True cost of reloading

PBjafa

Cost was what was stopping me for many years. The set up cost would have got me the same amount of ammo that I had used in the previous 12 years.

However - you can in the worst case senario sell your reloading gear and get most of your money back.
Trying to sell your fired ammo isn't as easy. ;)

snuffy

reloading.jpg if any one wants this excel spread sheet (borrowed from thr maybe? i dunno) emai/pm me ill be happy to email it to you.

kinda neat

I have that spreadsheet, it was made by a guy over on glock talk by the handle SIGnificant. He put the link on the reloading forum there, invited everyone to download it free. It also has a means of printing loading labels for you ammo boxes.

I'll send it to anyone who provides their email to me as well.

seasterl

Custom loading is a hobby within a hobby (unless you're sponsored and it's your job!). The best thing about loading, besides saving some money, is that you have all the wonderful bullets from which to choose. Otherwise, imagine going down to your local Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart, or over-priced gun shop and expecting to get the exact bullet you want in a factory cartridge. The selections have improved in recent years, but it's still far from extracting the best and most out of the gun. Competition shooters and serious target shooters need custom loads. Hunters can really benefit from custom loads for humane kills. Nice guns deserve custom loads in them. Worn-out guns also deserve custom loads. Ladies with CCW in their purse can get by with Federal Hydra-Shocks (or equivalent)!

Foxbat

Saving... shmeiving... I would be reloading if it actually cost me, just because I enjoy the process and the verity and freedom in what I can get made - I am not stuck with two kinds of ammo I can locally buy. I constantly experiment, change and adjust the loads, bullets, etc. I just love the machinery and the result.

Having said that... considering how much I shoot, my saving is about $1000 a month. That more than pays for a brand spanking new Dillon 650 with an extra caliber change.

Need I say more?

Time? I feel funny even talking about it. Takes 5-6 minutes to load 100 rounds. It takes more time to walk downstairs, look around, think of this and that... the actual loading takes virtually no time at all.

Last edited:

DWARREN123

Don't really care about the cost anymore, it's a hobby and hobbies cost money. I have fun making good ammo for my guns so I am happy!

miker84

I'm about to start reloading and I'm looking at it as a hobby that can have some benefits. I like knowing how things work, plus reloading/handloading may become one of those "lost arts". I think it almost did become a lost art until the recent presidential election.:D

I don't want to use cost savings as the justification. If I someday break even on my ammo, that would be nice. At least while I'm trying to break even, I can have consistent. quality ammunition and learn a hobby that I can enjoy for many years.

mongoose33

My time isn't worth anything. So, reloading saves me money. Honestly, I get to prep brass at work, just swaged some 500 military crimped .223 tonight alone, so I'm getting paid to reload.

I'm reloading .45 for 13.3 cents per round. It costs me 31.6 cents per round to buy WWB in .45.

That's a savings of...drum roll...18.3 cents per round.

I can load, conservatively, 300 rounds per hour on my LNL. I can go faster, but I'm about quality first, speed second.

If you multiply 300 time 18.3 cents savings per round, you get $54.90.

So, in other words, my time isn't worth nothing--it's worth $54.90 per hour loading .45.

For most people, that's not a bad part-time job.

I don't do quite as well loading 9mm. Costs me 23.17 per round to buy WWB 9mm. Costs me almost exactly 10 cents to load a 9mm round, or a savings of 13.17 cents per round. Times 300 rounds per hour, my time is worth over $39 per hour loading 9mm.

I save about 23.66 cents per round loading .223, but I can't do it as fast as my pistol rounds, so I'm probably around $35 per hour.

How many people have a hobby that pays them in excess of $30, $40, even $50 per hour? :)

Crosshair

How many people have a hobby that pays them in excess of $30, $40, even $50 per hour?
and as I pointed out before, if that was a part time job you would have to factor in 15% Social security taxes, then medicare, and income taxes. Meaning your "income" is even greater.:cool:

Foxbat

It is interesting that often you hear people say: "So you will get ammo cheaper, but you will shoot more, so there will be no saving!"

Well, to me being able to shoot more is a blessing!

Now, guys, of course if you shoot a box per week, then you most likely not too interested in anything associated with guns and ammo, and reloading is most likely not for you.

bignz

Foxbat,

I'm glad you find that "interesting" but the logic is sound. At the end of the year you will likely have shot more, but spent around the same. That is awesome and I will say that reloading lets me shoot more. What I will not say is that reloading saves me money. My wife, for instance, certainly understands the difference. It doesn't matter to her how much I shoot but it does matter how much money we have left for her to do this and that and reloading has not improved her situation.

I would bet a significant sum that people who shoot 1 box (or say 50 rounds) a week shoot more than 99.8 percent of Americans. And I know plenty such people who are VERY interested in guns and ammo, and who's opinion of those topics I value greatly.

It seems both inaccurate and frankly mean spirited to suggest that people aren't real enthusiasts unless they shoot over some amount. The more this sport/hobby is populated with people who divide shooters into real and pretenders (or however you want describe it) and treat them as such (and I have seen these sorts who laugh at the new/seldom shooter or more likely ridicule them once they leave) the harder it will be to get new people interested. And then we will CERTAINLY NOT be saving money.

