U.S. House passes restrictions on First Amendment, Senate to vote next week

TexasSeaRay

House passes restrictions on First Amendment, Senate expected to approve measures.

By Marilyn Smith

WASHINGTON DC (Reuters) - In a highly unusual and sure to be controversial move, the House of Reprsentatives voted in the late hours Saturday to place restrictions on the First Amendment. Senior aides in the U.S. Senate expect the Senate to approve the measures before the end of the year.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity, one U.S. Representative told Reuters that the restrictions voted on were almost universally agreed upon by his fellow members in the House. "Based on information we've been receiving from the FBI and overseas intelligence sources, we believe that going into the elections next year, America's enemies will use our 'freedom of the press' to conspire more attacks against innocent civilians. Our bill is intended to stop that dead in its tracks."

HR2213 was passed overwhelmingly just minutes after midnight. The bill places restrictions on what kind of access Americans will have to virtually all measures of news, opinion gathering and discussions here in the United States. The bill only affects citizens and those with legal resident status. It does not affect foreign visitors, dignitaries or embassies.

Sure to be highly controversial and almost guaranteed to be challenged in the federal courts, HR2213 will require that all U.S. citizens and legal residents be required to give proof of identity before purchasing newspapers, news magazines or any other sort of printed news materials. The bill does not differentiate between local community-based media and national media.

For electronic media, the bill requires that cable and satellite TV providers screen all customers and compile a database that will be safeguarded by a new division within the Department of Homeland Security. The database will be crosschecked with databases compiled by the FBI, Defense Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency. Individuals or citizens whose profile makes them suspect to sympathizing or supporting terrorist actions will be interviewed by the agents from either DHS or FBI. If cleared, the individual is free to continue with their normal cable services. If not cleared, access to news channels will be denied.

The electronic media restrictions are expected to begin by the end of January 2008. The restrictions on broadcast and printed media are expected to take longer to be fully enacted. The House is hoping for voluntary compliance initially, but DHS is prepared to begin witholding federal funds from any states who resist or challenge the bill. House leaders are drafting communications to all fifty governors explaining the bill.

For printed media, the bill calls for all publications to eventually move to a subscriber-only basis by 2009. Until then, those who wish to buy printed media such as newspapers, news magazines, tabloids or any other forms of printed news will simply fill out a brief background information form online. Homeland Security officials expect the background approval to take no longer than ninety minutes. At the completion, if the applicant passes, a PDF e-mail is sent containing a barcode and the applicant's name and social security number. The purchaser presents this small, driver's license size approval ID to the retailer who in turn scans it at the register.

Civil libertarians who only discovered the bill and its passage hours ago are furious. "What's next, a background check for which church or snyagogue someone wants to attend or tithe to?" asked Rudolph Heitzman of the Baltimore American Civil Liberties Union. "I wonder what our Founding Fathers would have to say about this," Heitzman added, noting that "but according to this ridiculous, unconstitutional bill, we'd need a background check first in order to read or hear what our founders would have to say." Heitzman promised an immeidate lawsuit and filing in U.S. District Court first thing next week.

Another House source told Reuters that restrictions on the Constitution and Bill of Rights are nothing new. "We've been making common sense restrictions and changes to the Bill of Rights for the last sixty years," the source who wished to not be identified pointed out. "Very few people complained when we enacted seizure laws to help fight organized crime. A few did initially, but I think they've grown to accept that drastic times require drastic measures."

in the recent years since the World Trade Center attacks, polls conducted by numerous researchers indicated that most Americans were willing to take up increased restrictions on personal liberties and privileges if it meant making things harder for terrorists and criminals. House sources point to this data as the inevitable result of last night's passage of HR2213.

"Americans are tired of living in fear," the House source stated. "We know that our enemies often get much of their information from media sources. In order to safeguard against that, we need to know who is reading what and then learn more about them. Is it a Herculean task? Of course it is, but if you're not a criminal or a terrorist, you have nothing to worry about."

# # # # #

I got the idea for this story based upon this poll, taken right here at TFL. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271838

Amazing that around half or more of the respondents have no problem with restrictions on Constitutionally guaranteed rights. So how would you feel about having to have a national ID card in order to buy a newspaper, subscribe to any sort of news/informational publication and know that your television viewing is being monitored and recorded "all in the interest of national security?"

