Tired of hearing about Remington 700's!

Horseman

Would it be possible to like 700's and Savages? Is that legal or do we have to love one and hate the other? Good grief, if we can't accept that EVERY gun has pros and cons than this discussion will go on forever. Nothing is perfect. If you get burned with a bad shooter pull your skirt up and buy something else.

dgludwig

I like the new safety configuration. I've hunted a lot in heavy cover and have never had the bolt get kicked open. I think it adds to the versatility of the rifle and it is a feature I enjoy.

GAR700, if you unload your new Remington 700 in a safe manner (like we should do with any firearm), I guess I fail to see how the new safety configuration adds to the "versatility" of the rifle. :confused:

But like you rightly noted, each to his own.

mkg

Ah well it's been almost an hour so horeseman , I'll answer for ME !

Would it be possible to like 700's and Savages?

For ME not likely . I bought a gun based on reputation, in a caliber that also had a good rep. for being very accurate. I laid down my $600 happily . I didn't get my moneys worth period.
Fool me once shame on you , fool me twice ...well you the rest. I'm not saying that I will NEVER own another Remington product ( I think I have some rem-oil here somewhere :D j/k )
However they will have to show me something to earn my money next time.

If you get burned with a bad shooter pull your skirt up and buy something else.

That is what I did ( well except the skirt part )

I have no love for Savage or any other gunmaker . They are tools ! Tools intended to do a job ( think of Craftsman power tools in the in the 60's,70's and 80's they were fine tools ,I still have a circular saw and jig saw ,they did a job as expected. Craftsman power tools today are not what they once were. )
I am pretty well set with bolt actions but you never know . If Savage were to burn me for $600 on a rifle that didn't shoot I'd move on . There is no loyalty due any manufacture based on a name , now performance is another story altogether.

But that's just me ...

Mike

j.chappell

Ok guys, I think we have run this one in the ground.

I have Weatherbys, Remingtons, Savages, Winchesters, Mausers, Rugers, TCs, Howas, FNs, Springfields, Stevens, Ubertis, and some Customs. I'm sure I left some out, oh Marlins, Colts, Sauers, and Brownings. I think that is it. Oh and H&R, Hi Point, and CZ.

Now all of my current stock shoot to acceptable levels, this was not always the case. It has taken me some time to find all of these accurate rifles. Have I gotten some bad ones even in the high end well yes and no.

A bad shooting Mauser is not the same as a bad shooting Remington or Winchester. But yes I have had not so good rifles in almost every make.

I just opened this thread to point out that some of us are really tired of the 700 fanatics. If you have a good one well that’s great, tell us all about it.

If you are so closed minded that you think there is no better rifle cause that’s what you and your pap have always shot, well then just try to let the rest of us ignorant wretches be satisfied with our less that Remington 700 rifles.

I'd just like to thank everone for there input on this subject.

Last edited:

Slamfire

When the classic bolt ruled the Highpower matches, half the actions were Remington 700's, and the rest were M70's. The M700 can be built into a reliable and accurate rifle.

I have two. The 30-06 is in a plastic Remington stock. I have not shot it much, it is between a 1.5 and 2 MOA rifle. Probably closer to 1.5" The other, a M700 in 6.5 Swede. It is a 1.5 MOA rifle.

I think the accuracy of both could be improved with better bedding. I am in the process of bedding the 6.5 Swede. The factory bedding had the barrel touching the side of the barrel channel, and the factory created a pressure point in the barrel channel. I believe a free floating barrel is the best way to go, and am in the process of relieving the channel.

We will see whether better bedding will make the thing shoot tighter groups.

Still both are plenty accurate as hunting rifles. Shooting unsupported, the shooter is the greatest source of inaccuracy in the system. Shooter's errors are in the order of yards, not inches.

Horseman

MKG,

Fair enough. I'm not doubting anybody's gripe with Remmy's. They are not perfect IMO. I've gotten really good shooters lately with a 700P and a Sendero SFII in 7mmRem.Mag. I compete with a VS in 22-250 and I do OK with it. It's shooting .2's and .3's with moly coated Bergers. I own and have owned some 700 sporter weight barrels that didn't shoot as good.

I never had a problem with Savages accuracy I just don't care for the looks or fit and finish.

R.Childs

Since I own my own private range and am afilliated with the local gun store, I get to sight in a lot of new and used rifles of all makes and calibers, so my impressions/experiences are not based on one or two rifles that I own.

My impressions:

The 700 action is a fine action and is capable of being very accurate. With that said, the scrap metal Remington is putting out now is awful. Most of what I've shot won't hold MOA.

