Ugh, 45 frustration.

chris in va

First 45 was a 220. Didn't care for it much...too thin, limited capacity, awful DA pull.

Next was a Witness...yikes.

Then came the 21sf and it wasn't horrible but I couldn't get used to the grip angle and trigger. Loved the bore axis though.

Now I have my 'dream gun', CZ 97b. Unfortunately I can't hit as well with it as my fantastic P01. Controls are a bit hard to reach.

Look, I'm not against polymer, but it MUST have a low bore axis and better trigger than the Glock has. FN? HK?

EDIT: never warmed up to 1911's, sorry.

Last edited:

highpower3006

Just break down and get a 1911. Pure .45 auto goodness.

IMG_1449-XL.jpg

WVsig

FN45 would be my choice. I have owned a HK45 and it is not worth the money you pay for it. Horrible DA trigger IMHO. The FN is better for 50% less money.

chris in va

It's not that I couldn't hit anything due to the G21 trigger, it's just the mush factor that gave me problems. The grip angle was throwing my actual aim off. Eyes closed point shooting tests had me doing headshots instead of COM. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but still.

The new Sig 45 coming out soon sounds interesting but we all know how jacked up those prices are.

Hawg

The grip angle was throwing my actual aim off. Eyes closed point shooting tests had me doing headshots instead of COM.

That was my experience with Glock also.

kymarkh

I would think that the 97b would be a very accurate .45 at the range.

I really like my HK45c LEM. Plenty accurate and fairly compact and lightweight for a .45, I consider it one of the premier .45 carry guns available at this time. That said I am more accurate at the range punching paper trying to shoot small groups with my DW PMDP. I just don't like lugging it around so it stays in the safe most of the time. As already mentioned HK's are not exactly known for their triggers but they are reliable to a fault.

A few you might want to try are the FN, Ruger or one of the various Springfield XD 45's.

AndyWest

But when you start talking trigger kits, anything's fair game again. You've probably shot more G21SF than I, but my smith significantly improved mine with a thorough polishing and a lighter, shorter trigger. Much less mush, which I think of as softness :) Though I guess that won't fix your grip angle dislike....

warningshot

I don't see how another .45acp Brand is going to work when a Sig 220 and Glock 21 isn't good enough.

Tell me more about taking pistol shots with your eyes closed and then we make sense of proper handgun selection.

Sparks1957

I don't see how another .45acp Brand is going to work when a Sig 220 and Glock 21 isn't good enough

I'm inclined to agree with the above... sounds like the OP might be looking for a mythical gun.

bitttorrrent

Started similar quest without going to a 1911. Love the gun, but just looking for higher capacity.

Anyway, did you try a xdm 5.25? Handled at the LGS and did really like the feel and is 13 capacity I think.

They also had a sig 220 in s.s. with wood grips that was beautiful! Only 300 more than the xd.

And what about this new sig 227? Anyone know about it. Is it worth waiting for?

I don't see how another .45acp Brand is going to work when a Sig 220 and Glock 21 isn't good enough.

Tell me more about taking pistol shots with your eyes closed and then we make sense of proper handgun selection.

A lot of good comments here. This one is one of the best. Along with the 1911 ones.

Honestly. A 1911 trigger is one of the worlds greatest in my opinion. Straight back and it goes bang.

Carry and extra mag. They're thin single stacks.

SIG 1911 XO - Custom SA Mil-Spec 1911 - Colt Golf Cup Trophy 1911 - Colt Series 70 1911 - SIG P226 e2 - BHP Stainless - BHP Blue - W. PPQ - Glock 17,34,19,21,22 - S&W M19-4 - Hk USP 40

Venom1956

Maybe double stack .45s are not for you? They are rather bulky and have large grips.

I'd say try the HK, FN, and the XDm. Other then that... :confused: stick with 9s and 40s?

Dashunde

I bought my G21 knowing that if I didnt like it I would swap it out for a XDm 45... Gleen from that whatever you can.

dgludwig

What do you want the pistol for? Range/target shooting duties; house self-defense; carrying concealed; hunting? Hard to make an intelligent recommendation until the purpose for the pistol is defined.