UPS making life harder for rural gun shippers

FrankenMauser

I live in one of the five largest cities in Idaho.
Though big for Idaho, it is, admittedly, a small city (even including the 'metropolitan area') that must be considered 'rural' under most circumstances.

I just found out that our UPS Customer Service Center closed its customer counter in May, and no longer accepts shipments at the facility.

Seems simple. But it means firearms can no longer be shipped from this area by a private individual, via UPS.
Even the UPS employee that I ran into at the location (and was kind enough to accept the package that I had with me) was surprised when I asked, "So what is someone supposed to do if they need to ship a firearm? The UPS Store won't accept it."

Her reply was, "I hadn't thought of that. I don't think anyone has thought of that. I'll ask at our next meeting."

When I got home, I started digging through the wasteland that is the internet, and making phone calls to locations around the state.
It seems that all of the other Customer Service Centers within 100 miles of me have been closed, as well. The locations still operate for delivery and sorting; but there's no longer a staffed customer service counter.

I called every UPS Store within a 2-hour drive that was listed as a location accepting "Restricted Items" (the category for firearms), and asked if I could get an estimate for a firearm shipment. All, of course, said they couldn't ship firearms. To that, I would respond with, "You are listed as a location that accepts restricted items. What other restricted items don't you accept."
The responses were generally along the lines of, "Just firearms and certain live animals."

So, if someone in this area wants (or needs**) to ship a firearm via UPS, the closest location is 180 miles away, each way - or about 2.5 hours, if traffic and road conditions are okay.

I doubt that it was a move done specifically to spite gun owners, but it sure is irritating.

FedEx? Closest location that I could ship a firearm out of is 55 miles away.
USPS? I am not a dealer. That means long guns only, and even that is a hassle.

Has anyone else noticed this in other parts of the country?

**I've had two instances in the last decade when a firearm shipment HAD to go through a specific carrier. One was a "warranty" claim, and the company ONLY accepted packages from UPS. FedEx and USPS shipments for warranty service were refused delivery, and returned.
Another was the return of a firearm, after a dispute about how it was represented went to arbitration, and the terms of the judgement required FedEx as the return carrier (claimed to be for insurance reasons). No other carriers would be allowed, or the judgement would be void.

jmr40

I don't ship many guns, and it has been a while at that. None of the UPS counters have ever accepted guns. The few I've shipped through UPS were done at the hub where packages come and go. Fortunately for me there is one about 10 miles away.

I've always done better shipping long guns USPS anyway, but that is really dependent on the local office.

Paying a FFL to ship for you seems like the best option. Gotta be cheaper than driving 100-350 miles round trip.

jmr40 said:
I don't ship many guns, and it has been a while at that. None of the UPS counters have ever accepted guns. The few I've shipped through UPS were done at the hub where packages come and go. Fortunately for me there is one about 10 miles away.
What do you mean by "UPS counters"? If that refers to UPS stores, they have never been allowed to accept firearms. UPS stores are individual franchises, not company-owned and company-operated. It has always been the rule that firearms (and ammunition) could only be shipped from an actual UPS hub.

Tony Z

In PA, our local UPS center has a "package counter", in the building, where you can drop off packages for shipment. The "counter" is part of UPS and not a UPS Store. Unfortunately, UPS Centers are many miles apart and are where tractor trailers drop off & pickup truckload shipments, with delivery vans loaded for local deliveries.

Doyle

My one and only time needing warranty service the manufacturer sent me a shipping label so all I had to do was either drop it off in one of their boxes or give it to a passing driver.

dogtown tom

FrankenMauser…. "So what is someone supposed to do if they need to ship a firearm?
Take it to your neighborhood FFL.....he can ship a handgun USPS for less than half the price of UPS/FedEx.

jonnyc

Get an account, write and print your own labels, drop it off and get a receipt. No discussion needed. I got both UPS and Fedex accounts; one of the smartest things I ever did.

FrankenMauser

Take it to your neighborhood FFL.....he can ship a handgun USPS for less than half the price of UPS/FedEx.
Paying a FFL to ship for you seems like the best option. Gotta be cheaper than driving 100-350 miles round trip.
I wondered if I should have addressed the above concept in my original post, but didn't want to bloat the post any more.
Here, for whatever reason, none of the FFLs that I have done business with and posed the question to will ship a firearm for a customer without "buying" it from them first, in order to "sell it back" upon return. It's a ridiculous concept, and not something that I'm am going to partake in. I've never heard of it anywhere else.

I have had other FFLs (in other places) ship firearms for me in the past. The package went outbound from the FFL, under my name, and on the inbound leg (if there was one), went straight to my door. Easy, reasonable fees, and almost no inconvenience.
I wouldn't mind having to pick something back up from the FFL, even if there was a minor transfer fee. But I'm having no part in, "sell it to us and then buy it back"...

