Wal-Mart to start selling handguns in 2012

MADISON

Wal*Mart to start selling handguns in 2012

Wal*Mart to start selling handguns in 2012?
I hope so!!!
Let's get back to what is was before Bill Clinton and Michael Moore messed things up.

AH.74 said:
I didn't say they always have the best pricing, and there's no reason to pay more for something just because it's at one store versus another.
Well, yes there is.

Wal-Mart has put thousands (if not tens or hundreds of thousands) of small, mom-and-pop type stores out of business. They have also hurt some big companies. Did you know that a few years ago RubberMaid almost folded? The reason was that Wal-Mart is big enough that they don't ask a supplier what their best price is, they TELL suppliers how much they want to pay. They kept LOWERING the amount they were willing to pay Rubbermaid, while costs of production were increasing. It took RubberMaid too long to say "no more."

So here we are, a bunch of folks who regularly commiserate over the fact that there are fewer and fewer local gun shops to be found -- but you think it's a good idea to buy guns from Wal-Mart, who also sell everything else in the world, rather than to support a local merchant who doesn't also sell bicycles, big-screen televisions, and baby clothing to ensure his cash flow.

What happens when Wal-Mart causes all the local gun shops to close? Then Wal-Mart starts doing the Rubbermaid thing to the gun makers. All production will have to move to Chine or Malaysia or Pakistan, quality will go down the tubes, and Wal-Mart will be able to charge whatever they want because there won't be any competition.

Doesn't sound like much of a plan to me.

AH.74

Aguila, I would love nothing more than to be able to buy everything I can at my local store. But it simply isn't possible- they are not close to competitive.

I do know some about WM's tactics. My company used to supply materials to a vendor which competes with rubbermaid, actually. I also know someone who works for another supplier who has told me some interesting stories about going into corporate to do "sales."

AH.74 said:
Aguila, I would love nothing more than to be able to buy everything I can at my local store. But it simply isn't possible- they are not close to competitive.
They can't be competitive with Wal-Mart -- they don't have the massive buying power. That doesn't mean you can't buy from a local store, it means you WON'T buy from a local store.

I won't claim I never enter a Wal-Mart ... I do. I've bought rechargeable batteries there, because the ones I found elsewhere didn't last very long. I've bought ammunition there. Just yesterday I bought a memory card for my digital camera there -- don't know any other place around here that sells them, and certainly not a "local" store that's not part of some chain or other. But I try not to make major purchases there if I have a local alternative. Wal-Marts in my state stopped selling firearms about four or five years ago. When they still did, they had the Henry H001 .22 lever action carbine for $149. My friendly local gun shop showed me in Jerry's catalog that $149 was lower than what my guy would pay his distributor. I bought from the local guy anyway, because if we don't support the local guys ... there won't BE any local guys.

When I bought a new Colt 1911 a couple of years ago, Bud's Gun Shop had a much lower price than my local guy could sell it for. I paid the local guy his price anyway. It's worth it to me to support local merchants when possible.

microman

I really hope they do start selling handguns and that
it's not just a rumor. My local Walmart, has a great
selection of rifles and shotguns. I know a lot of them
don't carry long guns anymore so, I feel fortunate to
live by one that still sells them.

HALLAUSTIN

I also support local stores, it is usually only a few dollars difference in long guns. My henry was 254 out the door as compaired to 248 at wally world, but the local store treats me very nicely. They help me pick the right product so i dont have to buy it later. But walmart sells me their fare share of wares aswell...

Cheapshooter

I guess anything is possible if the marketing geniuses see it as a viable profit item, and the politically (in)correct decision makers stay out of the way.
Wally World used to sell birds, and small animals in the pet department until PETA complained!
Bass Pro Shops Missouri stores, even the headquarters store in Springfield, had a very limited line of handguns until Missouri got CCW. They mostly only sold 22 target and plinking pistols, longer barreled hunting type revolvers, and target semi-autos. After the CCW law passed their selection improved greatly. Maybe the bean counting marketers at Wally World are waking up!

Sparks1957

Doesn't sound like much of a plan to me.

I totally agree with Aguila about Walmart. I avoid going there myself, for the simple reason that I don't support their business practices. They have led the charge against employee benefits, and bully suppliers to sell products at prices that don't meet their expenses.

Even if they sold guns, I wouldn't patronize them. Better to give the business locally, or at the least allow a local FFL to collect a transfer fee.

AH.74

They can't be competitive with Wal-Mart -- they don't have the massive buying power. That doesn't mean you can't buy from a local store, it means you WON'T buy from a local store.

For your information, I have never bought a gun from WM. I'm talking in general. You're very quick to judge without knowing all the details.

I do buy guns from other shops that are not local, because my local shops cannot compete with the pricing.

Webleymkv

It wouldn't really surprise me if they did as I've been told that Wal-Marts in Alaska sell handguns and have been doing so for quite some time. As far as Wally World going out of the gun business, I think that experiment didn't work out for them as well as they hoped it would. There are two Wal-Marts in my town. The older one never quit selling guns to begin with and the newer one didn't sell guns when it first opened, but has since begun doing so.

briandg

walmart used to sell handguns. there was a murder that involved a gun purchased at a wm and there were some questions about it, but iirc, the laws were properly followed, and it was actually a rifle.