The Browning A-Bolts are surprising. The ones I've shot average better than the 700's. Some shot down right tight. Most of the BAR's have even outshot the A-Bolts. If I was a semi-auto guy I would have to have one.

Rugers..............gimme a break! I do actually have a couple heavy barreled 22-250's and they shoot extremely well, but I've worked on them to do it.

Savage/Stevens, day in and day out, the clear winner. The elcheapo $300 Stevens 200 will outshoot that high priced 700 nine out of ten times. You want a meat gun, one that don't look good but performs outstanding, get that Stevens 200 and never look back. Put the money you saved on quality optics.

For the record:

I don't own a Savage or Stevens.

I do own a Remington 700 in 25-06. Great shooter...............after a bedding job and I did a trigger job on it. Yes, it's an older one.

When sighting these guns in I'm bound to the ammunition provided me to perform that task. With different ammo the guns may do better or worse. I'm sure they would do better with reloads. Personally I haven't shot a factory load in any of my guns since I started reloading 20 years ago and the reason is I've always been able to do better with reloads.

bhannah

ahhh yea

I am kind of in the same boat as the OP here, I got this 30/06 this year.
First 06 I ever shot as a matter of fact.
Took it out to the range with some 200 grain core loc's.
Shot off the entire box.

That rifle shot for ****...
But it must have been the ammo...
The next box I shot 2" groups
The next box 1.5 " groups
The next box 1" groups
Now after having 1000 rounds through it it is sub moa...
Kind of weird huh?
Same thing happened with my ruger super redhawk .44 mag....
Seems like the more ammo i shoot the better the gun gets....
go figure.....

j.chappell

bhannah,

There is a reason for that. Instead of having your barrels hand lapped you simply shot out the imperfections in your bore resulting in less fouling, increased velocity, and improved accuracy.

Swampghost

chappell is right on this one, it's also one of the major reasons that I like to buy used firearms. They come 'broken in', less expensive too. Getting older does impart some wisdom.

bhannah

My point was....
People buy a new gun take it out of the box and are mad because it doesn't shoot the way they think it should.
YOU get better with ANY firearm the more you shoot it.

The more you know the gun the better you are...
The trigger on my 22-250 breaks alot sooner than my 06
The 45/70 kicks a tad more than the .243...
No gun is going to shoot like an other you have to get to know it ....

j.chappell

PHP:
My point was....
People buy a new gun take it out of the box and are mad because it doesn't shoot the way they think it should.
YOU get better with ANY firearm the more you shoot it.

The more you know the gun the better you are... 
The trigger on my 22-250 breaks alot sooner than my 06
The 45/70 kicks a tad more than the .243...
No gun is going to shoot like an other you have to get to know it ....

That is exactly right.

I have been shooting for so long and have shot so many different firearms that I have a tendency to judge rifles quickly. I'll admit that I dont always give some rifles as much time as others but that usually is dependent upon the action, caliber, and make.

bhannah

so new vs old then

I think if you buy used it is buyer beware..
Unless you know who had the gun prior.Or how they treated it.

I have been burnt WAAAYYYY to many times on a used gun...
But I still buy them...

sc928porsche

Remington makes a good rifle. I have never cared for the "sloppy" feel of the bolt once it is opened. Winchester, Ruger, Sako, Savage all have a better feel. The remington reminds me of the old milsurp with the bolts open.

This does not make for an inaccurate rifle once the bolt is locked but it just makes me wonder why they couldnt have made the bolt a better fit.

Let's see:

1000 rounds for the rifle to break in to be accurate.

1000/20rnds per box=50 boxes of ammo

50 boxes times say $25 a box=$1250

Or you could just go get a rifle that works out of the box for a lot less.

mkg

O-BG

Or this

Savage model 12 action ( stainless ) ... $365 -Northlander shooting supply
Shelien 26 " stainless hand lapped select match barrel ... $270 -Northlander shooting supply
B&C Duramax stock ... $100 - Midway

Tack driver for $735 Out of the boxes
Save you shoulder and ammo :D
Mike

Talk about bolt fit, I once had a Colt Sauer made in Germany. That bolt was like bushing ball bearings. I've never felt such a slick bolt in my life. I'd buy an complete action for a project gun any day of the week. But I'm a left handed shooter and this gun was just not for me, it had to go.

Attachments

• colt-06#3.JPG
    colt-06#3.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 38
  • colt-06#4.JPG
    colt-06#4.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 32

skinewmexico

The .270 is destined to become a 7mmWSM as soon as I get the parts together. Bolt face , barrel and an hour in the basement, I'm good to go.

Mike

What do you do to take that long to change the barrel on a Savage? Make cookies?