Trail Boss in .357sig

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I loaded a few rounds for an experiment tomorrow.:D

Anybody want to guess how it'll work?

4.0gr under 125gr Montana Gold FMJ.

QuickLoads says 755fps from my 3.46" Glock 33.

Will it work the slide? Will it squib out?!

Stay tuned!

MR_X

Might be a bit lazy but it might work. I load 4.1 in my 1911 for 45 using 12lb recoil spring and it was fine, lazy but worked the action.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The factory spring in my G33 is 18lbs IIRC. Might be 16, I can't remember for sure. I don't expect any squib but I'm not sure if it'll work the slide fully.

Sevens

I say there is very little chance of either. It will not squib, it will not work the slide.

You may end up with a manually operated repeater that allows you to decide where your brass gets thrown! ;)

jtmckinney

I'm also looking forward for the results. If it works are you going to suggest it for a self defence round:D?

Trail Boss is a fast powder just bulkier than other powders. I always thought you used fast powders to cycle the action of semi-autos when shooting reduced power loads.

Please keep us informed.
James

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Well, it's louder and has more recoil than I expected and it doesn't quiiite work the slide. All cases jammed either classic stovepipe or mouth jammed against barrel hood.

I think I'm about 0.5 below true max so maybe I'll try higher, not that it serves any real purpose except to satisfy my curiosity.

bledsoeG19

I have some 800x and some AA #7 that I'm excited about using. Just ran out of brass. Have to shoot up some of what I have loaded before I can try anything else out.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
800x is cool because max loads are compressed. No bullet setback to worry about. I haven't chronyed them but they're stout. Power Pistol max loads are too, as I recall. Both are very potent.

mnoirot64

800x is cool because max loads are compressed. No bullet setback to worry about. I haven't chronyed them but they're stout. Power Pistol max loads are too, as I recall. Both are very potent.

I believe IMR 800-X is an underrated powder for auto pistols. I've used it a lot in 40 and 45 ACP. I am going to work up some loads in 357 SIG before too much longer. Fortunately I have around 5 pounds of it left. Another shot shell powder which I really like, and can really launch a bullet, is Hodgdon Longshot.

bledsoeG19

Seems like all the load data I've found on 800x and aa 7 are really close to the same published velocities. I have 90, 115, 124, and 147 grain hornady xtp's to set on top of them. I will say that the 90 grain bullets turn into little screamers no matter what the powder.... well maybe except for trail boss.

Sorry brian, I couldn't help myself.

MR_X

I would like to give 800X a try but I keep seeing that it isn't the best metering powder (actually one of the worst). What are you guys using to meter it? I have a Hornady LnL and a LCT with the Auto Disk.

OP how did you like the smell of those Cherios (Trail Boss)? I can't stand the smell of it and I avoid shooting it indoors.

mnoirot64

I would like to give 800X a try but I keep seeing that it isn't the best metering powder (actually one of the worst). What are you guys using to meter it? I have a Hornady LnL and a LCT with the Auto Disk.

OP how did you like the smell of those Cherios (Trail Boss)? I can't stand the smell of it and I avoid shooting it indoors.

IMR 800-X doesn't meter through any type of case activated powder system. I use a Hornady AutoCharge powder system. No issues at all with measuring through it. Going that route will certainly take a bit more time.

Strafer Gott

The issue with 800X is the flake size is really big! I throw under weight charges and trickle to weight with an RCBS powder trickler. I like 800X for the clean burn and good accuracy. The biggest plus is that I actually have some!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus

I've never noticed that it has any peculiar smell. I don't shoot indoors at all.

I use 800x two ways. It meters within +-0.3gr so I stay at least 0.3 under max. Those are plinking loads and I don't care if there's a 1/2 grain variance. A lot of times, there's a safe load range of 2gr or more, so I just aim for the middle.

If I'm going for top end loads, which is where 800x really rocks, I use an RCBS Chargemaster. All powders meter the same with that. ;)

mnoirot64

I've never noticed that it has any peculiar smell. I don't shoot indoors at all.

I use 800x two ways. It meters within +-0.3gr so I stay at least 0.3 under max. Those are plinking loads and I don't care if there's a 1/2 grain variance. A lot of times, there's a safe load range of 2gr or more, so I just aim for the middle.

If I'm going for top end loads, which is where 800x really rocks, I use an RCBS Chargemaster. All powders meter the same with that. ;)

800-X and Longshot were both designed for shot shells. At the upper end, they will spit our the projectile with authority.

Elkins45

800X is a constant reminder for 10mm shooters that there is no such thing as a perfect world. It's the ideal powder for full power loads in 10mm except that I'm too afraid of the metering variability to use anything other than hand weighed charges.

800X may well be the reason I break down and buy an automated powder dispenser some day. I have a giant can of the stuff I bought 15 years ago and I'll bet I haven't used 1/2 a pound of it.