcL

Quote:
Do these lower price Federal "promo" loads pattern sufficiently well enough to justify the quality step down from Federal Gold Medal target loads?

Depends on how well they pattern in YOUR gun and how much you pay for Gold medals
----------------------------

It seems that question brings us back once again, to the lonely and forsaken pattern board. That unused arbiter of shotshell value!

pathdoc

The promo hulls are not exactly to be sneezed at for reloading either. I know some advise otherwise, but I've had some of my hulls go through the Load-All II at least three times without issues. I bought quite a bit of this stuff before I got into shotshell reloading (I had the foresight to save all the hulls) and while I was waiting for the loader to arrive (it was all that was available locally), but I've since come into more used hulls than I know what to do with.

I reckon it's been over a year and at least a couple of hundred rounds since I've actually fired a factory-fresh 12 gauge shotshell. If things keep up the way they are, it's quite possible that I may never do so again.

A400 Fan

If you get really into reloading you'll soon see the need to get a better machine. Lees work ok for a few boxes, but some of us shoot several hundred in a weekend, so speed makes more sense and the ability to reload a hull 10-15 times, like a Gun Club, becomes essential.

pathdoc

At that volume of use, I agree. For what I am doing, the Lee is fine and the time spent is calming and therapeutic.

Gus90

yup same thing here, i grabbed a couple 100 rnd packs at wally-world yesterday for $20 each, glad to see the price finally coming back down

The Foothill Ranch, CA, WalMart had an end cap full of 12 and 20 gauge. I bought 4. Will get more every time I go by. The guy stocking the zone said they had been that price for the last 3 months, while the Winchesters were $28. I doubt that he was correct.

Mobuck

We bought 3 of the 4 cartons on the shelf last week. I got a new(to me) 20 ga SxS last winter and was mostly out of clay busting ammo. Probably will buy more next time I'm there(if they have any).