U.S. House passes restrictions on First Amendment, Senate to vote next week

dwc1973

to Ejh28 - tho opening post was only a (very well done, very Orson Wells) hypothetical created by TexasSeaRay. i didn't realize this until someone kindly pointed this out to me as well.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
This might not be as far fetched as TSR has made it out to be.

How many years have we been laboring against the "collective rights" theory of the 2A?

Now take a good look at Art. I, Section 8 clause 1:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
Notice the part I underlined? There is a school of thought that says all of the enumerated powers that follows this clause (except clause 18), are merely examples/suggestions of the types of powers that Congress has. This list is thus not exclusive nor exhaustive.

Clause 18 says:
To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
If one takes clause 1 and clause 18 as the pre-eminent power, then there is nothing that limits the Congress.

I don't buy this theory, as it makes a mockery of limited government. However, there are many that do think this is the way the Feds should be run. As if this wasn't enough, there have been many times in the past that the Congress has done just that: Used the (so-called) General Welfare clause to pass any and all legislation it deems to be of national import.

And the Court has upheld this legislation!

Just thought I would add to the thread, and hopefully, make some of you think.

BillCA

Texas - Well done! Well written, just like the typical AP news story - just enough information to define the story without any real meat behind it. :D

My purpose, when I created the poll thread you linked to, was to find out what people's opinions were regarding limitations that would likely pass a constitutional challenge (in a positive post-Heller decision that blows the lid off).

I think you did a great job of juxtiposing the constitutional rights and limitations we face today.

And I'm soooooooo glad it wasn't a real news story!

TexasSeaRay

BillCA said:
I think you did a great job of juxtiposing the constitutional rights and limitations we face today.

And I'm soooooooo glad it wasn't a real news story!

Yet.

But if it ever does happen, we know from your poll that a good number of folks around these parts will not be able to e-mail DHS quick enough to get their "newspaper permit."

THAT scares me even more than the thought that it could've been a real news story.

Jeff

Ejh28

Well thank you for pointing that out to me! I was at work reading it quickly, and didn't pick up on that.

Still kind of scary that something like that could come to pass, and if the next election doesn't fair well, we may very well be looking at something like this. . .

RedneckFur

I'll congradulate you on a well written story as soon as my heart stops pounding. For a few miniutes I thought that it was all real and I was having a panic attack.

44 AMP

Staff
Mark Twain

A friend has a small quote posted on his wall;

"If you do not read the newspaper you are uninformed.

If you do read the mewspaper, you are misinformed."

- Mark Twain

I don't know if Twain actually said it, but it sounds like something he would say.

The story had me a bit concerned, not so much for the restriction on getting a paper (I don't get them anyway - see the quote), but for the whole national database thing, for printed news, cable TV, Internet?, etc. Especially the part about all citizens having to be approved, but foreign nationals not. That part was especially well done, as it clearly illustrates the idiocy of the control freaks who would want a law "to keep terrorists from getting news" and yet at the same time writing into the law the means for terrorists to get news, without having to be checked, or in the proposed database!

Excellent story, realistic and terrifying. And sadly, not nearly as far fetched as some might think.