UPS: "Gee ... You Haven't Ordered Ammo for Quite Awhile ..."

Jeff Thomas

Just curious about your opinions here ...

I don't order very much ammunition for delivery, and I don't buy all that much anyway. However, I did have a case delivered by UPS the other day, and the driver's comment was "you haven't ordered ammunition for quite awhile ...".

As a matter of fact, I would estimate I last had ammo delivered by UPS between 9 and 12 months ago.

In the back of my mind, I recall a story that the Branch Davidians were investigated after a tip from UPS.

Now, we don't have a church here, and we don't have anything illegal going on. And that driver's comments were probably a non-issue.

Still, I found it interesting that the driver would have any idea as to when I last ordered ammunition for delivery by UPS.

Silly question? Your thoughts?

Regards from AZ

Coronach

Probably because it strained his back getting all of your &^%$#@ed ammo into his Big Brown Truck last time, thats why. :D

Mike

Ed Brunner

Adjusting my tinfoil hat, I would be willing to believe that our government in its infinite wisdom might have asked UPS and others for such info.

Some civil servant could have already received a bonus for that great idea.

Stranger things have happened.

lonegunman

I would say that ammo deliveries stick out in the minds of deliveries because they are heavy and have cool warning labels on the side indicating they may be flammable, explosive, etc.

I wouldnt get too worried about it at all... my UPS man asked me about a month ago how I liked my Gateway I had ordered over a year ago.

I have ordered a whole heap o' cartridges delivered by UPS, and so far I havent been attacked by the govt.

Zundfolge

My guess is that the driver in question rarely delivers ammo, so that's why he remembered your ammo delivery.

Do UPS guys have to fill out any special paperwork when delivering ammo? if so that might also contribute to his remembering you.

nwgunman

Ed: My neighbors dog told me that tin foil hats don't work. But otherwise, yeah, I can can see getting ratted out by UPS. Maybe not joe regular carrier, but them boys at the top. Actually, I'm kinda hoping that they DO tell the feral gubbamint about all that ammo, etc that comes to my house. Maybe, just maybe, they'll think: "Do we REALLY want to go in there?"....!!! Stay safe.

mrat

Jeff,
This brings up something I have thought about lately. I have been purchasing my ammo lately through the internet since it is so much cheaper. I was thinking that the UPS guy has probably figured out I have guns. I don't like anybody knowing I have a bunch of guns even though they are locked up in big safes that weigh about 500 pounds empty). I don't think worrying about this qualifies me for the tin foil club. Especially since it has been well publicized that a few UPS guys were stealing guns.

K80Geoff

UPS & ammo

I'll find out for sure tomorrow. I am expecting a delivery of ammo totaling 78lbs! The driver must hate me:D

Guess I'm on another list:rolleyes:

Geoff Ross

Redlg155

Especially since it has been well publicized that a few UPS guys were stealing guns.

I seriously doubt that many complete weapons get "stolen" from UPS. That is merely justification for their new policies to overcharge and identify handgun users. If weapons were routinely stolen from UPS, they would have some serious insurance claims problems as well as suffering some scrutiny or investigation by the Federal Govt.

Memory is a strange thing sometimes. I can't tell you how many times I've been to a range and seen a person who used to shoot but hasn't been back in ages, or even someone I only saw shoot once, and can remember almost exactly what weapon they were shooting. I'm sure many of us are the same way and come up to an old buddy and say.."Hey, what happened to that USP you used to shoot?"

If we can remember that, I'm sure the UPS guy remembers who he delivers ammo to from time to time.

Either way, if he remembers you, you decrease the possibility that he will screw up your delivery. There should be no reason you don't get timely deliveries now!:D

And with the tinfoil....I can't remember. Shiny side in or out?

Good Shooting
RED

Jim V

I used to have a UPS driver that would stop and talk for a while after his delivery. Got to be sorta friends. If I was not home he'd make sure the delivery was in the garage or, at least, out of site. Ammo always went into the garage. And he never failed to ask me if I found the last delivery if I was not home when it was made.

You know the UPS guy takes notice when he asks you if the prices you are paying are really that much better than the ammo he buys.

Ammo is heavy and concentrated, so it sticks out very well. My wife worked for UPS. It was not long before she knew what was contained in a lot of the boxes being shipped just by the company name. Computers, ammo, guns, bricks (we have a local brick company, Acme, that UPSes out samples), and such are all very easy to spot.

It doesn't help when the side of the boxes says Fiocchi, Speer Centerfire Ammunition, Federal Ammunition, etc. So much for plain brown wrappers.

Raistlin

I always order from ammoman.com, and since they don't put any type of warning labels on their boxes, the UPS guy has no clue. He just knows it's a small box that's rather heavy, and has an interesting rattle...

Besides, I always have it delivered to my wife at her office. :D

Mikul

I know someone who recently had so much ammunition delivered to his house that the weight of the container bent the hydrolic back end of the truck (the ammo fell top first onto the asphalt).

Don't worry. You're waaaay down on the list from this guy.

scud

Now, we don't have a church here, and we don't have anything illegal going on.

Anyone see the irony of this statement and how it is totally logical at this point in time concerning the idea of criminal by the US.gov ?

Any or all of the above could be the case, especially the dog saying that tin foil doesn't work. However when my neighbors dog told me that I knew it was only because he was a operative working for Fidel Castro and trying to further his plan for world domination.

Dean Speir

No so, I'm afraid…

Redlg155 opines:
I seriously doubt that many complete weapons get "stolen" from UPS.
And you would be mistaken… happens all the time, usually from the inside. Big such circumstance in the Maryland/D.C. locale several years back, and before that in the Atlanta area, targeting out-going Glocks.

In one locally high profile instance back in the mid-'80s, two UPS drivers/Miami Vice fans boosted some SPAS-12s intended for a Long Island gun store, and got away with it so easily, they did some more such stuff later on. They got caught only after one of their ex-girlfriends ratted'em out. Don't know if either did any jail time, but they were fired, and one of them wound up as my FedEx driver for a time! 'Struth!

Ledbetter

"Careful, that's heavy."

Grettings,

I am on a first-name basis with my UPS man because of all the ammo and parts deliveries. It's cool because he makes sure I don't miss a delivery.

I struck up a conversation or two with him and let him know where I found the best ammo deals. He talks about his S&W in .40.:barf:

Ledbetter

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Dean, I'm not at all surprised. Part of it is that federal laws have made it almost impossible to determine the background of prospective employees; another reason is the shortage of (hopefully) competent employees.

Did you see the news article about the Washington, D.C., PD? They had employed officers who had felony convictions--not just arrests--in their backgrounds! And a startlingly high percentage had convictions for misdemeanors...

Art