Top 3 SKS Accuracy Mods

marks655

Best thing is to buy one of those little rubber/plastic apeture sight improvers with the tiny little suction cup that sticks on your shooting glasses and makes the front and rear sight stay in focus ...... this little device alone will cut most 'open sight' groups by half or more. the older you are the more effective it is :D

Daekar

We're heading to the gunshow this weekend, so hopefully we'll have a good-shooting mod candidate soon!

I figured I should do a bit of fiddling with my own SKS (Yugo with little collectors value) so I cut off the bayonet and grenade sight. Made a definite difference in percieved weight! Still appears to shoot about the same. I had forgotten how horrible the trigger on mine is! I think I'm going to get the trigger fixed on mine too, i bet my groups shrink by half.

mp25ds4

you shouldn't have cut off the bayonet, you could've just removed it. As well as the grenade launcher.

tech sights, trigger job, and good ammo will do wonders for accuracy

Daekar

Yeah I could've left the lug on, but I've seen pictures of that and I hate the look. The grenade sight wasn't going to be used for anything, so it went too. The actual launcher is still there, and will be until I pick up a recrowning tool. Then, off it comes! It was really weird using a dremel on a gun, a very surreal experience. I'm used to babying them rather than cutting off pieces. I won't do that to my Mauser, or my M44, even if the bayonet is just extra weight. I never really intended for them to be "practical" guns so that stuff doesn't matter. If I was going to sportize them that would be different... but I would rather just get a T/C for that kind of thing anyway.

The trigger pull on mine is fairly even, but just a bit tight, if that is the proper terminology.

From what I've read about SKS sears and seen on the Surplusrifle SKS breakdown photos, am wondering whether anybody in the Memphis area really knows how to apply moly, and is skilled, but charges very little?

publius

Mine has been MOA from day one w/surplus crap. Shot just fine w/the bayonet but I took it off b/c i didn't like it and I'm not going to stick anything.