Traded my namesake today

redhawk41

Traded my .41 mag Redhawk 5.5” for a .44 mag Super Blackhawk 4.6”. No real reason, guess I just don’t feel like being different any more, which is really the only reason to go .41 instead of .44. Still have my M57 though.

44 AMP

Staff
Congrats, the SA is a very different beast. I prefer the longer barrels, mine is a 7.5".

If you get to thinking about changing the grips, be sure and get ones for the Super Blackhawk, NOT the Blackhawk. The Super's grip frame is slightly longer and Blackhawk grips won't fit.

redhawk41

Thanks. it’s primarily a woods gun carried in a vertical shoulder holster and the shorter barrel seemed a bit more manageable for this application. I really like the wood grips and how they look against the stainless but will need to shoot it a bit to see how they feel.

44 AMP

Staff
A word of advice, if you aren't experienced with SA revolvers, DON'T try and hold it on target during recoil, just hang on so you don't drop it! :D

The original SA grip shape was designed for optimal use one handed (and on horseback) where your other hand was going to be busy with the reins, or perhaps a saber.

The gun is intended to be held fairly loosely, so it can roll in the hand, putting the hammer closer to the thumb for recocking as you pull it down from recoil.

VERY different from the DA grip shape, which is meant to help hold the gun on target more.

Do be aware that if you're shooting 200gr plus at 1100fps plus the gun may smack your middle finger with the back of the triggerguard. It does me, so I use grips that fill in behind the triggerguard, and personally I prefer Pachmayr rubber.

Drm50

My first centerfire revolver was a Ruger SBH back in 60s. Still have it but only use it for deer hunting. I’ve got several 29-2s, my favorites being 6-6.5” barrels. Don’t like 4” at all and got a 83/8” that shoots fine but not any better than the 6”.
The S&W Ns are easier for most to shoot well than SAs. Back in 60s I had ever Ruger BH made, in each barrel length. The only ones I got left are the old Single-6s & SBH.
My old Ruger is one of only revolvers I have that does best with full house magnum loads / 240gr JHP.
d19a980a131d9b784ba60f5aba6c8071.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bamaranger

heavy metal

Shoulder holster or not, you will find the Super B with its shorter barrel and simpler frame a lot easier to carry. I decided a long time ago that I liked shooting 6-7.5" guns, but not toting them around.

stagpanther

Agree with Bama--I had a super blackhunt hunter in 44 mag and figuring out how to haul that around in the woods and practically access it (and not have it fall out) was a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. For wrist arthritis in your old age--can't be beat. :D

redhawk41

Haven’t packed it yet but definitely feels lighter in general handling. And guess I’m going to start casting bullets seeing as how I just ordered a furnace pot, molds and some alloy.

Drm50

I carry almost all field guns on left side. Some in crossdraw type holster such as Bianchi 111
for the long barrels. Others just in right hand thumb breaks on left side. All my handguns are naked, no optics,silencers or other attachments. Haven’t run into situation hunting yet that required fast drawing on an animal.
I did the shoulder & chest holster and didn’t like it. Can’t tell people how to carry, it’s what is comfortable for them.

44 AMP

Staff
I have pistols with barrels from 2" to 14". 7.5" and under can go on a belt or in a shoulder rig, either works for me. Longer goes in a shoulder rig, and the longest carry better in one of the chest rigs.

Personal preference, everybody makes their own call.

redhawk41

Put some 240gr cowboy loads (900fps) down range today and what a joy! Can’t wait to start casting and shooting some 200gr RFPs. Shot half the box today will shoot the other half next time then move on to some magnum rounds.

It’s nice how the recoil rolls back in your hand and positions itself for re-cocking. With some practice I should be able to get faster at follow up shots. I think I’m going to like this revolver!

Drm50

I recently bought a gang mold from MilSpec. It pours 213gr HB bullets, blunt end almost WC.
You can change out core pins to cast solids if wanted. Has nice system of hinge type core pins that don’t require taking in and out. Pours quick as normal solids from gang mold. I couldn’t find data for these so used a little algebra to come up with charge and MV of about 865fps based on 6” barrel. Got 100 stuffed and ready to test.

smee78

I'm glad you had a good range visit with your new 44, there is just something enjoyable about shooting a single action.

45Colt is my go-to caliber because of what you described, how the revolver rolls back. The Colt is more of a push versus the more snappy-ish feeling of a 240 grn 44 Blackhawk in my experience.

But I did add a 41 Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 barrel and a brass frame to the collection just because it was a good deal and I didn't have a 41 in the collection.

tex45acp

The .41mag is my favorite revolver caliber and I own a few, including 3 stainless Redhawks. I love the ability to have the double action as opposed to the single action but still have that option. Like you I wanted a 4" woods carry gun, and after many years of searching for one, I came across a 5.5" that I cut down to 4". I also did a complete trigger job polishing all trigger components, including springs. It has the smoothest trigger of any gun I have ever shot, and several friends have stated the same about it. I recrowned the barrel with the Ruger 45degree crown, machined the top rail to accept a new front sight with interchangeable blades, dehorned the whole gun and bead blasted it as well. I rounded the bottom corners of the grip frame and the wood grips to match.
HPIM0734.jpg

NewSight.jpg

jetinteriorguy

The .41mag is my favorite revolver caliber and I own a few, including 3 stainless Redhawks. I love the ability to have the double action as opposed to the single action but still have that option. Like you I wanted a 4" woods carry gun, and after many years of searching for one, I came across a 5.5" that I cut down to 4". I also did a complete trigger job polishing all trigger components, including springs. It has the smoothest trigger of any gun I have ever shot, and several friends have stated the same about it. I recrowned the barrel with the Ruger 45degree crown, machined the top rail to accept a new front sight with interchangeable blades, dehorned the whole gun and bead blasted it as well. I rounded the bottom corners of the grip frame and the wood grips to match.
HPIM0734.jpg

NewSight.jpg
Now that’s a beauty, I’d add it to my two Model 57’s in an instant. I believe these have the same trigger setup as the GP’s and I love the trigger on mine. So easy to slick these triggers, some easy polishing, springs and shims from TriggerShims.com and you’re good to go.

TruthTellers

I probably wouldn't have made the trade, I think the Redhawk is probably the best DA revolver Ruger makes, but I can understand why you'd choose .44 instead.

I've never been hip to .41 or .44, but being a revolver fan when I consider what's a caliber larger than .357 that I can get in a 5 shot smaller than N frame and .44 is pretty much it and available in a cheap Taurus. If Taurus made that 5 shot .44 in .41... I would have to think about it, especially if they got it to fit 6.

44 AMP

Staff
Shooting small, light (for class) revolvers with too many magnum loads is a good way to get nerve damage to your hands and forearms.

A double handful or two, once in a while, seems ok but a few hundred a month could end your handgunning hobby over a summer. I've seen it happen to people with snub noses and too many full house .357 loads in a relatively short period of time. The .44 in a small gun would be as bad or worse.

Is guaranteed to happen? NO, but it can, and why risk your ability to shoot handguns larger than .22LR just for fun?