Turning a Closet into a Vault

a1abdj

Vault doors can be purchased through safe and vault companies listed in your local yellowpages.

A few insights:

"Vault Doors" built by gun safe companies are not vault doors. They look like vault doors, but do not offer any real fire or burglary protection. You could buy a commercial steel door, and be better off.

These types of doors do come in handy when dealing with existing construction, or decor reasons.

Real vault doors can be very heavy. If you are planning on doing something like this, it should be in the preconstruction phase. Once a house goes up, it becomes much more expensive to move a door inside. It is a lot easier to set the door with a crane, even if it is a lighter door. Although a gun safe company's door may weigh 1,000 pounds, a real vault door can easily weigh 8,000 pounds.

Do not buy vault doors on E-bay unless you know a heck of a lot about vault doors. Many of these doors are sold without frames which makes them useless. Many are missing parts. Also, many of these doors must be demo'd out of their present location, rigged, and moved across reinforced floors to be shipped. I have had many calls from people who have gotten a "steal" on a vault door, just to get a $10,000 quote to remove it.

Bender711

Another, possibly cheaper solution would be to not make your intentions obvious. Perhaps create a secret compartment in the existing closet that wont be noticeable to some one that dosen't already know its there.

wachtelhund1

"Vault Doors" built by gun safe companies are not vault doors. They look like vault doors, but do not offer any real fire or burglary protection. You could buy a commercial steel door, and be better off.

alabdj, Would you have any recommendations. I tried to google for commerical steel doors yesterday and did not come up with anytime that looked suitable.

a1abdj

You may have to contact a local commercial door dealer. They come in a wide variety: Hollow and solid, fire rated, pressure rated (hurricane doors).

I did a panic room job last year, where the plans used a FEMA rated hurricane door with multi point lock. It ran around $1,500. It was a heavy steel frame and door which could withstand a 2x4 being shot at it with hurricane force winds.

sparkysteve

We had this conversation at work last week.

Two layers of 5/8" drywall gives you a 2 hour fire rating. Home Depot sells fire rated doors. They look like a standard entry door. Just get a good deadbolt, and set it to swing in so the hinges aren't exposed. I like the chain link fence idea for theft proofing. Maybe a couple layers of plywood or OSB would work too. Or that dark grey tile-backer board. That stuff's hard as a rock.

skeeter1

IIRC, my safe came with a recommendation to place it inside a closet and bolt it to the wall studs and floor. Probably a good idea, but I haven't done that. It's probably heavy enough that anyone is going to have a hard time getting it out of here, and if I ever need to move, well, those big burly movers will have to do that for me.

Yeah, just get yourself a safe and keep it in the living space part of the house.