Trigger Types - What's your favorite?

predecessor

Do you prefer a SA, DA/SA, or DAO trigger?

Or do you lean more towards the trigger pull on a traditional striker fired pistol like the Glock or XD -- What is the consensus name for that style of trigger anyway? Seems like a different name is given for it by different manufacturers...

At any rate, tell us what you like best and why!

evan1293

Glock safe action. I don't like having a SA trigger for self defense due to loss of fine motor skill and the need to manipulate a safety. DAOs tend to be long and slower to manipulate. DA/SA still have a decock lever which adds another step to running the gun. The safe action pull and alike are point and shoot guns, with the same pull every time, coupled with a short reset which allows them to be shot fast like a SA gun.

wnycollector

I have personally never had a problem with DA/SA triggers. I shoot LOTS of DA revolver do my 1st shot DA is never very far off the mark. I like the LONG smooth DA trigger pull it high stress situations.

Kermit

let's see -- countless rounds through DA wheelguns & DAO semi autos, 1000's upon 1000's of rounds through my 1911's and BHP, and an equal number through DA/SA semi autos followed by my striker fired guns P7M8 and G19.
I don't really have a favorite. I like them all the same :D

TailGator

I will vote for the Glock safety action because that is what I am most accustomed to at this point. At an earlier point I made that choice consciously, though, aware that DA was longer and stiffer, and DAO is a pretty light touch. It seemed to me like a reasonable compromise in safety and responsiveness.

David the Gnome

DA/SA, hammer-fired, and a decocker. ;)

P229-SAS-Gen2-TTdetail-L.jpg

evan1293

Quote:
I don't like having a SA trigger for self defense due to loss of fine motor skill...

Hey Evan, can you give me additional insight on this? I'm not sure I understand. Thanks!

Certainly...Stress does funny things to the body. At a heart rates of 175bpm plus coupled with an epinephrine dump from fight or flight, normally easy skills become quite difficult. I heard one gentleman use the term "when fingers turn to flippers." Doing one thing with one hand and not the other becomes next to impossible. Performing tasks with the finger tips causes great difficulty because of vaso-constriction and the blood returning to the center of the body to protect the organs. These are only a few of the physical effects of adrenaline on the body.

Knowing that these things occur during stress (not to mention all the mental effects that occur), I believe that a DAO or safe action type trigger is a better choice. I don't want to have to think to manipulate a safety. Remember, its not just during the drawing process that you have to hit the safety. Its whenever you return to low ready, hold a suspect at gun point, scan / search an area, etc. You not only have to remember to disengage the safety but also engage it at the appropriate times. For myself, I don't want to have to work harder to run my gun then I need to during a high stress situation. I'd rather focus all my mental energy on observing, orienting, deciding and acting in the altercation rather than needing to manipulate safeties and decockers. Point and shoot guns are superior for that type of situation, IMHO. Another issue with SA guns is that the trigger pull is very short. While potentially an advantage for gun games and bullseye, I feel that these types of actions could be a liability for me during a deadly encounter. With a DAO / safe action pull, the amount of travel necessary to fire a shot is greater than an SA pull. When finger sensitivity is reduced during stress, a shooter may not realize that they are pulling a SA trigger before its too late. A DAO type trigger gives them more time to realize their taking up the trigger.

I think that a SA gun would be fine for folks who train enough to make it work. Certainly there are many well trained and competent shooters that can run a SA gun like a sewing machine. They can manipulate safties or decockers almost without a thought. Unconcious competence is the level we all must get to with our defensive tools and that holds just as true for running guns with safeties or decockers. For myself, I just like to keep it simple. :)

Dobe

SA. I'm found of the 1911, but I like the SA on the P7M8 too.

I began most of my centerfire shooting with a DA revolver. I was surprised at how accurate one can be. I haven't had any problem transitioning to a DA/SA with my P30.

So, I like 'em all, and happy to have the opportunity to shoot.

SW40F

I am liking DAO, or revolver DA, a lot more as I get older.

I seem to have some of each, but DAO has a certain appeal for its simplicity.

chris in va

I'm frankly amazed with my Kahr's DAO trigger. It's light enough to make smooth work of good marksmanship, but enough travel to keep things safe. Same trigger pull every time and no 'safety' levers and devices to overcome.

JMBstudent

Show me a 2-1/2# double action that is as smooth as my Gold Cup and I'll reconsider.
Until then why bother with all that travel and force.
DA & DAO are fine for carry.
I'm a paper and steel shooter.