Two overweight, middle aged guys on retention, disarms, and basic defenses

dayman

Bending your wrist and firing is possible - I don't think anyone's disputing that.
Any movement a human is capable of making is possible to counter, it's just usually they don't.

I'm not a martial arts expert by any means, but even I've had enough training to know that people never react very quickly when you surprise them. The more training you get, the quicker you can react, but most of the time you can count on a second or so - which is a lot of time in a fight.

But, if Jet Li ever has a gun on me, I'll probably just reach for the sky.

MLeake

Experiment will have to wait until next weekend. Loaded and stacked around 250 hay bales when my back said, "No mas!"

JERRYS.

being in l.e. I can say that few cops actually practice some of these basic moves. even if youre not a cop this stuff is good to practice. like in the videos, start slow to learn the mechanics. speed will come later.

Dragline45

The thing of it is, while there are no guarantees in life, there are some very basic movements that can really improve one's odds. They don't require one to be young, strong, or an athlete - though all of those factors could be useful.

+1 to this. I wrestled a couple years back when I was in high school and the one thing I took out of it was that technique trumps size. I have seen some small 140lb wrestlers take down guys that outweighed them by 50lb's like it was nothing. Sure size and strength helps, but if you don't know how to use it, it only helps so much.