Total disappointment with Mossberg

GarandTd

My 1st handgun had an incredibly stiff safety. It almost took both hands to manipulate it. All it took was the 1st range trip to loosen it up. Some mechanical things need to broken in, not to function, but to function better.

My Maverick 88, a budget version of the Mossberg 500, works great. If I push the slide release while pointing the muzzle upward, the slide opens fully under the power of gravity. I doubt it was like that outta the box.....break in and all.

musicmatty

I just found this video, it was made three days ago Dec 29, 2021. This video adds confirmation to what I recently encountered with the new Mossberg’s. It also illustrates just how good older various models are and how they should not be overlooked. I learned a long time ago if I parked my ego, I may learn something. Loyalty to any brand going down the tubes only serves the foolish.

https://youtu.be/VhLaLtK_RtI

HiBC

Loyalty to any brand going down the tubes only serves the foolish.
If you look for William Blakes work "The Proverbs of Hell" you may find the line "If the Fool would persist in His Folly.
He would become Wise"

jaguarxk120

HiBC this maybe hard to take but there are gun makers out there that make
ISO Standards look like kids play.
I'm talking about the real gunmakers of bespoke guns.
Now parts are made on CNC machining centers and then hand fitted by real gunsmiths
to a gun that is ordered with every detail taken care of.

The world of ISO is where 8 hours training on assembly and they become gunsmiths!!!
Stamped, molded, injection molded, and parts made with the smallest amount
of machining are now being used in today's less costly guns.

amd6547

I have a hard time believing those Mossberg’s won’t break in to be as smooth as my old 500…
In fact, I’d be willing to trade my nice, smooth, pre-broken in 500 straight across for your brand new oh so stiff 590.

HiBC

HiBC this maybe hard to take but there are gun makers out there that make
ISO Standards look like kids play.

Are you thinking I don't know that?

While you are off in la la land I'm trying to explain the alleged lack of "QC" in the mfgr of a Mossberg shotgun.

Try checking the context of the post and remaining relevant.

The world is full of too many worthless Narcissists who don't have the stones to make a post to try to help someone.

They sit in the wings and take cheap shots without offering anything useful.

If you know so much.write it up and teach me something.

Last edited:

musicmatty

The world is full of too many worthless Narcissists who don't have the stones to make a post to try to help someone.

They sit in the wings and take cheap shots without offering anything useful.

This will be my last post in this thread regarding this issue. Let me start by saying that I’m not a novice to shotguns as I’ve been firing them since 1980. The two Mossbergs that I handled were beyond reasonable expectations from my experience and what pump action should feel like new out-of-the-box.

At the end of the day, I guess it’s all subjective to each person. Thanks for all the feedback and happy new year to everyone. Stay safe shooting and try to safeguard our second amendment.

FrankenMauser

Some advice for the newer members:
Just ignore HiBC.
He has very strong opinions that are based on his own detached interpretation of reality. Isolation in the land of Hoth has taken its toll.
Even if he is wrong and every other participant in a thread calls him on it, he will continue to beat his drum (without contributing anything tangible) until he gets the thread locked. In matters of opinion, like this thread, it can be even worse.

In your User CP, there is even an option to hide all posts from a particular user, the 'ignore list'.

Mike38

Do you want cheap CNC'd parts?
Or expensive hand-fitted parts?

A CNC programmer / operator worth their salt can make parts to within 0.0005 (five ten thousandths of an inch) of specs. This is not saying Mossberg is hiring people worth their salt. My guess is they are not deburring the parts, or cleaning the parts prior to assembly.

kymasabe

My Maverick 88, a budget version of the Mossberg 500, works great. If I push the slide release while pointing the muzzle upward, the slide opens fully under the power of gravity. I doubt it was like that outta the box.....break in and all.
My Mossy 500 does exactly the same thing, but she's nicely broken in now. Interestingly, I kept the Mossberg and sold a Rem870 that I thought was too stiff.

dgludwig

"...You will probably notice, when pumping the shotgun, that a tad more effort is required to close the action than to open it. The fact that a shell is being chambered on the closing stoke has little to do with this. Rather, it is because the breech bolt, in being returned to battery position, must pass between the two arms of the forked shell carrier and spread them apart. This extra drag begins shortly after the bolt starts to move forward and is limited to about 1/2" of travel, at which point the carrier arms are snugged up against the receiver walls. This bolt/carrier drag becomes much less noticeable, of course, if the forearm is moved forward very smartly.

"Yet even when this bolt/carrier friction is totally discounted, the shotgun still doesn't measure up as the slickest-operating pump gun to come down the pike-at least my test gun doesn't. This is not to imply that the action stroke is actually rough, nor that it calls for an extra amount of muscle. What seems to be missing is a certain 'freeness', and maybe it's entirely a matter of (the manufacturer) holding the parts relationship to very close tolerances. At any rate, I do look for some improvement as the various working surfaces 'wear in' with continued use. In fact, my test gun is already showing promise of this."

The gun being evaluated was the subject of a test being conducted by shotgun expert Wallace Labisky. Personally, because I place a high priority on smoothness of action on any firearm but especially on a pump gun, I would be disappointed with the as reported performance of this pump shotgun; a Browning BPS, by the way, not a Mossberg. But the evaluation was conducted in 1980, not long after the BPS was introduced, and I suspect, based on the performance of my BPS purchased in 2007, the Browning test gun was experiencing some "teething" problems that were later rectified.

The op's reported shortcomings of his Mossberg pump gun, however, has no such excuse; having being manufactured for over half a century and any early production gremlins having had ample time to be found out and eliminated. Given the long history of successful sales and on my own good experiences with the Mossberg pump gun, any design defect and material deficiency suspicions regarding unacceptable pump-action performance can be put to rest; the real apparent problem being poor quality control.

However, if Mossberg has any hope of surviving in a highly competitive market environ, they'd be well advised to address the problem of poor quality control. No pandemic repercussions, manufacturing shortcuts, problems in the workforce or any other excuse, no matter how valid or well-intended, will be sufficient in restoring any loss of confidence in their products essential to insuring their continued viability in the marketplace.