UPS making life harder for rural gun shippers

dogtown tom

jonnyc Get an account, write and print your own labels, drop it off and get a receipt. No discussion needed. I got both UPS and Fedex accounts; one of the smartest things I ever did.
Um, in the event of loss, theft or damage the discussion you'll have with UPS is why they denied your claim.

dogtown tom

Doyle
Quote:
That's great. But...
Unless UPS exempts people with accounts from their rules and regulations (which I doubt), that would put one in violation of their rules and regulations. That can be a crime, since they're a common carrier.

This brings up an interesting question. The warranty center for a company like Ruger likely sends out dozens (maybe hundreds) of firearms every day via UPS/FedEx. Ruger uses their own account to produce the shipping labels and the carrier's trucks will come get them.

I wonder if the guy at Ruger's shipping desk points to each package and says to the driver "This is a firearm, this is a firearm, this is parts, this is a firearm, etc."
I don't.
While failing to notify the carrier that you are shipping a firearm to a licensee is not a crime, it does violate their tariff.
But, failing to notify a common carrier when shipping interstate to a nonlicensee? That's a felony.

dogtown tom

Frankenmauser said: "I have had other FFLs (in other places) ship firearms for me in the past. The package went outbound from the FFL, under my name, and on the inbound leg (if there was one), went straight to my door. Easy, reasonable fees, and almost no inconvenience."
Your dealer is an idiot, and likely committing a felony.

cjwils

My local FFL told me that if he ships a gun to a repair facility for me, it must be returned to him, and I must go through a background check to get my gun back.
That may be true in WA, but federal law does not require a check:
§478.124 Firearms transaction record.

(a) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.
No 4473 means no NICS check.

dogtown tom

Aguila Blanca

But if you have your own UPS account, all your shipments are direct with UPS -- no UPS Store involved. And you can specify the mode of shipping when you generate the label.
True, but that's his complaint. UPS prohibits dropping off firearm shipments at a UPS Store.

dogtown tom

langenc ….. Problem was too many thieves employed by UPS so guns had to go overnight from the depot.
Rifles and shotguns can ship Ground. Only handguns have to go UPS Next Day. ("Overnight" is a FedEx service)

dogtown tom

Doyle
Quote:
True, but that's his complaint. UPS prohibits dropping off firearm shipments at a UPS Store.

They used to do a scheduled pickup. Do they no longer do this?
Scheduled pickups are fine, on call pickups are not.
From https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page?srch_pos=3&srch_phr=handgun
Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.

See the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping ("UPS Terms") for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.

jdc606

Sold more than a few long-guns through online auction sites(Auctionarms, Gunbroker) They both recommend using USPS, which we did without a problem. Lowest cost too. Cannot ship handguns or ammo via USPS.

Scorch

My local FFL told me that if he ships a gun to a repair facility for me, it must be returned to him
This part is true. The firearm MUST be returned to the shipper's address. Otherwise, it is considered a transfer and must go through a background check and transfer.
, and I must go through a background check to get my gun back.
Not so. If the dealer/gunsmith returns the firearm to the person who gave it to him in the first place it is not a transfer, so no background check is required. Giving a firearm to a gunsmith or repair center is not a transfer. So, you give it to the gunsmith (not a transfer), he ships it to a repair facility (not a transfer), the repair facility ships it back (not a transfer), and he returns it to you (not a transfer). Background checks are required when there is a transfer of ownership. Where did a transfer occur?

dogtown tom

Scorch ….Background checks are required when there is a transfer of ownership.
"Ownership" is not a word used in federal firearms laws as they pertain to possession.
It is possible to have an ownership interest in a firearm, but not have lawful possession.
Example: You purchase a Glock from an internet retailer, GunBroker auction or the WTS forum here.....you own that gun. But you cannot take lawful possession until you complete a Form 4473/NICS. If you fail the NICS, you still own the gun, but cannot take possession. The seller is under no obligation to return your $$$. The gun doesn't become the property of your dealer, but you'll need to come to an agreement on the sale or disposition.

Under Federal law/ATF regulations, a 4473/background check is required when a firearm is transferred from a licensee to a nonlicensee. The only exception is the return of a repaired or replacement firearm to the person from whom it was received. CFR 478.124a

Scorch

478.124 Firearms transaction record.
a. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.
From the section you cited. Emphasis added. I am a gunsmith by trade, I do this for a living. I was shown this by the ATF agent who audited me when I set up and applied for my license.