Velocity and accuracy studies?

44 AMP

Staff
Absent an explanation from Norma, I'd say Uncle Nick's explanation is the most likely. The velocity and bullet chosen meets the power factor requirements he gave for those games, being "just enough" and not too much.

74A95

That speed of 856 fps only works if it makes that speed in your gun. It might not. Then you don't make power factor.

What barrel length was used for that speed?

If Norma copied either the SAAMI or the U.S. Army measuring standard for 45 Auto, it will have been tested in a five-inch barrel.

The actual velocity from an individual production firearm is certainly expected to be different, but what's on the box is for marketing purposes, and actual performance would be up to the individual to confirm. Still, Norma is claiming their hexagon ammunition is match grade and loaded with powders that maintain consistent velocity. This sounds a bit like magic if you take "consistent" to mean 'absolute' velocity from a five-inch tube rather than just referring to low variation, of course. But without obtaining and testing some, I can't say if they've worked out a better mouse trap or not.

Ike Clanton

I just started reloading with VV310 myself. With 4.2 grains I’m getting 785 fps loading Berrys 230gr RN, an 8inch barrel and suppressor.

74A95

I question whether they loaded to 856 fps to make major power factor (170) for IPSC. A drop of just 7 fps, to 849 fps, means the round would not make major. Given differences in speed with each barrel, the risk of not making power factor is high. Most folks who load for a power factor make their goal about 5 power factors over the minimum just to be safe.

A 2020-2021 catalog of Norma and other ammo brands (Geco, RWS, Rottweil) lists the 200 gr Hexagon 45 Auto under the Geco brand. It shows the same velocity of 856 fps (actually 261 m/ps). The speed is from a 150mm length barrel, which translates into 5.9". Not many 5.9" 45 caliber guns used in competition. Fired from a 5" barrel would be about 50 fps slower.

Interesting about the 150 mm barrel. The CIP specs are all about proofing and specify a standard twist but no standard barrel length. Unlike SAAMI, they have no standard velocity ranges for bullet weights, so they may not care about it. I looked up 45 Auto in QuickLOAD's table of test barrels, and all the labs listed there use 150 mm, except Keil, Germany, which uses a 200 mm barrel. I don't know how they came to choose that number over 127 mm, but it may have something to do with some particular guns the Europeans commonly chamber for 45 Auto.