Wal-mart ammo purchase

dajowi

The local Walmart has on two occasions asked me if the ammo I was buying was for a handgun.

Both times I looked them straight in the eye and said nope, machine gun. No problem.:D

medalguy

Beat me to it. Same exact scenario, buying several boxes of bulk .22 LR for my M16 with a Razorback belt-fed upper. The clerk really got confused when I told him machine gun. Made my day.

jimpeel

I work at Wal-Mart and we are prompted if the ammo will be used in a handgun yes/no. If we hit "no" it then asks if the buyer is over 18. If we hit "yes" the register asks if the buyer is over 21.

Ammo that is for handgun use only simply asks if the buyer is over 21.

spodwo

I work at Wal-Mart and we are prompted if the ammo will be used in a handgun yes/no. If we hit "no" it then asks if the buyer is over 18. If we hit "yes" the register asks if the buyer is over 21.
It never occurred to me but that makes total sense since in many states - a handgun cannot be in the posession of someone under 21 whereas a rifle or shotgun is allowed. I get it now....

jimpeel

I had a kid walk into the store wearing a .45. They were buying shotgun ammo and he was only 19. I told him "Strange that you can wear that and have it in your possession legally but you can't buy ammo for it."

He stated that they had plenty of ammo for it so there was no problem. He agreed with me that the law is a bit fickle.

spodwo

Cam 18 year olds buy ammunition in California? Can 18 year olds own a rifle but not a pistol? Are you talking about .22 ammo [which can be for a rifle or a pistol]. That may be a factor. In Illinois - 18 year olds cannot own a pistol but can own a .22 rifle, shotgun, etc at 18. I just bought some mini mags today and the question was asked: Is this for a pistol or rifle. Of course they didn't ask the question about the 9mm ammo I bought....

jimpeel

Ca(n) 18 year olds buy ammunition in California?

Yes.

Can 18 year olds own a rifle but not a pistol?

Yes.

I just bought some mini mags today and the question was asked: Is this for a pistol or rifle. Of course they didn't ask the question about the 9mm ammo I bought....

The register should have prompted for your age for both purchases. If they scan the pistol ammo first, and the answer is "Yes" that you are 21 or over, it will not prompt for the age for rifle ammo. It will, however, keep prompting for the "Pistol or rifle?" answer. The register already knows you are over eighteen after the question of your being twenty-one is satisfied.

If they scan the rifle ammo first it will prompt for "Eighteen?" and then will also prompt for the pistol ammo "Twenty-one?".

One day, I had a customer who bought a pocket knife, a DVD, and beer -- in that order. It first prompted "Sixteen?; then "Seventeen?"; and then "Twenty-one?". However, had I scanned the beer first ...

Edward429451

So what about those shotgun barrel inserts that shoot (pistol) rounds? You could make a Wal-Mart employees head explode answering shotgun. :D

jimpeel

When (if) they ask if the 9mm ammo I am buying is for a handgun I always answer "No. It is for a sub-machine gun." You get some curious looks.

Glenn E. Meyer

Is there a customer base in the city itself? I went to a range outside of SF with friends and a nice weird biker let me shoot his Anaconda in 44 mag for some rounds from my Glock 21.

Politics or economics?