Today I have sinned!! TaurusPT-145

denfoote

Today, I have sinned against you, Lord Gaston, for I have traded my G30 for a Taurus PT145!!!
This gun is incredible!!!! 10 rounds of .45ACP, and almost no recoil!!! The accuracy I achieved with this gun is fantastic!!!! It is smaller than the G30,and pocket size, which puts it on par with my beloved G26!!!!! With 230gr S&B hard ball, I was hitting round, after round into the black. Indeed, I can now give up my G26 to my lovely wife without reservation, even if she loses magazines!!!!! My friend, who is a confirmed Glock 26 man, has committed to buy the next PT145 that the store gets in!!! He has sealed this with a deposit!!!!!!!!!! The only thing I perceve as a problem, is the lack of magazines. Does anyone here know a source for these items??? My dealer says that he can get them in about a week. Part of the deal is the inclusion of 5 more magazines. I do not want to wait!!! With the current crises, I have no way to know when my dealer will get more magazines in. Only one mag came with the gun!!! Help me!!!

BigMike

denfoote,
I saw this profiled in a recent Handgunner Mag and it did catch my eye. It looks sweet. Whadya pay for it? Would like to hear on the durability on it. What does the trigger feel like? Looks like an ergonimically designed pistol(i.e. grip, etc.). Holsters? Don't know on the mags but will let you know if I see them.

Mike

Aahzz

I'm curious about the trigger...had a PT111 Millenium, and that had the trigger pull from hell. Stacked badly, and mightily gritty, making practical accuracy a near impossibility. I'm interested in the 145, but the trigger scares me if it's the same...so, how's the trigger?

Lightsped

I bought a PT145 a week or so ago too. I haven't got a chance to fire it yet. From what I can tell the gun is a very solid piece. It does not shake or rattle when you shake it. It is very small for a 11 round 45 ACP pistol, and it looks bad ass. I got mine for 359.00, but I had to do alot of shopping around as it is a new model which may be hard to find in some areas.

TonyPoulos

The review in American Rifleman was very favorable. Sounds like a heckuva pocket rocket.

I understand it comes in 2 flavors - steel or titanium slide. Denfoote, which did u get?

Tony

glockorama

I, too, am curious about your trigger on that 145. I had a pt-111 and it took 3 men and a pack mule to pull the trigger. Sold it within the week. With a good trigger it would have been a nice gun, but jeez, for a major gum manuf to put out a trigger like that.....shame on them. I also thought my 111 was built a little cheaply, it looked like it would have broken easily.:(

Lightsped

The PT145 comes in these two flavors. Blue slide or stainless slide. I myself got the blue one. No Titanium 145 is out yet.

My trigger is kind of rough and heavy, but I have been dry firing it (with snap caps), and the trigger is smoothing out a bit.

Can't wait to test it out at the range!

gbelleh

I bought a PT145 about 2 weeks ago. I've shot 83 rounds through it so far. I was surprised at how accurate it is, and the light recoil. The trigger pull is very long, but not too heavy. I have had a G26 for over 3 years, and I had no problem getting used to the Taurus trigger. I ordered an extra mag from Taurus. It cost around $38. I can't find extra mags anywhere else.
I'm very pleased with the gun, so far. It performed better than I expected at the range. Let me know if you find a good magazine source.

denfoote

Range Report

I have put 50 rounds through my PT145 with no stoppages, or failures to fire. The pistol hits to point of aim, (Boy does it ever!!!!) and yes the trigger is long, and somewhat gritty. The trigger reminds me of the Ruger P95, which is not a bad thing since I have said pistol, and am very used to it. The accuracy is what floored me!! I had heard that the Millennium line were poor performers in this area. I can tell you that at least with the PT145, the reports are bunk!!!! Another thing that struck me was the size. This pistol is no larger than the Glock 26!!! In fact, the pistols are so simular that I can use the Kydex IWB holster that fits my G26 for the PT145!!! Another good thing to report. I will not have to part with my G30 after all!! :) The original deal was that my friend lent me the money to buy the new gun on the condition that I give him the G30. Well, he has relented!!! So, I now have two .45's!!! Does that make me a boulder spitting power freak????? :D Oh BTW, it cost me $330 for the pistol, three boxes of ammo, and a cheap nylon IWB holster. :cool:

In addition, several Taurus dealers in the Phoenix metro area have reported to me that they will be stocking spare magazines for the PT-145 next week!!! The price will be in the $30 range depending on the markup.

New_comer

EUREKA! EUREKA!

Seems to me that you've found your ideal carry piece. Congrats on ur new acquisition.:D

Me? Well, still searching....;)

denfoote

Blades,
I got it from Mandall Shooting Supplies in Scottsdale. I bought the last one he had. He will be ordering more tomorrow, because my friend is also buying one. If you wish to get in on it call Tony at 480-945-2553.

StephenT

I've got one of these also, and mine has been very reliable so far. The trigger is a bit gritty, but doesn't bother me at all. It's a lot of firepower in a small package, and for around $400, a lot of bang for the buck. Good accuracy with mine as well and much more comfortable to hold than the G30 (for me at least)

Lightsped

Question for you guys that have shot your PT145.

How do you pull the trigger? Do you pull it in one fast motion (risking loosing the aim), or do you squeeze it halfway, re-aim (if needed) and finish the pull?

denfoote

Lightsped,
Have you ever shot the Ruger P95??? If so, then you will know how the PT145 trigger works!!! It is a DAO with no decernable break point. I just use a steady even pull. It is a bit gritty though, but it doesn't effect anything, at least, not for me.;)

F

faiello5

Denfoote, is the Taurus' grip as fat as the G30's?

Regards,
Frank

Redlg155

Frank...

There is a review of the Taurus PT145 in Septembers issue of Guns Magazine. In it they list a comparison of the PT 145, G30, and Hk USP .45 Compact.

• Taurus PT 145 .45 ACP
Mag Cap 10/ Weight 23.0 oz/ Length 6"/ Barrel Length 3.27"/ Height 4.87"/ Grip Width 1.125"

• Glock Model 30 .45 ACP
Mag Cap 10/ Weight 23.9 oz/ Length 6.77"/ Barrel Length 3.78"/ Height 4.76"/ Grip Width 1.25"

• HK USP Compact .45 ACP
Mag Cap 8/ Weight 25.6 oz/ Length 7.09"/ Barrel Length 3.8"/ Height 5.06"/ Grip Width 1.14"

Good Shooting
RED

F

faiello5

Thanks Red.

Denfoote, how about the all important subjective feel of the grip of the Taurus compared to the G30? Does if feel thinner?

Regards,
Frank