US Army Awards M4/M4A1 Contract to Remington

Te Anau

The US Army Ends Colt Contract, Buys Remington M4s

This is an interesing article on the Army M4 contract.The Army plans on spending a little over $670.00 per rifle.Kinda makes you sick when you see how much some civilian AR's cost. :mad:
"This is also a boon for Remington which has been fighting (some would argue weakly-supported) allegations of faulty designs and a disregard for public safety from the television network NBC."

http://www.guns.com/us-army-ends-exclusive-m4-contract-colt-buys-remington-7235.html

tahunua001

funny thing is all those remington ARs are just restamped DPMS and bushmasters which have both failed to meet DOD specs.

hopefully now some of the colt snobs may come off they high horses for a while and admit that other companies can actually make a decent gun.

however I will say that if my 4 years of "accelerating my life" has taught me anything, it's that lowest bidder is still HIGH on the military's list of criteria

RamItOne

Thought FN had their hands in some of our M16's...

Off their high horse, heh they'll first need a peasant (non colt ar owner) to use as a step down.

5RWill

tahunua said:
Funny thing is all those remington ARs are just restamped DPMS and bushmasters which have both failed to meet DOD specs.

I know right? Ironic to me that a Cerberus owned company will now be developing the Military's specified weapon. Honestly i wouldn't want it, i don't necessarily get that high quality manufacture process feel from Bushy, DPMS, or remington. I know they're building to spec but still... i'm a weary person especially when it comes to Cerberus.

Technosavant

funny thing is all those remington ARs are just restamped DPMS and bushmasters which have both failed to meet DOD specs.

You DO realize that it's possible for a company to make multiple products to different quality levels, right?

As for the price, well, if you were buying ARs by the thousands I imagine they'd cut you a pretty sweet deal as well.

RT

The prototype will look exactly like the current M4 but with a different rollmark. It must conform to the TDP so it'll be exactly the same as the M4

Jeff F

Remington will be Colt's M4 TDP (technical data package) by the DOD and will be making those M4's to Colt specs. They probably already have it.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Colt-M4-Data-Rights-The-Individual-Carbine-Competition-06942/

This might be a good thing if Colt floods the cilvilian market with AR's. Price might come down even more. Brand new Colt's are a very good deal right now.

Scharfschuetzer

Over the years I've been issued the following M16A1/M16A2/M4A1s:

Hydramatic (General Motors I believe)
Colt
Harrington & Richardson
Fabrique National

They all shot pretty well, with the H&R M16A1 as the standout accuracy wise. The FN M4A1s had some feeding issues when originally issued to us in the early 90s, but that was worked out fairly fast. As I understood it, Colt could not provide FN with the actual specs for the weapons and thus the issues. I can't document the veracity of that, but it came from the ordnance guys involved with our weapons.

In the end, all of them shot pretty well when not abused. I'm sure the Remingtons will too, but I'll be retired before they get issued.

Last edited:

Jeff F

Yep, Colts are going to be available all over the place in the coming months. Did you notice the price of that wally world AR? I'm thinking it was a Colt 6920.