Get an account, write and print your own labels, drop it off and get a receipt. No discussion needed. I got both UPS and Fedex accounts; one of the smartest things I ever did.
That's great. But...
Unless UPS exempts people with accounts from their rules and regulations (which I doubt), that would put one in violation of their rules and regulations. That can be a crime, since they're a common carrier.

**UPS claims that they are NOT a common carrier ... unless it suits them in court. Then they'll argue for as long as necessary to convince a judge that they ARE a common carrier - which no court really ever doubts, anyway.

Doyle

That's great. But...
Unless UPS exempts people with accounts from their rules and regulations (which I doubt), that would put one in violation of their rules and regulations. That can be a crime, since they're a common carrier.

This brings up an interesting question. The warranty center for a company like Ruger likely sends out dozens (maybe hundreds) of firearms every day via UPS/FedEx. Ruger uses their own account to produce the shipping labels and the carrier's trucks will come get them.

I wonder if the guy at Ruger's shipping desk points to each package and says to the driver "This is a firearm, this is a firearm, this is parts, this is a firearm, etc."

FrankenMauser said:
That's great. But...
What UPS rules or regulations would be broken?

I am sorry for your woes, FM. Life is generally harder in rural areas because of lack of access to resources in general.

UPS isn't making your life harder or harder for gun owners. They are just no longer making it easier. There is a significant difference. However, if you are going to blame UPS for making it harder on you for making a financial decision on how they run their business, then you need to also blame FedEx, DHL, USPS, and your local gun stores who have been doing you a disservice for so much longer.

So why aren't you upset with FedEx for not installing a facility closer to you? You are lucky, however. If the closest FedEx shipping facility is only 55 miles away, it would probably take you less than an hour to get there. It can take me 1.5-2 times as long to get to some places 55 miles from me.

However, you said you were in one of the top five largest cities in Idaho. Those would be Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Idaho Falls, or Pocatello. All 5 of those have FedEx shipping centers. https://www.google.com/search?q=fed...;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e3!2m1!1e16!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4

cjwils

Frankenmauser said: "I have had other FFLs (in other places) ship firearms for me in the past. The package went outbound from the FFL, under my name, and on the inbound leg (if there was one), went straight to my door. Easy, reasonable fees, and almost no inconvenience."

My local FFL told me that if he ships a gun to a repair facility for me, it must be returned to him, and I must go through a background check to get my gun back.

osbornk

You don't live in a rural area at all. Try living in a real rural area. I live near the county seat that has a population of 6,000. The closest city with a population over 100,000 is about 150 miles away in the next state. We've never had a UPS Customer Service Center of any kind. You city slickers don't know how good you have it.

FrankenMauser

Method of shipment and type of service required would be the most likely. And shipping a firearm (or parts) through a third party retailer (a.k.a. "UPS Store"), for example, is a direct violation of their terms of service.
Section 3.7 on page 7: https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/media/en_US/terms_service_us.pdf

This brings up an interesting question. The warranty center for a company like Ruger likely sends out dozens (maybe hundreds) of firearms every day via UPS/FedEx. Ruger uses their own account to produce the shipping labels and the carrier's trucks will come get them.

I wonder if the guy at Ruger's shipping desk points to each package and says to the driver "This is a firearm, this is a firearm, this is parts, this is a firearm, etc."
Ruger certainly has a service contract with UPS, which points out that the majority of shipments are going to be firearms.

FrankenMauser said:
Method of shipment and type of service required would be the most likely. And shipping a firearm (or parts) through a third party retailer (a.k.a. "UPS Store"), for example, is a direct violation of their terms of service.
But if you have your own UPS account, all your shipments are direct with UPS -- no UPS Store involved. And you can specify the mode of shipping when you generate the label.

langenc

Copied from #3
What do you mean by "UPS counters"? If that refers to UPS stores, they have never been allowed to accept firearms. UPS stores are individual franchises, not company-owned and company-operated. It has always been the rule that firearms (and ammunition) could only be shipped from an actual UPS hub.

Just a dumb UPS rule. My local copy shop woul;d take mine. She did get into a hassle and now dont do UPS at all.

maybe someone will take their feet off the desk and realize the situation and allow
"counter' to take guns. Problem was too many thieves employed by UPS so guns had to go overnight from the depot.

RETG

I have shipped a lot of items via UPS with my personal account and do not remember ever being asked what was in the package. There might be some small print I don't notice about restricted items....not sure.

The only thing that could cause a problem is if the package with a gun was lost, UPS might not pay the claim; not sure.

As to the OP, I live in Idaho two hours minimum from any type of shipping from an Idaho actual UPS or Fedex owned location.

I just use a local gun shop, he charges a small fee plus USPS shipping and most likely it is cheaper than UPS anyway.