Upcoming deer season?

deanf

Savage Model 99C in .308 Win. Have been using the Winchester Silvertip 180 grain, but can't find it anymore. Heard rumor that it's been discontinued. Anybody know about that?

Thinking about replacing that round (if I have to) with the Federal Premium High Energy 180 gr bear claw or partition bullet.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Paul B.

Deanf. I don't know about the .300 Savage round being discontinued, but several months back I posted somewhere, that Olin Corp. (Owners of the Winchester name) dropped quite a few rounds from their inventory. The 7x57 Mauser, .358 Win. and .458 Win. Mag. among them. Yes! Right! Even the mighty .458 has bitten the Olin dust. They have also discontinued about 7 or 8 of their ball powder line, including the relatively new WMR. I can remember these, because I shoot two of the above mentioned rounds, and Use the .458 brass to make up a wildcat round I play with. (.375x338 Mag. It's easier to form from .458 brass.)
I sent Winchester an E-mail complaining about this matter, and they said that this ammo would be produced on a "seasonal" basis and your dealer could order it from two of their distributors. I may still have the addresses in my files, but am not sure. E-mail me and I'll try to find them, if you want them.
Paul B.

Rob Pincus

I'll be using a lot of weapons this year, as usual. Last year I took deer or hog with at least 5 different weapons. This year, I may double that. I am including Hog in this, since I often go on hunts that allow me to take both at the same time.
I am starting early next week in SC (see other topic) and should go strong on Whitetail until the end of Jan. Several hunts I go on are charity/promtional deals where the meat is donated to local programs which distribute the meat to those who need it. I will be hunting in at least 6 different states.

I may not get a chance to take game with all of these, but I intend to give it a good college try:

Handguns:
.460 Rowland 1911
S&W 629 Power Port .44 mag (Winchester Partition Gold)
10mm RT Glock 20 (Winchester SilverTips)

Shotguns:
Benelli M1 (Brenneke Slugs)
Rem 870 (leftover Activ Slugs)

Rifle:
Blaser R-93 7mm mag (Ballistic Silver Tips)
Steyr Scout .308 (BSTs or Failsafes, as appropriate)

Muzzleloader:
Knight DISC rifle

Crossbow:
165 lb. Horton Hunter XL

Knife: (for hogs ;))
Custom blade by Chuck Stapel, approx 8".

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Gee, Rob, why don't you find a tree limb, wait for a deer, and drop down on him with your knife?

According to Mr. Burroughs, Tarzan did it this way... :)

As usual, Art