Value Priced Semi-Autos: CZ, EAA, Ruger, Llama and Kel Tec?

Any comment on these pistols? I was thinking of EAA Witness target pistols at CDNN. Those, especially the .45 seem to be a great price around $300. All the other "value" pistols are priced right there as well. Which would be the best bang for the buck so to speak? Thanks.

Shmackey

The CZ and Ruger, in spite of their very good prices, are in their own category above the others you mention. I don't think many people would argue about that.

As for my own opinion, CZ beats Ruger. Try both and see.

mlk18

I guess it kind of depends on what you want the gun for. I am a a big fan of Kel-Tec's P11, which CDNN lists for $209. But if you're going to spend alot of time putting holes in targets, then the EAA Witness Target would be the way to go. Ruger and CZ are excellent firearms, but Llama is sub-standard in my experience.

mlk18

Tropical Z

That CDNN witness will either be the finest gun ever made or a total POS.I've had great luck with all my inexpensive handguns with the exception of the Helwan(berretta copy)and Intratec sport.22.Both of those were hopeless garbage.

As was already mentioned, Ruger and CZ should not even be mentioned in the same sentence with the rest of those. If you have set some kind of price range and CZ or Ruger has a gun that fits in that range, that is the way to go. As mentioned, the Llama stuff I have seen and fired is substandard. I have both a Kel-Tec P11 and P32. They are both decent, but quality control is spotty and the fit and finish of even the good ones is nothing like what you would get with Ruger or CZ. I have never owned a Witness but I have heard about the same comments as the Kel-Tec. Quality control is spotty; you might get a good one, you might not etc. That isn't an issue with CZ or Ruger. I would compare quality, durablity, accuracy, reliability etc. of CZ and Ruger with anything made in the world.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

What's up with EAA? Where are they made? I thought they import from Italy or something. I tried to search for EAA Witness, but the search function isn't working very well. :rolleyes:

DougB

I also would lean toward the CZ or Ruger, although I have several Kel-Tecs and like them as well. I don't see any indication that the Kel-Tecs have poorer fit and finish than the CZs or Rugers. My P40 isn't reliable (I'm sending it back for Kel-Tec to check out), but my P11 and P32s work fine, and all seem well-made. If you want small and light, go with a Kel-Tec (except the P40). Othewise, I'd go with a CZ if they make a gun in the caliber and configuration you like. If you want a 10mm or other configuration not made by CZ, I might try a Witness, but (based mostly on what I've read here on TFL), I'd do so with some aprehension. I think the Ruger polymer framed .45s are also pretty nice. But a CZ75 would be my first choice.

Doug

Amish

Buy a Baby Eagle, they cost around $400. I like the grip on them better and the looks. I also would rather deal with Magnum Research customer service than EAA's.

David Scott

From your list I have owned a Llama .357 revolver -- total POS. I took it back and paid the extra for the S&W it was copied from. I bought Thelma a Kel-Tec P32; it had a minor jam-up when new, the factory fixed it qiuck and free, smooth as silk ever since. I carry a Ruger P95 when has been utterly reliable from day one.

The EAA is a copy of a CZ design built in Italy by Tanfoglio. I've heard comments that the original CZ is better quality.

WESHOOT2

GLUTTON

I love all my EAA Witnesses, but I was willing to work with them.

Trouble-free expectation = CZ and Ruger.

You can feel safe and secure buying a CZ or Ruger, as generally they come trouble-free and accurate. If not, good service is available.

I'm still thinking EAA............but I own six Ruger wheels..........

Eric Larsen

I would rate the guns mentioned in this order...CZ , Ruger, Keltec and Llama.....in respect to quality, dependability, value etc...........
The EAA witness line is generally regarded as a good gun. The quality of this CZ Clone isnt what CZ is, but are good none the less. The only witness I have seen and played with was a 10 mm
and came from EAA with a badly pitted barrel......kinda not good.
Shoot well

treeprof

I used to own a Ruger P95, now own 2 CZ's (75 and 85 Combat), and for accuracy and overall "grace and style", the CZ's win hands down. Nothing functionally wrong with a Ruger IMO, but the CZ is, I believe, generally a more accurate pistol. It also lacks the "brick" look of Rugers, has a thinner profile and better "lines", and offers either DA/SA or SA operation.

I've never owned a Witness, but know a few folks who do, and it seem like QA/QC is more hit-or-miss. I wouldn't have TOO much hesitation with the Kel Tec, but wouldn't touch a Llama.

22lovr

Ever shot a CZ? WOW.

I had the pleasure of shooting a friend's new .40 cal full-sized CZ. Turned out to be the most controllable, comfortable .40 cal I've yet shot. I was thoroughly impressed with the fit and finish on the CZ.

Tropical Z

I just hope my new CZ-75 is more accurate than the test target shows.If not,it'll be tough to hit a paper plate at 20 feet!