USN

mk86fcc

OK, we might as well go ahead and get the Navy thread started.

NEC 1130 myself - Chief Fire Controlman for the MK86 Gun Fire Control System (we be the ones giving you Marines fire support...), currently on well deserved shore duty as a tech rep

------------------
"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
"An armed society is a polite society."
Robert Heinlein

Gunslinger

Oh goody. A chance for me to tell all my sailor jokes! ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Former STG2 (sonar technician).
USS Downes FF-1070

1987 to 1992

The Navy was a great growing experience for me. IMHO most kids coming out of highschool would be better served by a few years in the military than going straight to college.

Jack 99

Navy?

Navy?

I have vague recollections of water, lots of freakin' water. Lots of guys wearing blue dungarees, some a-hole with a whistle waking me up every couple hours.......

Wait, its all getting clearer now. USS Stein, FF-1065, Quartermaster, 1986-1990.

In 1987 we spent over 270 days at sea, the most sea time for a Navy ship (up to 1987) since WWII.

Of our 90 odd days in port, we had less than 30 of those in our home port (San Diego). Some of the snipes could count the number of times they actually got to sleep in the same bed with their wives on both hands (spent very little time running "cold iron").

Needless to say, I'm a civilian now.

jeffelkins

My son-in-law is a serving officer (meterologist) who's just finishing up grad school in Monterey Ca and will be starting a duty station in Pensacola in July.

Go Navy! :)

mk86fcc

Lot's of water? Well, of course.

A young seaman goes to see the Command Master Chief. He complains, "Master Chief, my recruiter told me I'd see the world in the Navy. All I've seen for the last 5 weeks is water as far as the eye can see!"

The Master Chief responds, "Son, 3/4 of the earth's surface is covered with water - that's what we've been showing you. Had you wanted to see the other 25%, you should have joined the Army."

------------------
Robert Heinlein

Shawn Dodson

NEC 3311/3315 Poseidon/Trident Fleet Ballistic Missile Technician (MT2/SS)

USS Hunley, AS-31
USS George Bancroft, SSBN 643 (Gold)
Strategic Weapons Facility, Pacific (SWFPAC), Naval Submarine Base Bangor, Washington

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

fubsy

CTO3, 1973-1979---never once, not once put a foot on a us ship or is that boat, heck I ferget--they made up for it, I was either the 2nd or 3rd crew assigned to Diego Garcia in the Chagos Archiapelgos.....was on that rock for 8 mos., before I could get leave...might sound crazy, had some good times there....fubsy.

Jack 99

I spent 2 weeks on Diego Garcia in '87.

Seemed to be pretty relaxed duty all the way around. I went out and snorkeled all over the reef almost every day. Those crabs were wild though. Couldn't take 2 steps without stepping on one. Must have been mating season or something.

Joseph

PH2, Photographers Mate, Fleet Intelligence Center, Pacific Facility (FicPacFac), Cubi Pt, Philippines, 1966-68. Aerial recon of North Vietnam and China.

A good time was had by all!!!

[This message has been edited by Joseph (edited March 09, 2000).]

crobrun

Ex nuke - EM3 USS Longbeach CGN9

------------------
Rob
From the Committee to Use Proffesional Politicians as Lab Animals

USMCGrunt

Maybe one of you guys could answer me this. My first duty station was in Naples, Italy (what a stinkin' pit!) where we pulled security. I knew a lot of squids that couldn't swim, had never spent time on a ship and didn't want to either. Now if you are joining the Navy, isn't it a good idea to know how to swim and maybe expect to be on a ship at some time? Hell, for being a Marine, I spent more time at sea than some of the sailors I know. LOL

fubsy

Jack99,
Ive heard the place has changed over the years.....we live in the std ole huts on the beach, made of wood and chicken wire, tin roofs, lightbulbs in the lockers supposedly to reduce mildue....pretty standard for that area of the world att I believe. We had fresh food once every 4 mos., plenty of beer and liquor. No recreation, except shelling or snorkeling, fishing was incredible. When I was there they were in the process of opening up harbor to allow larger "boats" to come in. There were no women on this island, no natives on this island, (the british had removed them to england and they were still protesting att)...a ton of the little donkeys, we were there right after the crew who built the tree houses ocean side moved to the lagoon side. Those crabs were eaten by a lot of the islanders and people who were there to help in the harbor. It was 1500 people when I was there, mostly seabees, very insane people--I liked em a lot, we wore seabee greens, and received fresh clothes on saturdays I think...been a long time.....The place is beautiful though.......if you like an incredible ocean, sky and sun......fubsy.

mk86fcc

USMCGrunt -
Yep, ya'd think so woondcha? However, there are many rates in the Navy that because of their "support" nature never have to get underway. Personally, I think everybody ought to get underway at least once, just so they've got a clue exactly what it is they're supporting - but I wasn't consulted. As far as the swimming goes, everyone has to be at least a Class IV swimmer. What's that mean? Be able to float unassisted for one minute (or maybe it's 1½ - can't remember).

------------------
Robert Heinlein

Cat

I was in from 1962 to 1967. Spend eight months at GLTC for Boot and "A" school. Served on the U.S.S. Mauna Loa AE-8 for 3 years as an EN-3. Then went to the South East Asia War Games on an LCU in I Corp for 369 days, from 7-66 to 7-67, running up and down rivers and the South China Sea from DaNang to Hue and Dong Ha with an occasional trip to Chu Lai. I was the port gunner on the twin 20 mm mount as well as Assistant Engineer.
Some of the greatest people in the world were there and some still are.
Neil Casper

Jack 99

fubsy,

And I thought we had it bad because the bowling alley was closed the entire time we were there!

USMCGrunt-

Chief is right, some rates never go to sea. We once had a Radioman 1st class come on board who had 12 years in before his first sea duty on the Stein. You've never heard a grown man bitch and moan and cry so much. He had actually volunteered for sea duty to help him make chief, too.

The real reason I got out was that I never met a Quartermaster who had done less than 9 years at sea before getting shore duty. Rotation is supposed to be 5 and 2 (worst the Navy has to offer), but you have a hard time finding a QM who even got that.