Tumbler Gurus Needed

Here's what I use in my tumbler--I've found these work BETTER than dryer sheets. They help keep the media cleaner, keep the dust down, but they also help POLISH the brass.

Well, I was convinced to try used dryer sheets and was happy with the results. I don't think trying those would hurt.

Only thing is, used dryer sheets are free, those rags aren't. But, if they perform better, I'll grab a box. Besides, like you said, I can use them in my shop....

TatersDad81

I tried the dryer sheets the other day. Ran 6 2x2 squares ~45 min. They looked like a used solvent patch through the bore of a smoke-pole. I guess if they were that dirty, they are removing the soot etc from the media.

BigV

I paid $17.99 for my first 5# of RCBS ($3.60 a pound) walnut media, but quickly learned that 10 dry pounds of “Zilla” ground English walnut shells at Pet Smart sells for $10.99 a bag ($1.10 a pound). I don’t know where the walnuts come from, but there ground, processed and packaged in the USA. The media size is a bit larger, but it works just as well and soooo much cheaper!

TexasSeaRay

BigV,

I stumbled upon that Zilla stuff myself--and am buying it by the truckload. Great stuff with a LONG tumbler life. So far, it's the best at really cleaning and polishing the brass when you put in a capful of NuFinish and a thimble of mineral spirits. I mean, the brass comes out looking like new.

It's not unusual for once-fired brass to be just as shiny on the inside as the outside.

And you're right--at a dollar a pound . . . can't be beat.

Jeff