Trigger Types - What's your favorite?

Axel357

In general, can't beat a nicely tuned 4lb SA on a 1911.

For carry, I like a DA/SA. I prefer the long and heavy first pull as a "safety".

MuthaGoose

what evan said, with triggers that run around 5-7 pounds of pressure, and travel around 1/2 inch to break (M&P, Glock, XD, etc). I prefer "moderate" trigger types that aren't as long and hard as a traditional DAO but also not as short and light as a 1911.

Don't really prefer controls beyond the slide stop and mag release. I find it's just more stuff to have to train with.

N.H. Yankee

SA/DA with a decock is my favorite, to me its the best of both worlds. Saying that the quality of the trigger holds more merit than the design. A gritty heavy S/A is not as friendly as a smooth consistant light DAO.

44 AMP

Staff
It all depends on the intended application

When answering these kinds of questions, most people automatically (or unconciously) focus on duty style or defensive handguns. And for them, IMHO, it still depends, on who is holding the gun.

I prefer the single action trigger. I don't mind the DA/SA style, but I wouldn't want one on my .22 plinker. I'm fine with the SA on the 1911A1, for me, but I don't know about you.

For guns that are intended for police duty, I think a light crisp SA trigger is unwise. Because police hold people at gunpoint frequently, I think something more "forgiving" such as a DA/SA, DAO type is safer.

Range shooting, plinking, hunting, a light, crisp SA trigger is the way to go. High stress, "combat" situations? No. Not the best idea, for the majority of people.

drail

I think all the talk about "loss of fine motor skills" is an excuse for poor training. If a safety is too much for you to contend with, get a revolver. Trying to convert a finely tuned SA semiauto trigger into a long mushy revolver type pull (Glock) is not the solution to the problem. It is possible to "hold someone at gunpoint" without having the sights on them and your finger on the trigger. Doing so when you don't intend to shoot will cause problems for many people.

BigJimP

SA in a 1911 - for carry, range etc... set at about 3 1/2 lbs.

( my second choice is a Sig DA/SA - like a 226 model / where I can cock the hammer with my off hand if I choose before I take my first shot ).

easyG

Do you prefer a SA, DA/SA, or DAO trigger?

Or do you lean more towards the trigger pull on a traditional striker fired pistol like the Glock or XD

I like different ones for different reasons....

For plinking and bullseye shooting, a SA revolver is a pure joy.
Just a few pounds pressure, and just a hair of travel, and "BANG!!!"

For carrying a gun in my pocket a DA revolver with a heavy trigger-pull is the way to go.
A 10+ pound trigger-pull on a revolver is very safe.

For a gun in a belt-holster, I prefer the Glock trigger.
It's consistant, unlike a DA/SA, and it has a very short reset which makes follow-up shots very fast.

Trying to convert a finely tuned SA semiauto trigger into a long mushy revolver type pull (Glock) is not the solution to the problem.
"long mushy revolver type pull".....What???

Yeah, there is some trigger travel BEFORE you get to the actual "trigger-pull"....
But once you take up the slack and are at the true "trigger pull" (where you first feel resistance in the trigger), the actual pull is short and sweet.
This is why it has such a short reset for follow-up shots.
The Glock trigger is good!

I prefer what you could call simulated DAO. By that I mean the striker-fired, pre-loaded triggers like Glock's. I think these provide the smoothest, most consistent pull. SA triggers make the gun jerk on the break (for me, YMMV). DA/SA i think is just ridiculous, I mean pick a type already (No personal offense to it's fans). True DOA usually results in a harder pull that's more likely to torque the pistol (and then there's the reset). That's my opinion, however that smells.

predecessor

Perhaps the main thing I was trying to figure out was a consensus name for the striker fired single action style of trigger. Technically, they are just single action triggers (with the exception of the Walther AS and Taurus 24/7 Pro style of single action triggers that can be de-cocked). But they feel quite a bit different from the single action trigger pulls on a hammer style action. I was also curious as to which style of trigger folks liked most. Some interesting responses so far, thanks! Suppose I should chime in with my own thoughts now:

Personally, I prefer a traditional single action trigger. I seem to shoot it faster and more accurately than the stiffer safety/striker/single actions. I've never been able to get those triggers to run faster than a traditional single so it is interesting to see the comments about "fast resets" -- definitely faster when compared to a DAO though. And I'm not a huge fan of DAO's for lack of speed and accuracy but they have their place for safety. I like the capability of DA/SA pistols for safety reasons. I rarely shoot them from the DA position, but I feel a loaded chamber is safer with a DA/SA action decocked than I do with the safety/striker/single actions. Way too many stories of idiots (Plaxico and the infamous ATF guy come immediately to mind) discharging those style of actions accidentally. But of those style of triggers I've been most impressed with the performance of the Steyr M9-A1.