Varmint caliber, that does 'blow up' game.

mikejonestkd

.30-.378 weatherby mag with 150 gr NBT!!!!! That'll open up just about any varmint you shoot it at!!!!

seriously though, the .22-250 and .220 swift tend to turn varmints into clouds of pink vapor.

Cheese

No bonded bullets, we want them to come apart!!! Any caliber will do it given a lightly (enough) constructed bullet. It is a function of a given bullet at a given speed (velocity and/or spin) no more, no less.

Lightly can be interpreted herein to mean any bullet with a thin enough jacket filled with soft enough lead or any bullet engineered to come apart.

mrawesome22

I shot a g-hog with a 30-06 and a 165 bonded bullet once. Trust me, it was explosive to say the least. He was in front of a grown up fence line when I shot. Afterward, he was part of the fence line. Guts and fur hanging from the bushes and little trees. It was an experience I'll never forget LOL.

CelticMP

Ok, wrong wrong wrong

You want to blow varmints up? That is not keeping with the true spirit of hunting. I am sorry I posted on this thread. I mis-read the original post, my mistake. Kind of sick what you wish to do. IMHO

mrawesome22

To me varmint hunting is pest control. Groundhogs tear up our fields, crow's tear up our crops, and coyotes are wreaking havoc on turkeys, deer, and rabbits around here. If they are going to die anyway, why does it matter if they blow up or not. If they "blow up" they are dying very quickly and feel no pain. Very humane if you ask me. I've ate or given away every deer, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, duck, goose I've ever shot. I am proud that I don't shoot anything that I don't plan on eating. Unless it's a varmint. Opossum, racoon, crow, coyote, groundhog populations are truly out of control here in SE OH, but I'm working on it LOL.

Dave R

I had a buddy who shot Rock Chucks with a 220 Swift. He said he still liked shooting 'em with his old '06 better, because "they blew up better."

tulsamal

The rifle that I've shot the most deer with is my Remington 700 Classic in .350 Remington Magnum with a 22" barrel. For deer hunting I use a Sierra 225 GameKing. But the .350 can use .357 Magnum pistol bullets. Take a Sierra 140-158 grain JHC bullet and load it over a max load of 4064. That bullet is going a LOT faster than it was designed for. But they have always stayed together for me. Until they hit something. You put one of those into the ribcage of a coyote and you can pick him up and pour his guts out in liquid form! Fun to shoot down into a creek at snapping turtles as well. You can actually get wet from the splash!

Gregg

TCman

Il have to agree with awesome22. The yotes will eat bird eggs such as turkey and grouse, eat small game such as rabbit, and young big game such as whitetail fawns. They wil also kill farmers calves. I dont have a problem killing one of them.

Jseime

I think it is less a question of caliber and more a question of bullet construction to make a varmint go splat.

Find light thinly constructed bullets for whatever caliber you have and theyll go poof.

auburnboattail

220 swift

I use 220 swift. On groundhogs, possum, crows coyotes the exit wounds are very severe, it blows the entire exit area away. I kill these varmints because they eat my crops and as such I want to make sure that after a hit the critters are dead. I also have a 22-250 and 25-06 and found that I prefer the 220 swift. Norma ammo is about a $1 a round. I believe velocity is about 4000 F.P.S.

10 MickeyMouse

None of them will have the explosive effects at greater ranges (much over 100 yards). Most of the videos you see where vermin truly come apart involve very close shots.

Any of the high velocity cartridges will accomplish this with proper bullet selection. But once velocities start dropping down around 3,000 FPS, you just get big holes.

TheJimmies

7mm Mag.

Nice to meet you guys. I just read some of your comments and it reminded me of this one time my dad and I ambushed a pack of four dogs that were attacking and even eating his neighbor's animals, namely chickens, rams, goats, and small cattle. Anyway, my dad pulled out his Rem. 7mm Mag. and I with my Savage 110 .308. not too big of a weapon when one's thinking of blowing up a dog. However, his rifle did cause some major damage. The first dog he put down was at about 40 yards. the dog coughted loudly as the bullet went into his chest. He fell torn up. He followed up with another kill at 250 yds. His neighbor was holding my rifle as I was compelled to give it to him as they were his animals. I think a 7mm Mag. could send body parts pretty far from a p-dog.

taylorce1

I think it is less a question of caliber and more a question of bullet construction to make a varmint go splat.
Jesime hit the nail on the head. If you can find a light jacketed bullet and push them at medium to high velocities then they will do what you ask. There are a lot of varmint bullets out their up to .30 cal that will cause explosive expansion on varmints. If you use a Vmax, SX, TNT, BTV, or Varminter bullets you will get the results you want.

I've pretty much shot prairie dogs with every caliber I own from .22lr up to .50 cal BP at one time. Using a .50 caliber round ball on the p-dogs just caused them to tumble did very little damage. .223, .243, and .270 do far more damage on colony rodents for me using 45, 55, and 90 grain respectivly. My .223 is the workhorse though it is much more pleasureable to shoot than anything else.

WeedWacker

120 mm howitzer or a 40 mm M203 grenade :D

But seriously, a 7 mm mg is a step below the .300 win mag and I have seen first hand what it does to the chest on a side shot (completely pulverized the lungs even though it was closer to the mid section and the deer was quartered towards me slightly. Opened up the diaphragm and it was a purple soup that came out)

10 ga slug

Do they make 8 ga or is it a myth?

Last but not least: the monster 12 ga rifle from hell as posted in the forums

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197214

1212.jpg