Foxbat

I think you got way too emotional responding... read more carefully what I said. "Interesting" referred to those who recommend against reloading based on that criteria. Otherwise - I said shooting more is blessing... you said shooting more is blessing...

Now, YOU introduced the word "pretenders", completely uncalled for. Not being too interested in a hobby does not make one a pretender, so it seem it is you, not me, who is building a divide.

I stand by what I said - someone shooting very little is not too interested in the hobby. I am not interested in thousands of things, nothing wrong with that.

Claude Clay

i shoot more and spend less.

i also shoot more of what i like cause i make it that way.

an hour last nite and i made
--100 230gr lrn @ 4.5 bullseye for a friends commander. feeds easy, shoots soft
--100 200gr lsw @ 4.7 bullseye makes a slightly hot round for the 1911's
--200 124gr lrn @ 4.3 Bullseye some for my friends smg and the rest for the p-7

the set-up costs can be mostly recouped when you sell the equipment years down the road but i factor in 1 cent per round as 'overhead'.
the 400 rounds 'cost' me $50.00. Williams reloads a favorite in my area which is loaded light, would have cost with tax about $138.00.
the math seems pretty simple to me.

Farmland

To be honest I was thinking just dollars and cents on this topic. Sure I love the hobby of reloading and my wife thinks I would reload anything even if I don't have a gun to shoot them with. To tell the truth she is right, I just love making ammunition.

So lets forget about the fun, time, accuracy, load development and the rest and just look at the dollar and cents.

I'm going to shoot what I am going to shoot, reloading really doesn't let me shoot any more than if I didn't. I have to practice and I'm going to shoot the same amount either way.

So I sat down to try and see from this view point how much money I was saving shooting reloads over other types of ammunition. The other options were re-manufactured, bulk purchase etc.

At the best that I can tell reloading does offer a savings at least around 30% and in some cases close to 50%.

I think we can agree that everyone has a different interest in guns and ammunition. I do understand that each of us has a different interest and purpose in reloading too. Some of us will have an unlimited budget while the next person may have trouble coming up with money for one of those Lee hand loaders devices. Reloading reduces my cost so that I can practice on a weekly basis. Reloading for others may mean they can fire a few more boxes each month while others may develop a few boxes of the best hunting ammunition.

Me I'm just trying to see and explore the best way to keep my ammunition prices in check.

Foxbat

I think your 30-50% figures are WAY too pessimistic. Of course much depends on the caliber, but most of the time I am in the 70% saving zone.

As I mentioned before, I save close to $1000 each month.

Jector

LOL,
I started reloading a couple weeks ago... got a Hornady Pro-Jector to use from a friend that got it second hand but never reloaded. Came with 44 Mag set up, I don't have a 44 mag, Sooo... go shoppin'. I've spent ~$600 setting up ~4 calibers and have loaded about 300 rounds. So, $600 divided by 300 rounds = $2.00 per round for the first 300 (a little pricey for 45's and 38's but hey, they're custom loads right?). The good news it from here on out they will be WAYYY cheaper! (new math) ;)

Blue

Cost of Reloading?

I know my cost per round, typically, is less than factory ammo. But really, I don't care - I just love reloading. I can't read enough or learn enough about it. I am in the mode now of looking to purchase weapons in calibers I don't have - just to get set up and go throught the "find a load that works for this one" routine. Reload 150-200 rounde per day on loading days and at the range at least 2 days a week. Can't get enough!

I keep buying more stuff all the time when I see something new. I guess I am addicted.

Last edited:

Blue

Cost basis for reloads

I have always kept a spreadsheet for what I have spent which includes part numbers and quantities of expendables (Powder,Primers, Bullets, Brass).( But intangible cost of case prep not included)

It automatically updates the cost of production in two ways - total per round cost each and also cost per each in each category (2506,3006,45acp,9mm, etc.)

Bottom line - to date:

Overall cost savings vs factory loads (updated on each purchase and normalized as to date purchased and dollar "actual value" in purchasing power with analysis of variance quantifiers and standard deviation normalization adjustments.

Overall, 18 % less than factory up to 100 rounds per category. Up to 200 22 %, and then to 500 rounds 29%, this is normalized total % for all rifle and pistol.

Individually, but understand it is for my individual choices of bullet, primer and powder, 45 ACP (Most loaded) 42% less than factory, 44 Mag 40% less, 2506 = 32% (use expensive brass), 3006 =35% less(expensive brass), 9mil = 50% less, 308 = 22% less(expensive brass), 243= 31% less, 6.5xx = 16% less, . Varies with number of loads per case. (just another mutually dependent variable)

Last edited:
Your time might be worth money but unless you're giving up time that would otherwise be used making money in order to reload then it's pretty tough to say that it's costing you anything. Missing a baseball game on tv is not exactly a monetary "cost".

Actually, unless you really enjoy reloading, it is a very real QOL (quality of life) cost. Do you enjoy grubbing for brass? Do you enjoy popping primers and cleaning primer pockets. Do you enjoy resizing, etc. Some people really do enjoy it. Some don't. Personally, I have better things to do with my life.

So when we speak of true costs, for some those true costs can be much higher than just the monetary aspect. For others, it will be lower.