After that incident, wm chose to drop handguns company wide. Some stores with more fully developed sporting goods departments still ordered guns for customers, and would bring in special order handguns.

I'm not going to predict true or not true. firearms and ammunition generate a lot of revenue for a little space. Every box of premium centerfire ammunition generates more revenue and profits than an entire bale of sugar, and takes up a total of 3" of shelf space. They'd love to sell a handgun for $500, bank $100 in profits, put a local dealer out of business, and collect the profits from every item that other store might have sold otherwise.

will the potential for bad publicity outweigh the absolute certainty of revenue, profit, customer appreciation, and all that jazz? Will they risk reputation for money?

Probably. with wm, follow the money and you can predict their actions.

1-UP

Call me naive, but I doubt Wal-Mart would pose any more threat to local gun shops than the internet already does.

Heck, I can see a theoretical upside for the locals. Wal-mart gets a lot more foot traffic and face-time with the general public. Fella or gal sees a gun in Wal-Mart and gets to thinking about buying one. Maybe they even buy the gun at the store itself. That gets them into the hobby and theoretically into the local gunshops when their needs become more specialized than what Wal-Mart chooses to provide.

Not to mention the political benefits of being able to buy a gun at a mainstream store.

pjp74

The company I work for does a fair amount of service for Wal Mart, I have asked managers in the recent past about carrying handguns. The unanimous answer has been "NO", handguns will only be sold in Alaska. They also said they don't want the headaches of selling and stocking handguns. But I will admit they are slowly bringing the long guns back in, and even saw a Supercenter in Tyler that had 2 AR15s and on M&P 15-22 on the shelf.

P.S. If you have a CHL in the state of Texas, the "no guns" sign at the front of the store isn't worth the piece of cardboard it's written on. Only a 30.06 sign can legally ban concealed carry.

m&p45acp10+1

Of the 4 Walmart stores withing 30 miles of this area 3 sell long guns. The one that no longer sells guns the decision was made to stop selling guns there because they were not selling enough of them. They still sell a lot of ammo there.
Many of the WM stores that stopped selling guns the only motive behind that was put something that sells out on the shelves. The local stores tend to go to WM to buy range ammo. They add $5 to $10 per box to the price and sell it on their shelves.

As far as them selling handguns I am not sure many of them would in the heavily restricted states. Just too much trouble for not enough profit. Though in states like Texas where they make the same phone call for an NICS check regardless if the customer is buying a handgun, or long gun. I could see it being practical.

Mike38

Wal-Mart has put thousands (if not tens or hundreds of thousands) of small, mom-and-pop type stores out of business.

Businesses have to evolve and keep up with the times, or close.

A century ago, a Mom and Pop store that sold buggy whips and horse shoes probably made a living. None around any longer. Should we blame Chevy? 50 years ago a Mom and Pop store that sold typewriters probably made a living. None are around any longer. Should we blame Compaq? 10 years ago a Mom and Pop book store probably made a living. Very few around any longer. Should we blame those iPads?

No. The horse buggy store started selling autos, or closed. The typewriter store started selling computers or closed. Evolve with the times or perish.

If a local Mom and Pop gun shop can’t compete with the prices of a WalMart or whomever. Do something about it rather then cry in your beer. WalMart and others do not repair guns. How about becoming a quality gunsmith and fix the guns sold at those other places? Good gunsmiths are a rare breed now a days. We could use more, agree?

Lost Sheep

Alaskan Wal-Marts do sell handgun.

I live in Anchorage, Alaska. Both Wal-Marts here (and in every other Wal-mart in the state I have heard of) sell handguns, long guns and shotguns. No reloading equipment, though. Odd, that.

I can't say much for their business practices, though. They sold me a .454 a few years ago and then (after I made payment) tried to cancel the sale.

Company HQ did not answer my email or phone call.

Their defense was that they didn't do repairs (though they did have a contract with a local gunsmith - Walmart disables all guns in their showcase and restores them when sold). The manager on duty agreed to replace the broken rear sight leaf. The overseeing manager decided to breach that contract.

Yes they do sell handguns, semi-auto and revolver. Yes, they take a heavy-handed approach to their customers. I assume they take an equally heavy-handed approach to their competition.

Lost Sheep

Rusty35

Mike38

Businesses have to evolve and keep up with the times, or close.

A century ago, a Mom and Pop store that sold buggy whips and horse shoes probably made a living. None around any longer. Should we blame Chevy? 50 years ago a Mom and Pop store that sold typewriters probably made a living. None are around any longer. Should we blame Compaq? 10 years ago a Mom and Pop book store probably made a living. Very few around any longer. Should we blame those iPads?

No. The horse buggy store started selling autos, or closed. The typewriter store started selling computers or closed. Evolve with the times or perish.

If a local Mom and Pop gun shop can’t compete with the prices of a WalMart or whomever. Do something about it rather then cry in your beer. WalMart and others do not repair guns. How about becoming a quality gunsmith and fix the guns sold at those other places? Good gunsmiths are a rare breed now a days. We could use more, agree?

We aint talking about horse buggy's and type writers,

We are talking about a mega corporation moving into an area and lowballing prices until all the competitors are gone, and then raising prices.

Gunsmiths are a rare breed because they cant make a living at it.
Gunsmiths cant make a living for the same reason mom and pop shops cant make it.

Cheap before quality.