Using range bag for air travel?

Yung.gunr

It is all about the current post 9/11 security measures. Two stories about pre 9/11....
One.... My dad went to get on the plane with a buck knife in a belt holster. It had about a 3 inch blade. They took it, put it in a paper envelope gave it back to him and let him board. Once on the plane he opened it up and put it back in the holster.
Two.... Also pre 9/11, we were coming back from scout camp and a guy in my troop tried to board with 12 pocketknives in his carry on baggage. They put them all in a box, taped it up and gave the box back to him.

Now.. Post 9/11 they required a 90 woman to take off her depends because of a suspicious bulge.

Don't take anything on a plane anymore. Don't give them a reason.....

Kreyzhorse

When I was traveling a lot for work, TSA was always pulling me aside and giving my lap top bag the swab test.

Personally, I'd stay clear of taking any thing on a plane as a carry on that was used as a range bag. It's just not worth the PITA that it could cause if you get swabbed or sniff tested.

Ridge_Runner_5

I did it once, coming home to Denver from LAX. Pass through with no trouble. Got home and found a few unfired rounds of .22 inside the bag.

FrankenMauser

Out of dozens of flights in the last decade, I have only had 2 (maybe 3) instances, where I DID NOT trip the explosives sniffer.

I had clean clothes, bags that never came in direct contact with firearms related gear, and hadn't been shooting in weeks....

It didn't matter what bags I used to travel, they always got red flagged. Now, I just plan for an additional delay...

On a bit of a side note:
Never travel with your cell phone charger wrapped around a rifle scope in your carry-on bag, especially if flying out of an anti-gun state. After the scanner showed an image that looked like a pipe bomb, and I interjected that they were looking at a "rifle scope", all hell broke loose. :eek: It wasn't much fun.
- If you ever travel with a rifle scope, call it a "monocular" or "spotting scope"; not a "rifle scope"; and DON'T wrap cords around it. ;) You'll end up getting to know some unfriendly secure areas in the airport.

ZeroJunk

We always shoot our rifles before a hunt. My hunting partner took his bag to the range and then tried to carry it back on the plane. Of course, it was Great Falls and they are used to that kind of thing. But, it is still a hassle. I don't do it.