Vaquero vs SAA: compare and contrast

savit260

I have owned them all, and if you are going to compare the Colt with any of them, then the only one that comes close is the New Vaquero

Have you ever owned , handled or shot a USFA?

IMO , USFA is in the same league (if not a slightly higher league) than the Colt's.

A New Vaquero is a great gun, but doesn't really compare to either of those.

I love the Rugers, but the feel of the transfer bar action just isn't the same.

44 AMP

Staff
Odd man out...

I will say this, Colts are pretty. Pretty expensive, too.

Other than that, I have no use for them.

I have had a Ruger new model Blackhawk since 1983. Currently have about a dozen, Blackhawks, Super B, Vaqueros and New Vaquero.

To me, Colts (clones) and the New Vaquero just don't feel right. They are too small.

Colts can only safely be carried with 5.

They are more fragile than Rugers. They work differently. And, personally, hearing C-O-L-T when is cock the gun matters not to me.

Most of mine wear oversize rubber grips (another heresy!:eek:)

I'm probably the odd man out, but I'm not a fan of Colt SAAs. They are nice guns, but Rugers are better, for me, anyway.

PetahW

The only thing I have against a Freedom Arms (besides price) is that I don't care for stainless steel in a classic design (like stainless Ruger #1 rifles).

BUT, when considering a blued carbon steel USFA (now defunct) Colt SAA copy............. :rolleyes: .:D

Hunter Customs

I've owned SA Colts love the feel of them, sold them only because someone got crazy with their money.

I have one Colt SA Revolver, unfired new in the box.
I have no intentions on shooting it so it will most likely stay in it's present condition as long as I own it.

I have a couple of Ruger SA revolvers one is a Super Blackhawk Hunter the other is a New Vaquero.
The New Vaquero although smaller then a Vaquero is still bulkier feeling then a Colt or Colt Clone.

I just purchased a Cimarron model P-OM SA revolver (Uberti Colt Clone).
The fit and finish of the revolver is excellent, the trigger pull is easily lighter then any Colt I ever owned and shot, about half the pull weight and much cleaner and crisp feeling of either of my Rugers.

How well the Cimarron holds up only time will tell.
However I'm so impressed with the Cimarron SA revolver that I have a Cimarron Bisley model on order.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have seen, handled and owned, (and shot) a fair number of SA revolvers of the Colt type, and the only modern gun that feels like the old pre-WWII Colt is the now gone USFA. The new Colts are different; don't ask me how, but they are just not the same. The Rugers are fine, solid, reliable and durable guns, but they are not Colts and don't feel or handle like Colts.

Jim

dgludwig

Odd man out...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say this, Colts are pretty. Pretty expensive, too.

Other than that, I have no use for them.

You have company. Two odd men out. :)

Screwball

I love my New Vaquero Convertible... got it on Davidson's right before Sandy Hook (5.5" in stainless).

The ability to shoot .45 ACP is the main reason I went with it, being a SAA "clone" was a distant second. No interest in having one for any different reason that I got a 1911... it is an American design that I wanted to be a part of my collection. Not going into any cowboy action shooting, just something I'd like to have/shoot from time to time.

Would I have gone with a true Colt if I had the money? NO! I don't have the need. The Ruger works fine, and I'm happy with it. Even other manufacturers swayed me away with price/features. The Ruger is nicely made, and if anything goes wrong, I know they will take care of it. Some other companies, I have no idea on their customer service (not directed towards any specific one).

Colt46

The Ruger is superior

However, the Colt is a COLT. Over a hundred years of romance, history, etc. etc. associated with them. The Colts are like fine watches. They are perfect but a little finicky and it's advisable to have a parts box handy to keep in perfect order.

The ruger will shoot all day long and twice on sunday with nary a hiccup.