Trigger Spring for P320?

DubC-Hicks

Hey guys, a friend of mine just bought a P320. It's his first handgun and he's just trying to get the hang of them. He isn't a fan of the super crisp and light trigger though, he's a little uncomfortable with it. Are there any aftermarket heavier trigger springs he can buy for the 320?

DubC-Hicks

He liked it when he checked it out in the store, but has become uncomfortable with it. Especially since he has tossed around the idea of getting his concealed carry license.

TunnelRat

My thoughts exactly. And he plans on that. But for now, he needs a heavier spring.

I honestly don't know of someone selling heavier springs. It's not like Glock yet where there are loads of aftermarket parts. Maybe try calling SIG? I'm not sure if they would just ship a spring though since they wouldn't want the customer doing the install. That or try calling Bruce Gray at GGI. He might be able to make something.

Slimjim9

Hmm, a heavier spring won't lengthen the pull. If he "likes Sig" maybe he should have got a P250 instead? Another option instead of momicking up a perfectly good P320 would be to get a Ruger LCR (I recommend the 357 version) - a "more forgiving" trigger (though still takes practice/training) for a new carrier.

DubC-Hicks

I also recommended the P250 and loads of other guns with heavier triggers and safeties. But he's very stubborn and once he got the idea of the 320 in his head, he had to have it. He's not going to sell it or trade it for anything else.

I'll tell him to contact Sig and Gray's Guns.

Walt Sherrill

The trigger spring RETURNS the trigger to the starting position, and while it can affect the trigger pull, I doubt that it's the spring that's causing him discomfort. Other things are causing his issues.

That's surprising, too, as a super crisp and light trigger is what most folks are seeking. Sounds as though he's just gotten the wrong gun for him.

I suspect he's uncomfortable with the striker spring and mechanism -- and if so, he'll have to wait until someone comes out with an after-market kit for that mechanism.

Gray Guns is starting to work on P320, but their work (while arguably worth every penny) does not come cheaply. (The work below may cost as much as the gun itself.)

http://grayguns.com/competition-action-package-rear-sight-guide-rod-p320/

TunnelRat

He is now offering a carry action-action package. Do have to warn you, hist wait time is 12-14 weeks for Sigs, and not sure how the holidays will effect this time

My hope in the suggestion was Gray may be able to provide just a spring. But most of his packages should either result in a trigger pull weight of equal or lesser than the factory.

T. O'Heir

"...But for now, he needs a heavier spring..." Um, no, he needs the training. There's no part of a 320 he can deal with himself anyway. Kind of sounds like your buddy bought the wrong pistol.

DubC-Hicks

I agree he bought the wrong pistol for him, and he's somewhat incompetent with it. But he won't listen to reason and advice, so I'm looking for anything to help. I'll still tell him about Gray. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

WVsig

Gray guns is not going to be able to help him. All the work they do is to make the Sig P320 a smoother trigger. They do not lighten the trigger pull unless you ask for a competition trigger but the work they do make the trigger "feel" lighter because it is smoother.

It is going in the wrong direction. There is nothing that is going to make this trigger longer or heavier. Sorry but that is the reality.

Walt Sherrill

One of the action kits offered by Gray Guns for the other P-series (hammer-fired) SIGs is over $300. And that's just an array of springs and a part or two. As as WVSig noted, most of Gray Gun's work and parts makes things feel smoother and lighter... That won't help the owner of the P-320 in question.

The owner of the P-320 needs to look for a different gun -- or some instruction that will make him more comfortable with the gun he has. In effect, he's trying to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.

Anything he does now will be costly. He would probably be better served by trying to sell it (not trade it in through a dealer) and take the hit and get a gun that suits him better.

DubC-Hicks

He asked me for help trying to look for a handgun, and I recommended almost every double action, DA/SA, and striker fire with a safety, but he went out and bought the 320 instead. I've already suggested selling it, but he won't do that. I've also recommended training, but he won't pay the money. I guess I was just trying to do anything at all to make it even slightly safer for him. I'll let him know though. Thank you all

Slimjim9

DubC-Hicks said:
he's somewhat incompetent with it. But he won't listen to reason and advice.
I say this in the nicest way possible, but that a pretty dangerous combination. At the top you said "it's his first handgun". If he won't listen to those who have gone before him, I seriously question whether he has the proper mindset to own a firearm at this point.

DubC-Hicks

I agree. But he made the decision to buy one, and asked for help. I suggested taking classes or something first, but he wouldn't. So really the only thing I could do was recommend the safest handgun possible. But he went out and bought the striker fired gun with the lightest and shortest trigger of them all. And with him not wanting to sell, I'm trying to just figure something out for him.