For me, that thought is scary as hell. But I guess some of you don't mind at all.

Jeff

Last edited:

Pat H

Proposed legislation in the US House of Representatives is a sad state of affairs.

Last edited:

dwc1973

uhh, i am neither a criminal or a terrorist....
and i have alot to worry about if this bill passes....
i think everyone of us has alot to worry about if this should pass...
this is insane....
its getting out of hand....

p.s. - they never polled me.

HarrySchell

The inert, the afraid and the dull will give the rest of us to the evil.

Glad this was a "joke"...scary stuff to be sure.

dwc1973

....now that i'm a bit more composed....that was an extremely frightening vision. i hope it will never, ever, ever, ever come down to that day. to TSR, that was very well done....and you are sick (joke)....straight out of the sanitarium (joke)....

dwc1973

i hope this will not be a case of thread veer and apologize if it is deemed to be but you do know that a large cable/internet provider has already admitted to "limiting" a users bandwidth. its a small step in that direction.

Garand Illusion

Speech IS regulated in this country. Libel, fraud, causing panic (yelling fire in a crowded theater) are all illegal.

The 2nd amendment is no different than all the rest. However Heller turns out, reasonable laws are going to be allowed. The only question is what level of scrutiny those laws will have to pass.

Right now ... 2nd amendment or not ... there's no level of scrutiny whatsoever. i.e. the Chicago gun ban, DC gun ban, and all the various laws in the different 50 states.

PT111

i hope this will not be a case of thread veer and apologize if it is deemed to be but you do know that a large cable/internet provider has already admitted to "limiting" a users bandwidth. its a small step in that direction.

I am not exactly sure what you are refering to but bandwidth limiting is a fairly common practice especially among schools and colleges.

miboso

Speech IS regulated in this country
Absolutely correct, and as it should be, unless CONGRESS MAKES A LAW. That would be unconstitutional. Local regulations and laws pass constitutional muster, for speech, not for arms.
Both the first and second are (or would be if we followed the Constitution) absolute.
1st - Congress <absolutely> shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech....
2nd - A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, <absolutely> shall not be infringed.

Notice in the 2nd that there is no limiting to Congress only as being unable to infringe the right to keep and bear arms.

So, my town being being able to restrict me from shouting FIRE in a crowded theater (absent an actual fire) and not being able to restrict me from keeping and bearing arms is NOT contradictory to the constitution.

Of course, if we complicate things enough, we can get whatever meaning we want.

38splfan

Scary.

Wow:eek:
That really caught me off guard.
May have to wipe my heinie now:D

Food for thought, for sure, and unfortunately enough something we my look for in the fairly near future.

Story or not, the slippery slope seems to be getting steeper by the day.:(

dwc1973

to pt111 - it means that this provider has the technology to monitor and deny your access to the internet at their discretion in already in place. it has already used said practice on p2p users at their discretion without notifying said p2p users. they would and will prohibit your ability to share/exchange information. this technology does not have to be reserved for p2p users either.

PT111

to pt111 - it means that this provider has the technology to monitor and deny your access to the internet at their discretion in already in place. it has already used said practice on p2p users at their discretion without notifying said p2p users. they would and will prohibit your ability to share/exchange information. this technology does not have to be reserved for p2p users either.

I know all about that and as soon as the equpment is delivered I will also be doing that for our college. There is nothing illegal about it although there are a lot of complaints. However the vast majority of p2p use does involve illegal activities.

dwc1973

to pt111 - i won't argue with you on screening content within the confines of the classroom. my main concern is the restriction imposed by this provider to its customers. it is a very broad stroke to just state that most p2p users are using this capability for illegal purposes and it is an even broader stroke by the provider to limit any p2p/web user at any time based on that assumption for it restricts all of its customers. this restriction is solely based on their discretion. not yours. not mine. and when does their discretion become their indescretion?

this limitation can apply to more than just music my friend. they could apply it to alternative free press sources. they could apply it to this very forum. formats. the free exchange of information. video clips. anything and everything over the web. it is in effect a backdoor to suppressing a free internet.

Ejh28

Well. Just wow. And some people think that America is doing just fine.

If this bill passes, we need to recall every single person that voted on it. This is crazy!